i was stuffing around with my marshall dsl 100 today and had a 'great' idea to swap my stock tubes around, long story short...there ****ed stupid me..BUT, i wanted all new power and pre amp tubes anyway so bleh...i've been scouring the 'net looking for excellent EL34 and 12AX7 tubes and the following one's seem to be the bee's knees from what the reviews say...4 - Tung-Sol 12AX7 and 2 pairs matched quartet Winged "C" (SED) EL34...now will these help me achieve modern metal tones..such as..machine head's (the blackening) trivium-bullet-parkway drive-AILD etc etc...any input is very welcome people, i'd like to get as much feedback as possible..cheers btw..do marshall dsl 100's 2008 models and up have a cathode follower stage? what the hell is it anyway?
Last edited by trussrodking at Jun 25, 2010,
Tungsol 12AX7s are pretty bright (but in a good way). V3 on those is a cathode follower so put a JJ in there and TungSols in the others.

Winged C would be a good choice, so would JJ. Actually, Shuguangs from China sound good in a Marshall too. If you're scraping for the cash they are a viable alternative.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Tungsol 12AX7s are pretty bright (but in a good way). V3 on those is a cathode follower so put a JJ in there and TungSols in the others.

Winged C would be a good choice, so would JJ. Actually, Shuguangs from China sound good in a Marshall too. If you're scraping for the cash they are a viable alternative.

cheers dude, no cash isn't a problem, in saying that though i'm not going to pay like 6oo bucks for tubes know what i'm saying lol..$350 and under MAX