I'm trying to put an organ riff that is in 4/4 with a drum beat that's in 9/8, so my figuring is that they will line up at (the same tempo) after 9 measures of 4/4, and 8 measures of 9/8. Is this right?

The math-
9/8 is 9 eights per bar
4/4 is 8 eights per bar
common denominator is 72 eights
divide 72 by 8 for 4/4 bars = 9
'' '' by 9 for 9/8 bars = 8
Yeah... Pretty much... but then people could just think the drums sound fucked up next to the 4/4 organ riff...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
just add another note into the organ riff, to make it 9/8 and just make it easier for everyone, listeners and playing included.

Or go extremely basic and take away a quaver from the drum beat. But now it's just getting too boring.

But this kind of stuff really only works with things like 3/4, 4/4. where both a consistent beat. But the 9/8 adds an extra off beat, so shit WILL get real.

Toodles!

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
shit WILL get real.

That's a pretty good description of what it'll sound like.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
If you want to hear it, it's uploaded on my profile. I just sampled the riffs and changed tempos. interesting stuff.
to be honest, making something in 4/4 and something in 9/8 sound good together is really hard, but you nailed it dude.
i listened to your profile, and it sounds f*ckin awsome
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic