Page 1 of 2
But TS, you don't understand, DEY BE TAKIN DEM JERBS!
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
But dey took ur jeerbz?
Last edited by Ascendant at Jun 25, 2010,
pretty much i dont want to wash dishes or pick fruit.
so let them have the jobs, but make them learn english.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E

I love Colbert. It's interesting how much influence he has.

Quote by the_white_bunny

:/

Nah.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by Voldragon
Colbert = Angry liberal hippy douche?

More like faux-conservative comedy News show host who acts conservative in ways that mock them. Not a hippy or a douche, or angry, but Liberal yes.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Why? English isn't the official language of the USA. If they can get along without learning it, fair play to them. If anyone doesn't like not being able to communicate with them, he can learn their language
Last edited by Declan87 at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by stratkat
I don't get it:/

but I need a job, and hell, I live 50 yards from a cornfield anyway.

Watch moar South Park, and you'll get it.
Quote by Declan87
If anyone doesn't like not being able to communicate with them, he can learn their language

If everyone in a country spoke a different language, then the country would just not work. Everyone in the world should speak the same language ideally.
However, since they decided to move to an English speaking country, they should learn English.
Quote by TheBurningFish

As soon as you use "liberal" as an insult you drop a few notches on my "People Who's Opinions I want to read" list. He's hardly angry, he's not a hippy and the guy does a lot for charity. He's not a douche.

Because I care if you value my opinion, of course.

Secondly, in a thread that's blatently themed after South Park, you might want to learn the reference before mistaking it for actual views of the person.
Quote by Voldragon
Because I care if you value my opinion, of course.

Secondly, in a thread that's blatently themed after South Park, you might want to learn the reference before mistaking it for actual views of the person.

Why would you post your opinion if you didn't want anyone to comment on it?

Secondly, sorry for not being able to identify every single reference to a TV show in the Pit. I guess I might have went outside instead of studying all the scripts.

Quote by TheBurningFish
Why would you post your opinion if you didn't want anyone to comment on it?

Secondly, sorry for not being able to identify every single reference to a TV show in the Pit. I guess I might have went outside instead of studying all the scripts.

Wasn't an opinion.
I actually think this is a pretty good idea.

OT: Hurp dajurrrr!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by pag_slash_2
If everyone in a country spoke a different language, then the country would just not work. Everyone in the world should speak the same language ideally.
However, since they decided to move to an English speaking country, they should learn English.

We are not an English-speaking country any more than a spanish speaking country.
Quote by pag_slash_2

This can't possibly work. I can explain it if you want but it's a long, drawn out thing that I get tired of explaining over and over.

And yes, they should learn English if they want to be a functioning piece of society, but it's not like you can just snap your fingers and speak a language as difficult as ours at a conversational level.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Declan87
Why? English isn't the official language of the USA. If they can get along without learning it, fair play to them. If anyone doesn't like not being able to communicate with them, he can learn their language

yes it is and immigrants in the early 1900's, came hear and learned how to be american, and they learned English which is the right thing to do.
not come here and turn it in to the ghettos of little mexico.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
yes it is (1) and immigrants in the early 1900's, came hear and learned how to be american, and they learned English which is the right thing to do.
not come here and turn it in to the ghettos of little mexico. (2)

1. No it's not.

2. Oh I see, there's some cultural bigotry misunderstanding going on here. What's so wrong with people of Mexican ethnicity living together and having their own subculture? Or, put differently, why do you hate tacos?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

If people want to come and do our hard jobs for lower wages that's fine with me. They deserve not to have to learn English for doing so imo
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by the_white_bunny
yes it is and immigrants in the early 1900's, came hear and learned how to be american, and they learned English which is the right thing to do.

Cause there was no such thing as ghettos or tenements or anything like that back when all the immigrants were European, right?

Oh wait

Also, every group establishes their little cultural communities before they're fully assimilated. Thorstein Veblen (a famous sociologist/economist) grew up in a Norwegian-speaking farm community in the Midwest, and didn't learn fluent English until he went to college.

Although I agree the end game is to have everyone speaking the same language.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by the_white_bunny

American is a melting pot of cultures, and it grew into the country it is today because of all the various cultural influences. To say that people "learned to be american" doesn't really make sense.

In my opinion, there should be an official language, but the founders of your country decided otherwise and it's a big reason for why the USA is how it is.
Quote by the_white_bunny

English is not the official language of the US.
Quote by PeZ546
It'd be weird if a bunch of Americans DID take those jobs, 'cause then the Immigrants would be all like "Tomaron nuestros puestos de trabajo!"

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by PeZ546
It'd be weird if a bunch of Americans DID take those jobs, 'cause then the Immigrants would be all like "Tomaron nuestros puestos de trabajo!"

Tomran nustror puestrorr trarrrrr!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by pag_slash_2

No. No we most definitely should not.
Whether English is the "official" language or not is meaningless, it's what the vast majority of the population speaks and it's plainly in the best interest of immigrants to learn it.

But going "hey learn English, you" isn't very helpful. It takes money and time to study a new language, things in short supply when you spend all day working in the fields for low pay.
Quote by pag_slash_2

That's a very steriotypical american outlook..
When you go to other countries do you learn their native language? i don't think so.. as it's been said america isn't an English-based country so they don't have to do anything. Why don't you learn spanish in that case?

Also OT, i think it's more the employer's fault for hiring these workers for less money than they would an american born citizen, you should be mad at them rather than the people who are doing it.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Voldragon
Wasn't an opinion.

Obviously if I didn't get the reference that's how it looked, didn't it?

Quote by bass-man9712

Also OT, i think it's more the employer's fault for hiring these workers for less money than they would an american born citizen, you should be mad at them rather than the people who are doing it.

Immigrants need jobs too.
British jobs for British workers!

lolololololololol
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Quote by bass-man9712
When you go to other countries do you learn their native language? i don't think so.. as it's been said america isn't an English-based country so they don't have to do anything. Why don't you learn spanish in that case?

Actually, I agree with him. Maybe the US isn't the best example since there is no official language, but if someone wants to emmigrate then they should learn the language of the country they want to live in.

And there's a big difference between going somewhere for a holiday and deciding to spend the rest of your life there.
Quote by Snake_42
Actually, I agree with him. Maybe the US isn't the best example since there is no official language, but if someone wants to emmigrate then they should learn the language of the country they want to live in.

And there's a big difference between going somewhere for a holiday and deciding to spend the rest of your life there.

They should, probably. They should not however be forced by legislation.

Quote by bass-man9712

If I plan on living and/or working there, yes. If its just for a visit, Ill learn the basics and keep a translation book on me.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
It would be ideal if immigrant workers could learn English but many of them simply don't have the resources to. Even that, learning a second language is very difficult and we shouldn't mandate them to do so. America has been a mix of different ethnic blends since the 19th century and there has always been differences and difficulties between the natives and the migrants since then. Still, I respect that these people from past and present still worked hard to assimilate into our culture and competition between workers is hardly anything new to our capitalistic economy.

All I'm trying to say is have a bit of empathy and no matter what, we're all American in the end. It's still unfortunate that many of these workers had migrated here under illegal circumstances but hey, if they boost the workforce where otherwise no one would work, there isn't anything disagreeable about it.
Quote by Voldragon
Colbert = Angry liberal hippy douche?

He's pretty conservative From what I've seen anyway. Regardless, I wish there was more of him on the internet, I really like what I've seen from him.
Page 1 of 2