hey guys im a new member and this is my first post
anyway, on to the topic: im lookin for a new guitar under £400 and im really confused!!?! im into blues, rock 'n' roll, funk, and rock. I need something fairly versatile, it only needs to get as heavy as something like AC/DC or Airbourne but can get as Funky as James Brown, im not into metal so thats not a problemo. I really like fenders and have heard that they're pretty good but obviously in the price range there aren't many unless i go second hand (which im perfectly happy to do). At the min tele's really appeal to me, the look of em just catches my eye, strats are obviously good as well. Any suggestions?? doesnt hav 2 be a fender just something versatile and reasonably good looking all are welcome.) thanks x
I'd go for an HSS strat. The humbucker will take care of hard rock like AC/DC excellently, while leaving the neck and mid pickups open for blues and jazz and such.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-423060-i1480298.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Fender-American-Special-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-105766901-i1502369.gc
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Last edited by Guitar2theface at Jun 25, 2010,
Well I own an ESP LTD MH-50, it's a great guitar, has a nice warm tone when using the neck pickup, and the bridge pickup is fairly trebly, but gives a phenomenal tone when playing metal. I completely recommend this guitar, and you can get it for around $400.

For a little backing to my statement, and reviews from other people:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/esp/ltd_mh-50/index.html

I own the red one, it has a great glossy finish and it stays in tune better than any guitar I have played, with the exception of a Les Paul.
hmmm

strech the postage and you have a good deal here

or look into 2nd hand SE's

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
hmmm

strech the postage and you have a good deal here

or look into 2nd hand SE's

this^^^

thats really an awesome deal.and of course an awesome guitar

And the seller is really trustworthy too..I know that guy
Yeah that is a sweet deal, a nice guitar with emg pickups, and the finish is pretty cool too.
Fender MIM Strats / Teles
Used MIJ Strats / Teles
Danelectro guitars in general
I think some of the Ibanez RGs are pretty good but not my cup of tea
Epiphone Hollowbodies

^ That's in general what I think are good guitars for the price. There are more that I can't think of right now.

As for you I think a Tele would be perfect. Can do blues/funk but also has great crunchy rock tones. A really great all round guitar. (Says the guy who sold one today, but still...)
Yamaha pacifica 612v if you can find one is great with coil spilt,
If not just got to a guitar store play pretty much w/e fender they have and see which one plays right for you. I wouldnt go for that flyod rose thingy doodle ^^^ if you not keen on using it for metal and such its not all that useful.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Jun 25, 2010,
but the emg filled guitars might not be best for funk/blues

id say an SSH strat
85 gives a nice fat clean sound IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
85 gives a nice fat clean sound IMO

Granted, love em myself not for funk though
SMILE!
Quote by Tom 1.0

Great for the money

You won't need any high gain/ active pickups because for your bluesy/ funk sound it would be too much. You should look into that guitar above OR a HSS strat for the reasons stated above. With the strat being the preferred option IMO.
Epiphone G400 Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (or a second hand Custom)
Used Fender Blackout Telecaster
http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/fender-blackout-telecaster-deluxe-p-2471.html

I would recommend the Blackout Tele most of all, because its a great deal and you said yourself that you like them.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
thanks guys big help ) answers are great keep em coming please. the blackout tele is beautiful and looks perfect defo a big possibility. yep strats are lovely at the mo its 50/50 between the two..any thoughts on the fender standard MIM telecaster?? thanks againn x
I hear MIM strats are good and yamaha pacifica's are too, im tied between the two somewhat myself :P
I was in the position before, my advice is buy Pre-owned trust me u'll thank me later.

Look into old fenders and PRS'

PRS SEs and old Made in Japan Fenders are the best way to go
Used Fender Jap strat?
Fender HSS strat?
Fender tele with humbucks?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
**** an MIM strat, get a tokai gs100 instead. rockem music (i think that's it) is selling them for £345 excluding a case. If it's anything like the other MIJ tokai strat copies I've tried (I haven't tried the gs100), it's going to annihilate an MIM fender. EDIT: that's if you decide to go for a strat, of course. for what you want something HSS might be a better idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
any of the MIJ tokais I've tried have been FAR better than MIM standards. like the difference between an MIM and an MIA or MIJ Fender. Tokais basically are MIJ Fenders (but arguably with better hardware etc.) as they made some of the MIJ Fenders there for a few years.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look for some shape or form of guitar with a coil tap? Try a Danelectro or an Ampeg (solid body not plexiglass because they cost about £1000) they arent massively popular guitars but they might just be the right thing your looking for.