hi i own a fender supersonic and i just replaced the speaker for a Jesen Jet, which makes it sound way better. But the vibrolux channel still has ice pick highs, is there any way i can fix that?
Guitars:American Fender Strat, Gretsch Country Gentleman, American Deluxe Tele, Music Man Axis, Peavey Wolfgang,Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus,SRV Purple Strat, Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, Fender Jaguar, Fender Dick Dale Strat, Rickenbacker 306/12V64
I'm going to say it. Turn the treble down? If that doesn't work then maybe you could insert an equaliser into the effects loop for a bit more control or something.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
adding the speaker helps a little but im looking for a mod to fix this problem
Guitars:American Fender Strat, Gretsch Country Gentleman, American Deluxe Tele, Music Man Axis, Peavey Wolfgang,Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus,SRV Purple Strat, Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, Fender Jaguar, Fender Dick Dale Strat, Rickenbacker 306/12V64
Here's your fix: play it. Play it long and hard and break that speaker in. Come back for mods if it isn't better in six months.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
ok kool ..other question im wanting to change the tubes for more "high end" tubes which one's do you recommend?
Idk, high end tubes can be a bit like snake oil if you're really not looking for anything in particular. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I mean, yes, different tubes will make a small tonal difference, but it's more of a final adjustment you can make after everything else is the way you want it. Unless of course the power tubes are ancient, way off their bias, and ready to die from use and abuse. If the power tubes are legitimately worn out, then buy new tubes, although what tubes is something that should be left up to someone else who owns that amp model or a good tube dealer. If they're not worn out then different tubes will make way less of a difference than breaking-in the speaker and should only be considered after that's taken care of. There's also the subjective factor of learning how to readjust your EQ after changing the speaker, changing tastes, etc. Just give it time in that case. If you do legitimately need to replace the tubes due to wear, though, I'd pay a visit to dougstubes.com and shoot Doug an email; the guy's really helpful and knows his stuff.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jun 25, 2010,
thanks that helps a whole bunch, one last question im also thinking of getting new transformers and choke by mercury magnetic as an upgrade. would it be worth it, also money is no option
Eh, I've never built an amp so I can't say I know a whole lot about the effect of higher quality transformers and chokes. I do know that that's not any sort of routine maintenance like a tube change or as simple as replacing a speaker. You'd have to work inside the amp soldering and stuff. Considering iron is the most expensive part of an amp it seems like you might as well consider building an amp.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
playing through the bridge pup of your strats and teles will really accentuate the ice pick/

even just playing the neck pickup will help a lot, but of course that means not playing the bridge pickup

I have the same problem with my danelectro + VTM, and the VTM isn't that bright of an amp.