Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place. I was wondering if there is any songs i can play that will help me strengthen my strumming hand. I heard some where but i dont know if this is true everybody hurts by rem is good practice for alternate picking. So im guess that means i need songs that help alternate picking.
Why pluck just one string when you can...
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Last edited by ledhead205 at Jun 25, 2010,
ha funny. not what im look for. i Said SONGS.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Well the real question is... where are you hoping to end up and where are you now?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It depends of your level... what is the hardest piece you ever play in you life ?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Everything and anything you play will improve the strength in your right hand.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well um i gotta think but i think im somewhere in between beginner and intermediate. Lately i tried playing some stuff on the rust in peace album by megadeth but im not fast enough on some parts.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
im trying to build up strength so i can play like some thrash and metalcore. stuff like old metallica and megadeth.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Do you need a song to practice alternate picking? It's pretty straightforward, just try it on some scales.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
ive been do that i was just wondering if there is antthing else i could do. it may be more along the lines of speed+alternate picking
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Last edited by ledhead205 at Jun 26, 2010,
Do you know Eruption? It's a great practice routine for all the basic techniques.
no i dont but i cant tap i have a sucky amp and it wont sound right
plus i also need to practice tapping.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Well it's not like anyone's judging you on whether it sounds right. Just learn Eruption, it's great practice, impresses n00bs, and is really fun to play.
well if i play it it most likey wont sound like tapping but ill try.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Can you play the One sextuplet rhythmic from bar 105 to 120 ?
Can you play the lake of fire's solo ?
Can you play some pentatonic scales with alternate picking ? Like some from the 70's (Page, Zappa, Alvin Lee, Blackmore...) when it's not legato...

If and only if you are in... (if you own many 70's or easier licks)
Can you put the tempo down and work some Paul Gilbert's licks ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M
You can see his advice but that will be long to own that ! alternate picking is the hardest ! and it's a current subject on this forum, just search for happiness.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Last edited by Venusio G. at Jun 25, 2010,
i take that as i gotta alot of stuff to work on but where to start
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
down up down up on one string, move your wrist not you arm and try to have accurate and precise movements. You can try tremolo 4 per notes like 5 7 8 10 12 14 16 17 on every strings, then try 2 per notes... You can start with Lake of fire's solo ... a simple one with some alternate.
okay i can do that. but keep in mind i cant really use my pinky im trying though......Its crooked. yeah lake of fire solo is very easy. i got it. i think i got self confidence issues and i think im not as good as really am. But any thing elese i can do.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Quote by ledhead205
okay i can do that. but keep in mind i cant really use my pinky im trying though......Its crooked.

I feel your pain, lol, mine is as well... ...DAMN YOU GENETICS!!! DAMN YOU!!!
Quote by ybselgo
I feel your pain, lol, mine is as well... ...DAMN YOU EXCUSES!!! DAMN YOU!!!

Fixed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Fixed.

Hey, **** you guy.
Its not like I can't stretch enough, it's a physical incapability. I can reach from the 1st to the 7th fret (index and pinky) but if the top knuckle on that finger wasn't bent I could probably reach 8th easily, which adds a whole new realm of capabilities. But still I persevere, its not like I've given up or anything so stop judging.
My pinky is also crooked but I can use it just fine... It's people that don't use it at all and use the "crooked" thing as excuse that are stupid.

When you really can't use it at all due to physical incapabality and not just lack of practice, that's when you can damn the genetics
Quote by ybselgo
Hey, **** you guy.
Its not like I can't stretch enough, it's a physical incapability. I can reach from the 1st to the 7th fret (index and pinky) but if the top knuckle on that finger wasn't bent I could probably reach 8th easily, which adds a whole new realm of capabilities. But still I persevere, its not like I've given up or anything so stop judging.

im the same as him. I try hard to use it but i end up using the side of my pinky.

or the mid part of my pinky
i do catapillars to exersice it.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Quote by ybselgo
Hey, **** you guy.

Tony Iommi cut the tips of two fingers off in an industrial accident.
Django Reinhardt lost the use of two fingers in a fire.
Jeff Healey was blind.

It's not genetics, it's excuses - if you apply yourself and work hard enough you can over come any hurdle the guitar throws at you, different people simply have to approach different things in different ways.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Tony Iommi cut the tips of two fingers off in an industrial accident..

While we're on this subject, let me ask you something that I've actually been dying to find out.
Was it on his left hand or his right hand????????
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
While we're on this subject, let me ask you something that I've actually been dying to find out.
Was it on his left hand or his right hand????????

His left (fretting) hand.
well im crooked on both
Hey ive only been playing seriously for a year and a half. im trying dude. im trying to figure out what to do. i can use it to hammer on like 1h2h3h4 and stuff like that so its not useless i just need songs to practice to helps so i guess this is a what song thread. which means it will probably be closed soon. i need help before then. you know im getting tired of this pull crap im just gonna play everything very slow till i can play it at regular speed. use alternate picking on everything possible. holy wars for example. Ill just play it with power tab or a metronome. Ill Do Some scales till i can play it gradually faster and faster. Ill try to fix it.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Learn how to use the Edit button. You keep double and triple posting.
Quote by yearzero
Learn how to use the Edit button. You keep double and triple posting.

Happy? I fixed it.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Quote by ledhead205
Happy? I fixed it.

It's no big deal I just didn't want you to get a warning.
Quote by yearzero
His left (fretting) hand.

His right hand....he's left handed
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

hey songs like seek and destroy should i alternate pick or just downpick most of it.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
TS watch John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD. He has a lot of great exercises for your right hand.

And to those of you complaining about a crooked pinky, I'm with Mark: Stop making excuses. Learn to adapt. There's a guy who plays guitar with his feet on youtube. Or how about a guy who lost his right arm at the elbow and plays with a prosthetic?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
all i can say is im trying. And thanks. Anything else. Somebody told me to lear rust in peace album and try a couple of the early metallica albums. Any others?
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Quote by steven seagull
Tony Iommi cut the tips of two fingers off in an industrial accident.
Django Reinhardt lost the use of two fingers in a fire.
Jeff Healey was blind.

It's not genetics, it's excuses - if you apply yourself and work hard enough you can over come any hurdle the guitar throws at you, different people simply have to approach different things in different ways.

Tony Iommi replaced the tips of his fingers with a thimble or something essentially re -lengthening his fingers without any change to any of his joints. I'm starting to dislike the fact guys like you are trying to take some sort of moral high ground here. The fact is the top knuckle on the pinky on each of my hands curves inwards. I'm not making any 'excuses' as you put it I was just replying to what ledhed205 said.
Obviously genetics can certainly help when taking on an instrument such as the guitar. For example, do you honestly think someone with incredibly short and fat fingers can ever play as quickly and cleanly as someone who has long slender pianist fingers? Unlikely. Judging from what you said there, the state of your hands and fingers does not matter, you can still play like a legend. No, you cant. Granted, you could probably still attain a fair competence in the guitar, but there are certain things you just can't overcome. I'm not moaning about my state, I still love to play and continue to make progress, I mean it's not like I'm disabled, it's just a slight disadvantage, that's all.
never say cant ever do anything dude. as soon as you think that there is something you can never master then youve failed. I know its hard dude. I think i may never be able to sweep but im gonna try anyway. Just try very hard. Very very hard. my last resort is breaking my pinky surgically that is.
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Quote by ybselgo
Tony Iommi replaced the tips of his fingers with a thimble or something essentially re -lengthening his fingers without any change to any of his joints. I'm starting to dislike the fact guys like you are trying to take some sort of moral high ground here. The fact is the top knuckle on the pinky on each of my hands curves inwards. I'm not making any 'excuses' as you put it I was just replying to what ledhed205 said.

Yes that's true, but that would still be very difficult. He couldn't feel anything with his fingers (ie couldn't feel the string, fretbars, neck, etc). Not to mention that human flesh has some elasticity and the tips he used don't. Just try it. Put a thimble on each of your fingers and try to play. It's a lot harder than you think.

Quote by ybselgo
Obviously genetics can certainly help when taking on an instrument such as the guitar. For example, do you honestly think someone with incredibly short and fat fingers can ever play as quickly and cleanly as someone who has long slender pianist fingers? Unlikely. Judging from what you said there, the state of your hands and fingers does not matter, you can still play like a legend. No, you cant. Granted, you could probably still attain a fair competence in the guitar, but there are certain things you just can't overcome. I'm not moaning about my state, I still love to play and continue to make progress, I mean it's not like I'm disabled, it's just a slight disadvantage, that's all.

Ever heard of Shawn Lane? His fingers weren't slender by any means, nor were they long and he still was able to play incredibly fast and as clean as anyone.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by ybselgo

Someone with short fat fingers can play just as clean as anyone else if they practice enough. That's the point everyone's been trying to make. I don't know what you mean by "play like a legend." But anyone who practices enough can get to whatever level they want. Period.
Quote by yearzero
Someone with short fat fingers can play just as clean as anyone else if they practice enough. That's the point everyone's been trying to make. I don't know what you mean by "play like a legend." But anyone who practices enough can get to whatever level they want. Period.

+100

Im trying to figure out what to practice though. Help
STRUM THE GUITAR!

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2