hi everybody so i went to the local guitar store to decide which amp to buy. My options are kind of limited so here's pretty much what i have to choose between:
-Marshall MG
-Line 6 spider iv
both are 30W and both are $300
here's some helpful information about what i'm looking for:
-home practice + band practice(with drummer) + possible small gigs
-I play mostly hard rock, with classic rock and heavy metal. No blues no death metal (though i like heavy distortion)
-I have a squier strat and a boss ds-1 pedal
-nice tone (duh), if possible at low volumes
so any advice would be helpful and thanks in advance people
Neither, both are crap. Buy a used tube amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
again: being from where i am my options are limited so it's gotta be one of these
Quote by rkk94
again: being from where i am my options are limited so it's gotta be one of these

You must know buy now that these are the two most hated amps on here... So why did you post? If you've been here since '09 there's no way you didn't know that.

You be trollin'.

Edit: If you're not, then don't waste your time here... Go play them and decide. No one here is gonna say either are good for anything but firewood, but if you literally have no other choices then why wouldn't you just play both and buy the one you like.

You be trollin'.

They see me trollin'...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 25, 2010,
I heard the Marshall MGs have super good tone for your price.They can go cleaner than Mr. Clean and heavier than a sumo wrestler. :-)

Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah
TC Electronic PolyTune 2 Noir
Joyo Vintage Overdrive
ZVex Box of Rock
Chase Bliss Audio Warped Vinyl
TC Electronic Flashback
Neunaber Seraphim + EXP
Hotone Wally
Hang on, you say you want to spend $300 but not where you are from so what's the point of quoting a price? $300 won't buy as much in Australia as it does in the US and both use $'s. People will sometimes quote US$ when they are elsewhere too. I assumed you are in America because Americans are normally the ones that assume everyone is in the US and don't say where they are from. Now you say "being from where i am my options are limited so it's gotta be one of these" so I'm confused. Where are you from?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
both amps ARE firewood. Try out a Peavey Vypyr bro.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by Cathbard
Hang on, you say you want to spend $300 but not where you are from so what's the point of quoting a price? $300 won't buy as much in Australia as it does in the US and both use $'s. People will sometimes quote US$ when they are elsewhere too. I assumed you are in America because Americans are normally the ones that assume everyone is in the US and don't say where they are from. Now you say "being from where i am my options are limited so it's gotta be one of these" so I'm confused. Where are you from?

Everyone is not from the US? What do you mean? Like there are other countries out there? I don't believe in aliens.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Lebanon, but getting the amp from virgin garage so everything there is in $
Quote by DakoRob
both amps ARE firewood. Try out a Peavey Vypyr bro.

These are the only two amps, he said they don't deal with vypyrs.
Quote by rkk94
Lebanon, but getting the amp from virgin garage so everything there is in $

Ah. Then I have no idea what's available. Isn't there a Lebanese ebay? Seriously, those two amps are crap. If I had to choose one of them I'd play acoustic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Ah. Then I have no idea what's available. Isn't there a Lebanese ebay? Seriously, those two amps are crap. If I had to choose one of them I'd play acoustic.

yeah there is, but it sucks aswell:P
Well you can get a half reasonable sound out of an MG with a bit of tweaking but a Spider will always sound like a piece of digital crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Half the idiots who say line 6 is crap have never even used one, they just go on what everyone else says. I prefer solid state amps over tube. I used the 150HD for a couple live shows, and it did great. Simply put, go with whatever sounds best to you, not what a bunch of followers say
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
It really depends on your own style...
I'd say go for neither and search further, but if you absolutely had to choose between them, try them both out first, see if you can get a halfway decent tone out of them. Trust me, you're NEVER going to get the ideal tone out of any of them. Or any amp in your price range for that matter.

PS. The MG's only redeeming quality is, as far as I've heard, the amount of gain. It doesn't do clean, and I've tried. I have little to no experience on Line 6 products, though.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
Half the idiots who say line 6 is crap have never even used one, they just go on what everyone else says. I prefer solid state amps over tube. I used the 150HD for a couple live shows, and it did great. Simply put, go with whatever sounds best to you, not what a bunch of followers say

I'm so tired of the 'counter-bandwagon-bandwagon,' you're right there is a big bandwagon epidemic here at UG, but the MG and Spiders are worth the hate. I've owned two MGs, and played extensively on a Spider... I'm not just saying it because its popular; they suck. Besides no one who knows their shit says Line 6 sucks, they make some great stuff... Just not the Spider.

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. The MG's only redeeming quality is, as far as I've heard, the amount of gain. It doesn't do clean, and I've tried. I have little to no experience on Line 6 products, though.

What are you talking about? The only redeeming quality of the MG is the clean... Its pretty bad but its far better than the gain on that POS. Amount of gain though? Who gives a shit how much is has if it sounds like shit?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

I'm so tired of the 'counter-bandwagon-bandwagon,' you're right there is a big bandwagon epidemic here at UG, but the MG and Spiders are worth the hate. I've owned two MGs, and played extensively on a Spider... I'm not just saying it because its popular; they suck. Besides no one who knows their shit says Line 6 sucks, they make some great stuff... Just not the Spider.

I agree with that. I just hate the poeple who have never played one, and says it sucks. It's not a great amp, but for the price, I think its okay. But im also a HUGE solidstate fan, not so much a tube fan.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
I agree with that. I just hate the poeple who have never played one, and says it sucks. It's not a great amp, but for the price, I think its okay. But im also a HUGE solidstate fan, not so much a tube fan.

Ya there are plenty of them here, but usually they make it very clear in their posts they don't know jack, so its easy to ignore them. Ignoring bad advice is a necessary skill if you want to use UG.

For the price? I consider it crazy over-priced new. If someone was on a real tight budget and found one used cheap, I'd say 'it could be worse.' But there is no reason in hell why someone should buy a new Spider.

Side Note: So you prefer SS heads to your VK? You a metal player?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
MG's are o.k for the price. I have one and I like it pretty well. If your just getting it to practice on go for it. If your going to be playing shows with it....get something else.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I have both an MG and a Spider in my garage right now, both of them suck balls. (neither of them belong to me).

The MG is the muddiest amp I've ever heard and it just sounds bad in every way imaginable.
The Spider sounds really digital and is just as bad as the MG.

Neither of them are worth anyone's money if you ask me.

Although I can understand how somebody would like them if they have never played through a proper high quality tube amp I suppose. That's not to say that you should buy one. Search for a better amp somewhere, look used aswell.

Also, I don't understand how anyone can prefer SS over tubes, I also have a feeling that you only play through a VK and you're a metal head.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by offthewall91
MG's are o.k for the price. I have one and I like it pretty well. If your just getting it to practice on go for it. If your going to be playing shows with it....get something else.

Again, for the price? You'd take an MG new over a Classic 30 used? I see Classic 30s for $300 constantly and I guarantee those people can be talked down to below the after tax and shipping price of an MG30 (around $300.) So how is it good 'for the price.' I mean shit, if it were me I'd rather get an old Peavey SS for $100 than an MG. You could get a 100 watt 2x12 with a arguably better tone for less than half the price. Which is what a friend of mine did when he finally realized his MG50 was dogshit.

Edit: There is a place for MGs, but its when you buy them used for next to nothing. I think the only really good argument against MGs and Spiders is the price. They're not unuseable, its just that you can do much better for the price. So you guys saying they're good for the price is just WAY off. They would be OK if it WEREN'T for the price.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Again, for the price? You'd take an MG new over a Classic 30 used? I see Classic 30s for $300 constantly and I guarantee those people can be talked down to below the after tax and shipping price of an MG30 (around $300.) So how is it good 'for the price.' I mean shit, if it were me I'd rather get an old Peavey SS for $100 than an MG. You could get a 100 watt 2x12 with a arguably better tone for less than half the price. Which is what a friend of mine did when he finally realized his MG50 was dogshit.

Edit: There is a place for MGs, but its when you buy them used for next to nothing. I think the only really good argument against MGs and Spiders is the price. They're not unuseable, its just that you can do much better for the price. So you guys saying they're good for the price is just WAY off. They would be OK if it WEREN'T for the price.

Of course I would take a Classic 30 over an MG. But if the only two options he has are the MG and that Line 6 I think I would rather take the MG. yeah they are over priced for what they are and this dude is better off buying a used one if he goes with the MG, especially if he's just going to practice with it.

As for mine. Yeah I realized it is shit. But as of now it's all I have. My Peavey Bandit needs work and I'm busted for cash so I'm content with this purple piece of shit I call an MG.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!