yea i probably spelled that wrong but anyways. my 2 EMG equipped guitars get this weird hum when they are leaned forwards or back. example-im playing sitting down and i lean back(either being tired or a little drunk) and i get this odd hum. only when the gain is on, not clean. everything is solidly mounted so a pot, jack, or battery is not moving......any ideas?
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
Do you see the same issue anywhere you play? I know next to nothing about EMG's, but from personal experience it could be interference from overhead lights, a laptop, or almost anything electrical
EMG stands for Electro-Magnet Generator

Its possible by tilting back, you're changing the magnetic field of the pickups, and some 60-cycle hum gets through. Or something similar.
Any pickup coil, EMG or not, is essentially an antenna for all EM waves. If the coil is faced perpendicular to a source (a light, monitor, etc), it will "hum." When it happens when you lean, usually you can hear the lighbulbs. Not even humbuckers cancel it 100%.
never happened with the passives i had in my jackson. not the trem springs for sure, ltd has a fixed bridge. maybe ill play with the lights off tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

A friend of had something like this a while back, but he used to pick up a radio signal :P many laughs we had, seeing as he wasnt using wireless kit!
He took it in to a shop and was told to get it shielded, had it done and the problem went away.
take it in and see what they say :P they dont charge for advice mostly

Check out my band! Visible Clarity

Gear:
Ibanez RG 420Ex SAr W/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Ibanez Toneblaster 100w head + cab
Soon Buying:
Bugera 6262 Head
Bugera 412 Cab
Have it shielded. It's probably the pickup's proximity to another electrical appliance (PC monitor etc) that's causing the hum when you tilt it...

I had similar issues until I had my guitar shielded, I'd move an inch to the right and it'd start humming, due to me coming closer to my PC monitor.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Have it shielded. It's probably the pickup's proximity to another electrical appliance (PC monitor etc) that's causing the hum when you tilt it...

I had similar issues until I had my guitar shielded, I'd move an inch to the right and it'd start humming, due to me coming closer to my PC monitor.

Sounds like you have a CRT. LCD monitors don't give off as much feedback.
would aluminum tape work to sheild it? i have a metric sh!t ton of it at work

Quote by z28_dad
would aluminum tape work to sheild it? i have a metric sh!t ton of it at work

I'm pretty sure that works... if you use A LOT. I've also heard it doesn't work well at all.

I suggest copper shielding tape. Dimarzio sells some for like $10 for two, three foot strips. You could probably find better elsewhere.
well looks like ill look for some copper junk

I dont think shielding tape will do much, EMG's are internally shielded and everything is contained in the pickup (which is why they're usually so quiet). Shielding is mostly useful for passives because they are higher output coils than EMG's, and they aren't internally shielded like EMG's.
Not saying it wont work, and you shouldn't try it, its just I don't know how much good it'll do shielding pickups that are already shielded.
try facing another direction when ur playing. that is, if ur playing in your room. i get this issue to. its from interfierence with other electrical devices. for example, i cant be playing with the pickups facing my desktop, i have to be facing an open area (not to big)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED