So I want to get a the HD150 head, but I know its a stereo head. Will this head work with my Peavey Valveking cab?
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Biggest waste of money ever...

It'll be a step down from your VK.

The VK sucks, and I'm a huge solidstate fan. I don't like tubes as much.
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
So let the bandwaggoning begin. So to actually try and help you out...The power handling of the cab is 400w. The Line 6 head is 150w so you're good to go. Just remember the cab is 16 ohms so the head must be set for the same.

EDIT: If you like SS amps, check out the Line 6 HD147 if you haven't. You may have to buy used but I owned one and it was pretty awesome. I moved to tubes only because I didn't use all the features of the 147.
Last edited by celticstorm84 at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by TheFireWithinPA
The VK sucks, and I'm a huge solidstate fan. I don't like tubes as much.

I have two pieces of advice for you.

1) You probably don't have an ear for a nice tone yet. Everyone misses their solid state amps when they first get a tube amp.

2) If you really really do like solid state amps more, I think there are much better ones then the Spider, I've gigged with people that have it and it's terrible. It sounds even worse recorded.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
The VK cab is 16 ohms and has some of the worst speakers imaginable. Most of the problem you have with you VK is with that VK cab. I understand you like SS amps better that is fine. Do yourself a favor and sell it all for something different.

link to crappy VK cab
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-412-Guitar-Cabinet-104003314-i1152968.gc

PS: Get a decent SS amp tho. Please.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The VK cab is 16 ohms and has some of the worst speakers imaginable. Most of the problem you have with you VK is with that VK cab. I understand you like SS amps better that is fine. Do yourself a favor and sell it all for something different.

link to crappy VK cab
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-412-Guitar-Cabinet-104003314-i1152968.gc

PS: Get a decent SS amp tho. Please.

Thanks for the advice. I play metal, which is the only reason I said it sucks. It does okay, but like I said, I preffer SS. Any good suggestions?
Peavey Valveking Head
Peavey VK Cab
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Ibanez ART2EX1
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Line 6 HD147 is a damn good amp. Not sure if they're made anymore, may have to go used. I owned one and really liked it for metal. It is for heavy gain stuff and has a lot of built in effects like any other Line 6. There's always the Peavey Vypyrs...personally I hate them with firey burning rage and I think they suck but that's just me, haha.
Replacing the speakers in your VK and maybe the tubes is infinitely better than one of those shitful boxes of bees trapped in mud that is a Spider IV. You will be taking a huge step down, fix what you've got instead of downgrading to a spider.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tr3nt

1) You probably don't have an ear for a nice tone yet. Everyone misses their solid state amps when they first get a tube amp.

2) If you really really do like solid state amps more, I think there are much better ones then the Spider, I've gigged with people that have it and it's terrible. It sounds even worse recorded.

1. Do they? The first time I even heard a tube amp I never wanted to listen to SS again, though that's a genre thing in my case.

2. +1 We're not saying SS is bad, we're saying that's a bad SS.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tr3nt

I second both of those points.

The day that you play properly through a good tube amp, you'll eat those words.

In my opinion the only thing that SS has over tubes is the fact that you can drop them and they still work, that's it.

There are ofcourse, good SS amps, but they are expensive and they're not for metal. Even these arn't as good as tube amps though.

The Peavey VK is a begginer's tube amp that dosn't sound all that, have you tried it with a boost for metal? Also there is an entire site dedicated to modding Vks, some of the mods will make the amp more metal orientated.

If you are honestly a seasoned player and you actually know what you're talking about when it comes to valve amps, I do apoligise, but I still think your opinion is wierd.

The VK is FAR better than the Spider.

There are FAR better SS amps than the Spider.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
In my opinion the only thing that SS has over tubes is the fact that you can drop them and they still work, that's it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

So much for that theory.

PS: AND I have had to repair SS amps that didn't survive a fall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by FuzzLove
There are ofcourse, good SS amps, but they are expensive and they're not for metal. Even these arn't as good as tube amps though.

Are you kidding? There are tons of GREAT SS amps that are dirt cheap and are good for little except the heaviest of the heavy. No one can say a tube amp is better than them either... They sound different, some prefer SS sounds, especially for metal.

You not only have some misconceptions but you seem to have some opinions that are in direct conflict with the truth.

Edit: Ampeg Vh140c being the perfect example here, BTW. Cheap, considered a metal amp, and extremely coveted even when tube amps are available.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 25, 2010,
Hahahaha, that video is amazing!
I didn't think such a thing was possible, Crate clearly know how to make something durable.

Yeah, I'm not saying that they will definatly survive falls, but in general you're less likely to cause a lot of damage dropping a SS amp than you are a tube amp.

No I'm not kidding, the only SS amp that I've ever heard and properly liked is a Roland Jazz Chorus, and that's not for metal. I've seen countless metal bands playing various SS amps, they've always sounded weak, thin, fizzy and just generally bad. That's from my point of view listening to the music and comparing it to metal of a similar style played through a good tube amp. I'm not saying that the people who use SS amps for metal don't enjoy doing so. But I'm saying that if they had a couple grand to spend on a good metal orientated tube amp with an EQ etc, they would prefer that tone 99% of the time.

I fail to see where any of my opinions directly conflict the truth, if you mean that they directly conflict your opinions, that's something different.

EDIT: You just reminded me that some Ampeg SS amps are very good indeed, I wouldn't consider them metal amps though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I didn't think such a thing was possible, Crate clearly know how to make something durable.

Yeah, I'm not saying that they will definatly survive falls, but in general you're less likely to cause a lot of damage dropping a SS amp than you are a tube amp.

No I'm not kidding, the only SS amp that I've ever heard and properly liked is a Roland Jazz Chorus, and that's not for metal. I've seen countless metal bands playing various SS amps, they've always sounded weak, thin, fizzy and just generally bad. That's from my point of view listening to the music and comparing it to metal of a similar style played through a good tube amp. I'm not saying that the people who use SS amps for metal don't enjoy doing so. But I'm saying that if they had a couple grand to spend on a good metal orientated tube amp with an EQ etc, they would prefer that tone 99% of the time.

I fail to see where any of my opinions directly conflict the truth, if you mean that they directly conflict your opinions, that's something different.

You saying there aren't good, cheap, metal oriented amps is a direct contradiction of the truth. If anything you are overstating your opinion far more than I am. I don't play metal and I hate the tone of SS amps, however I recognize that for some genres and some players they work well. You are trying to talk the TS out of SS, and basically calling him dumb for liking SS. That's not right. There are tons of professional musicians out there that choose SS over tube, even though they DO have thousands of dollars to spend. Like I said, personally I think their tones are terrible and I don't know why they choose that, but it isn't wrong, its just preference.

I just don't like it when people hear 'I prefer SS' and immediately say 'oh you haven't had enough experience, you'll learn.' That's condescending and just unnecessary. If he was playing classic rock and said that I may try to talk him out of it, but he plays metal so its a reasonable choice.

Look man neither of us seem very familiar with metal. You saying you wouldn't consider Ampeg SSs good for metal shows that you don't really know what you're talking about, they're raved about for metal particularly that model I told you. Lets just let the TS be, neither of us have much to say to help him.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 25, 2010,
In my opinion, there arn't, no. That's not a direct contradiction of the truth, infact there is no truth in that subject, it's all just opinion.

That's not to say that there arn't solid state amps that are cheap and CAN play metal, it just won't sound very good in my opinion.

I'm not trying to offend anyone at all, I'm just saying what I think. Apoligies if anyone thought I was trying to offend anyone.

I'm not going to say that I'm the biggest metal head in world, because I'm not, but I'm not completly ignorant to the genre, I personally wouldn't use or recommend that Ampeg, or any Ampeg for metal, really, sure it could pull it off if it had to though.

I'm also not a genius or proffesional expert, but I know what I like and I form opinions on my own. Obviously some people's will differ.

Anyway, in response to the actual question in the OP, the VK cab will work with the Spider head if you match the ohms.
Quote by FuzzLove

It's also that valves are much tougher than most people think. Try smashing a power tube one day and you'll see what I mean. I've seen then drop onto a hard floor and survive as long as they don't land on their tip. Tough glass man, bloody tough. Well, look at all the military uses they were employed in - tanks don't have very good suspension. And then there's Migs - need I say more?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've never tried to brake one, probably never will actually TRY to haha.

I even wrap them in something to put them in my bag when I buy new ones, guess I'm just being paranoid there

I have no idea what a Mig is.
Mig as in the Russian jet fighter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Serious shit.
now that.....was a threadjack

here TS:

(I took some guesses and noticed you were in PA so here is some stuff to look at. I couldn't find a bunch of good SS amps but someone mentioned the Ampeg 140)

B52 AT-100 head $350 (can do all kinds of metal)
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1793400695.html

Peavey XXX head $600 (built for metal)
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1778616912.html

Peavey Vypyr 60 tube $350 (all kinds of tones including metal) hybrid
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1777551185.html

Peavey 5150 212 $500 (as metal as it gets)
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1750577178.html

Traynor YCV 80 212 $300 (thrash and some modern metal) great cleans
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1744015511.html

Line 6 Spider Valve 212 $600
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1809454733.html

Peavey 5150 head $600
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1807004043.html

Laney GH100 head $600
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1801074616.html

Meas Boogie .50 Cal head $475
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1794437644.html

(point is there are lots of stuff around you used too that is worth checking out)

In addition to that there are some Valveking metal clips in here worth checking.

I can tell you this, I replaced my stock VK speaker with an Eminence Man O War and it was a lot tighter. Run a Bad Monkey up front and an EQ in the loop and you can def get metal tones.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16508563&postcount=3

use craigslist to find cabs too

If you really want metal and solidstate ts.

Line 6 Vetta, Flextone or Hd147 are much better options

Ampeg VH140-c is a better option

And roland jazz chorus with pedals would be better.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
If I were to recommend an SS amp and cab, I would recommend either Randall amps, I hear Raven amps aren't too shabby. For a cab, go look at Avatar cabs, they are some good cabs.

The Valveking is a good sounding amp with some work, the Valveking Speaker cab is the biggest piece of crap I've ever heard, and you will regret buying a HD150 after about 6 months, after you get bored with the onboard effects.