If you have an open backed cab, would situating it flat against the wall of a room give you the tighter sound that a closed back cab would? Just curious if anyone has tried this or knows anything useful about it.
Yes, it would, not as good as having a closed back cab would, but it will be 'tighter' than if it was in the middle of the room.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Yes, it would, not as good as having a closed back cab would, but it will be 'tighter' than if it was in the middle of the room.

No, dude, not at all. Its not about bouncing frequencies off something, which is what you're doing by putting it against a wall. Its about a sealed enclosure that can be pressurized momentarily. Anything that isn't sealed damn near air tight is essentially an open back.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
An open back amp/cab will sound 'tighter' against a wall than in the middle of the room, fact.

TS didn't say is it a substitute, but is it a shortcut, which it is.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
An open back amp/cab will sound 'tighter' against a wall than in the middle of the room, fact.

TS didn't say is it a substitute, but is it a shortcut, which it is.

Not the bass. It may sound more directional, but I wouldn't call that tighter. Tighter generally refers to the distance and time of a speaker's excursion during a bass 'hit.' The only way to affect that excursion is by giving the speaker a sealed box to 'push against.' I understand what you're saying but you're overstating it a little bit.

Also just for clarification, I'm not trying to single you out, its just a coincidence that I disagreed with you on two topics simultaneously. Nothing personal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
just make a back and close it off
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yeah that's cool ... TS asked if their amp would sound 'tighter' against a wall, tighter could be defined and more directional, as in most of the sound is distributed in one direction resulting on more of the sound going directly into the audience's ears, resulting in a tighter sound. Putting it against the wall surely isn't the BEST way to achieve a tighter sound, but it'll have some of the desired effect. So the answer to the question was yes.

Properly attatching some ply wood to the back of your cab would be a better option.
Quote by FuzzLove
Yeah that's cool ... TS asked if their amp would sound 'tighter' against a wall, tighter could be defined and more directional, as in most of the sound is distributed in one direction resulting on more of the sound going directly into the audience's ears, resulting in a tighter sound. Putting it against the wall surely isn't the BEST way to achieve a tighter sound, but it'll have some of the desired effect. So the answer to the question was yes.

Properly attatching some ply wood to the back of your cab would be a better option.

Ya semantics of tone are so ambiguous I think its the cause of 90% of flamewars on here. I know what you mean though.

TS - So basically will it sound like a closed back? No. Will it sound a little bit more like a closed back? Yes. How noticeable will it be? You tell me, there are far too many variables to make any judgement without trying it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I agree with that post completly
Thanks for the opinions guys. FYI, the amp in question is my Fender Blues Junior. I play some hard rock with it and I noticed [read: "thought I noticed/ears might have imagined"] that it seemed tighter and more metally when against a wall as opposed to off the wall.

I like the idea of building a back for it; that'd be a nice project to look into.