I know this is probably an easy thing but I don't know it and can't find out so I thought I'll ask! Anyway I took a few guitar lessons and for the last 2-3 days I just jumped into tabs to take a bit of a break from learning, and I learnt a bit this way from just messing around with songs ..easy songs mind you!

Anyhow my friend told me to try doing stairway to heaven so I just looked at it and what I'm confused about is when two notes cross strings at the same time.. like this
bit right at the start where the 7 and 6 are at the same time..how do I do that without sounding off the B and G string inbetween?

E-------5-7-----7-|
B-----5-----5-----|
G---5---------5---|
D-7-------6-------|
A------------------|
E------------------|

Most likely a very nooby question but I don't know what to do (right now I just try to individually pick both notes really fast..but it doesn't sound too good lol). Also I know this could belong in tab talk but, since my question is about technique sorta I thought it should go here.
fingerpicking, you pluck the D string with your thumb and the e string with your ring finger
you use two fingers(thumb and index) or pick and a finger at the same time
You finger pick it.
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
fingerpicking as people have said, or hybrid picking.

hold the pick with your thumb and index as you normally would but when you pluck the d string use your 3rd finger to pluck the high e string.
also you could just mute the g and b strings and just strum the 4 bottom strings, but to do that you would have to stop the g and b strings from ringing when they are supposed to keep ringing.
Alright guys, I got it down now, using my pick as normal and ring finger/3rd finger for any other notes. Thanks for the quick responses and help guys appreciate it
I always think Stairway sounds better entirely finger picked, but that's just me.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Gah I wish I would have realised that... would have made it sooo much easier and then I wouldn't have sounded like towely off southpark... *starts playing.. messses up* Wait wait wait *tries again...messes up* wait wait wait i got it this time... * tries again* lol my friends were getting a kick out of it though.
Quote by Anthony1991
I always think Stairway sounds better entirely finger picked, but that's just me.

yeah it does have a sweeter sound finger picked but, my fingers are sloppy when not using a plectrum, randomly hit an open string here and there by accident haha. Something else to work on I guess
Quote by qais
yeah it does have a sweeter sound finger picked but, my fingers are sloppy when not using a plectrum, randomly hit an open string here and there by accident haha. Something else to work on I guess

Takes a bit of time that's all

I recently started finger picking more to a proficient level, and it still took me a few goes to get it down pat

I think the solo in Stairway just doesn't belong in the song though, kinda ruins it
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.