I'm planning on buying a new set of tuning pegs for my epiphone les paul,
But how do I know they will fit my guitar before I buy them?

do you have any useful hints and tips for me?
thanks
nice answer DanielBowie. very helpful!

take one of your tuning pegs out and measure the diameter of the hole. then look at the specs of the ones your buying
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Quote by mrsixstrings12
take one of your tuning pegs out and measure the diameter of the hole. then look at the specs of the ones your buying

This. If your holes are too narrow, you can either go for other tuners or ream the existing holes out. If the holes are too big there'll be bushings you can insert to make the fit snug. Keep in mind though that a few mm of difference don't matter. If you loosen factory fitted tuners on most guitars you'll notice they are definitely not in there very snugly.

Of some aesthetic importance is the matter of the fixing screws. Do your existing ones have a screw tab on the housing? Are they off to the side or at the center? Do superfluous screw holes bother me at all? Can you fill the holes unnoticably? And so on.
Quote by DanielBowie
go to youtube?

He came to UGs GB&C for a reason. To ask us.
Now, get out, or post GB&C Worthy answers. Oh yeah, just made up a new thing.

Personally, on guitars, I prefer the tuners to be a tight, snug fit. Just like how I like my women.
Pretty much, just measure the diameter of your holes, and look at the tuners you are interested in. If they don't have the size, don't use that brand. That obviously tells you somethings wrong.
..I was watching my death.
He came to UGs GB&C for a reason. To ask us.
Now, get out, or post GB&C Worthy answers. Oh yeah, just made up a new thing.

Well said
Are there any dangers when drilling new holes in the back of the headstock for the new screws?
Will it change anything?
Should I use some kind of filler on the old holes from the stock screws?
Last edited by gary1991 at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by gary1991
Are there any dangers when drilling new holes in the back of the headstock for the new screws?
Will it change anything?
Should I use some kind of filler on the old holes from the stock screws?

I'd say use filler, and if need be, touch up jobs on the paint of a back of a headstock is easy. Providing it is painted.
There's no danger, What I always do, on already finished areas: put some high quality(dollar-store quality wont work here. Trust me from personal experience) over the areas you are drilling.
I'd reccomend, if you can, Find a dowel that's very small to fit in your old hole. I don't trust wood filler one bit, and the drying time for it to be hard is ridiculous.
..I was watching my death.