Hi, so recently I was offered a 2002 Fender Precision Special bass guitar as a trade for my Fender MIM Jazz bass. From what I'm reading online, it seems that fender precision specials have active pickups, but the guy switched out the stock pickups of the p bass special and added seymour duncan quarter pounders.

So if the bass now has the quarter pounders, is it still an active bass, or is it now passive? And also, what exactly is a "3 band active EQ"?

Thanks!
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Jun 25, 2010,
It simply now has passive pickups with an active EQ, so it will be classed as "active."

A passive EQ (so, tone knob) only cuts frequencies. An active EQ can cut or boost frequencies. A 3 band EQ means that you can boost/cut bass frequencies, mids and trebles independantly, making for a more customisable tone. My bass has an active EQ and passive pickups and it does great- loads of different tones.
thanks for the info deliriumbassist!

so do you think that the fender precision special would be a better deal than a stock MIM fender precision? I've tried out a lot of MIM precisions in stores and liked them a lot, so I'm just hoping this whole active setup won't be changing the sound too much from the classic p bass sound.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
actives have a different sound to them. You can probably get close to a p bass tone though. and really active EQs are amazing. I can completely change the sound of my rig with my two band.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by ilikeguitar90
thanks for the info deliriumbassist!

so do you think that the fender precision special would be a better deal than a stock MIM fender precision? I've tried out a lot of MIM precisions in stores and liked them a lot, so I'm just hoping this whole active setup won't be changing the sound too much from the classic p bass sound.

If you like the passive tone then you can set the EQ to flat. You got a seriously good deal there too!
Oh well the guy told me Fender only started making the precision special active from 2003/2004 and after, and the bass he's trading with me is a 2002 model so he says it has no active circuitry.

I tried out a few ibanez and ESP basses with active pickups just to see what they were like and I personally preferred the Fender precisions/jazzes by far, so maybe the fact that it is passive might not be such a bad thing for me personally haha. I'm really a fan of the thumpy low-end p bass sound, such as the tone from fleetwood mac's "dreams."

Anyways thanks for the help guys really appreciate it
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Jun 25, 2010,