Hey everyone! I'm a bass player with an interest in learning the guitar also. I've just started playing an acoustic guitar that was a gift from a family friend years ago. I've already picked out the practice amp (peavey vypyr 15) that I am planning on getting based off of reviews and what I've read here on UG. Now when it comes to the choice of guitar it seems like there are so many choices in my budget (~$200 tops) it is hard to choose especially because of the lack of reviews on some of them. I will be playing everything from alt rock to metal, I would like to learn to shred at some point also.

Here are the guitars I've been looking at. Any pros and cons on any of them would be appreciated because I would like to make an informed decision and get something that will stand up to being played everyday while I learn.

Cort X-1
Peavey Predator Plus EXP
Jackson JS22R/JS23R
Ibanez RG120/GSA60
ESP M-53

My reasoning thus far is that the Cort is available locally (recommended by the guy at the music store), while the others would be ordered through musician's friend.

The Peavey is on my list because it seems to be a good value considering it comes equipped with a floyd rose licensed trem and a locking nut.

The Jacksons because of the compound radius fingerboard and I love the headstock and the shark fin style inlays look sick on a guitar in this price range. They just came out at winter NAMM so there doesn't seem to be much in the way of reviews on them unfortunately.

The RG120, well.. It's an RG in my price range what can I say

As far as the ESP, I love the maple fingerboard on it and the reviews on it seem good.

Any input on any of them would be great!
I say get a used Ibanez RG2EX1. They're great guitars. And even better for people just starting out.
The Jacksons you've pointed out aren't a bad choice either.

Best of luck to ya.
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by lunari
Hey everyone! I'm a bass player with an interest in learning the guitar also. I've just started playing an acoustic guitar that was a gift from a family friend years ago. I've already picked out the practice amp (peavey vypyr 15) that I am planning on getting based off of reviews and what I've read here on UG. Now when it comes to the choice of guitar it seems like there are so many choices in my budget (~$200 tops) it is hard to choose especially because of the lack of reviews on some of them. I will be playing everything from alt rock to metal, I would like to learn to shred at some point also.

Here are the guitars I've been looking at. Any pros and cons on any of them would be appreciated because I would like to make an informed decision and get something that will stand up to being played everyday while I learn.

Cort X-1
Peavey Predator Plus EXP
Jackson JS22R/JS23R
Ibanez RG120/GSA60
ESP M-53

My reasoning thus far is that the Cort is available locally (recommended by the guy at the music store), while the others would be ordered through musician's friend.

The Peavey is on my list because it seems to be a good value considering it comes equipped with a floyd rose licensed trem and a locking nut.

The Jacksons because of the compound radius fingerboard and I love the headstock and the shark fin style inlays look sick on a guitar in this price range. They just came out at winter NAMM so there doesn't seem to be much in the way of reviews on them unfortunately.

The RG120, well.. It's an RG in my price range what can I say

As far as the ESP, I love the maple fingerboard on it and the reviews on it seem good.

Any input on any of them would be great!

Well I don't know if a licensed floyd rose is a good thing. Maybe you should read what are the pros and cons of having a floyd rose,especially licensed one and see if you really need it. I had a guitar with a lic. fr,it stayed in tune,but I realised that I had no use for it (except for nonsense divebombs.)
I think you should get a little more extra cash? Like,why not. Adding a few dollars to your budget might get you better choices than those.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I'd recommend the Jackson. The starter instruments they produce last forever and there's not much that separates them from alot of mid range guitars. I still have my js30ke from way back and I still prefer it to my ibanez rga 7 and ltd h1001
Thanks for the suggestions and opinions so far. I have ruled out the Peavey after reading the Floyd rose thread. Seems like a PITA.*

On the note of spending a little more and getting a nicer guitar isn't really an option. Money is pretty tight as it is.
Look used. Get a hardtail guitar if you're not going to get a Floyd Rose. And they're only a pain in the ass for stupid/lazy people. A non-locking trem is probably not what you're looking for, judging from your description. You may be able to find an Ibanez RG2EX1, or an RG321 used for $200. It's definitely possible on ebay. Just try one out and see if you like the neck before you buy one online.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I learned on an ibanez rg120...it is a great 200 dollar learning guitar but the tremolo is kind of hard to keep it in tune. But overall it is a great guitar for the price
avoid the floyd rose for now, its not neccesary for a first guitar its nice that they stay in tune for long periods of time but thats about it... They can be a pain in the ass to tune especially if you like switching to different tunings. FRs really are only needed for divebombs.

i mean if the guitar you want has one by all means get one, but they really arent all that special.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Thanks for all the great responses!

My eyes were opened earlier today to Agile and the AL-2500 looks great along with the Dauntess EMG Green Spalted also. Buying online is a non-issue because the local music store only deals with Cort and another brand or two (the reason the X-1 was on the list). So I would most likely have to buy online anyways. As for used gear, living in small town eastern Montana my selection is fairly limited also.

Just when I thought I was starting to narrow my choices a bit a monkey wrench gets thrown into the mix. This is going to be a harder choice than I thought. Seems to be (from other threads) that the general consensus seems to be that other than the rare exception (eg. great deals on used gear, and smaller companies like Agile), most guitars in my budget will preform about the same and it's based on personal preference?

I don't know, gonna drink another beer, spark another bowl, and think about it some more!

Thanks everyone!

(looking forward to even more suggestions and opinions!)
In my opinion when it comes to name brand guitars the Ibanez RG120 and Jackson JS22R seem like the best bet. Though if you dont mind I know a site www.rondomusic.com that sells great guitars in your price range such as the Douglas Spad or if you dont mind saving a little bit of money up the Agile AL-2000 would be better.
Quote by lunari
Thanks for all the great responses!

My eyes were opened earlier today to Agile and the AL-2500 looks great along with the Dauntess EMG Green Spalted also. Buying online is a non-issue because the local music store only deals with Cort and another brand or two (the reason the X-1 was on the list). So I would most likely have to buy online anyways. As for used gear, living in small town eastern Montana my selection is fairly limited also.

Just when I thought I was starting to narrow my choices a bit a monkey wrench gets thrown into the mix. This is going to be a harder choice than I thought. Seems to be (from other threads) that the general consensus seems to be that other than the rare exception (eg. great deals on used gear, and smaller companies like Agile), most guitars in my budget will preform about the same and it's based on personal preference?

I don't know, gonna drink another beer, spark another bowl, and think about it some more!

Thanks everyone!

(looking forward to even more suggestions and opinions!)

haha sounds like a good time for you... when i get my gibson im gunna be all kinds of silly when i go to pick it up... sigh 500 bucks to go... of course my girl friend will be driving
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jun 28, 2010,
if you really like that dauntless you should save up another hundred dollars (or less I'm not too sure of you're exact cash amount) and buy it. there's nothing that gets you more stoked to play guitar than when you have a guitar in your house that you love to play and look at.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP