The NUS (National Union of Students in the UK) to my knowledge has been in a favourable position of scrapping University fees to replace it for a different system. Instead of paying a portion of your wage (9% I believe it is) until your debt is cleared, (or scrapped after 25 if you do not pay it), you could be taxed between 0.25% and 2% of your income for 20 years. This will raise enough money to pay for the costs of scrapping fees apparently and would also give more people on average more money in their hands. It'll also make those with rich parents to have to pay for their education like the rest of us. This tax is for graduates only.

Ed Miliband, a candidate for the leadership of the British Labour Party (the opposition), has hinted at implementing such a system. According to him, it'll do two things; one, making access to education fairer, and two, be able to fund Universities to keep the high standard of education in higher education in the UK going.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jun/25/ed-miliband-suggests-graduate-tax

What do you think?

Discuss whether or not such an idea could be fair.
Last edited by Craigo at Jun 25, 2010,
He can promise whatever he wants, i think its a great idea but not gonna happen.
SMILE!
I already paid mine off so I don't really care. It's a good idea, but because graduates and dropouts will probably be paying off student loans too that could cut into the paycheck quite nastily.
everyone one should pay for a decent university system that's free for all.

graduating isn't the one way ticket to a high paycheck people pretend it is.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
everyone one should pay for a decent university system that's free for all.

graduating isn't the one way ticket to a high paycheck people pretend it is.

Seeing that I'm directly benefiting from other people's input in society, I feel like I owe something back anyway.
Seems a pretty decent idea to me. Unfortunately it'll never happen- common sense doesn't exist in Parliament.

Won't affect me directly, don't pay fees up here anyway.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Don't really know why but I just can't see this working.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Good idea on paper, but I hope it's sustainable. To be honest, I'd rather get it off my chest as quick as possible. There should be a selective rate at which I can choose to pay it. Or that rate should be at least scaled to my income.