Hey i am trying to find a nice guitar harmony for a riff i'm making for my band, and i have very little experience with harmonizing before. So i tried listening and trying to play some guitar riffs that i like that have harmonies. And i'm just wondering if anyone can help me with a riff real quick in this song by Rise to Remain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ItGXLqzgg
the guitars go into a harmony at about 0:30. Know the main riff that they harmonize goes something like(its in D standard tuning) :
D -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G --------5h7-7--5h7-------------------------------------5h7-7--5h7-------5-7--10-9-
D ------------------------000-000-000-000-0-0------------------------000------------

Just listen to the intro riff and you'll get the picture. What i was wondering about, is if someone could help me find the tabs of the harmony bit that they play at about 0:30 over that riff. And maybe what kind of harmony method they used?
Last edited by linkage25 at Jun 25, 2010,
Learn theory.

And even without knowing anything about the band beyond "they're a bit metal-y" I'd say it's thirds.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
which means that they play the riff 3 frets higher or that its three notes higher in the scale that they're in?
Quote by linkage25
which means that they play the riff 3 frets higher or that its three notes higher in the scale that they're in?

Three notes higher in the scale.

Learn theory.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
generally metal uses either the third or the fourth to harmonize riffs.

third is more common.

i would recommend

D-----4h5-5-4h5 to the main thing.
but i shouldn't assume i know what you're trying to do.

oh
and go learn theory.

EDIT:
i totally skimmed right past that link.
i didn't realize you were showing us a song.
still, i think i'm close anyway.
Last edited by DontPushMongo at Jun 27, 2010,
Thanks guys, and yeah im aware of that i need to learn more theory :P
Any tips on some relevant topcis that i should start off with?
And another thing, if i make up a riff that i haven't based of an scale in the first place, how do i figure out which scale its in?
Quote by linkage25
And another thing, if i make up a riff that i haven't based of an scale in the first place, how do i figure out which scale its in?

Go here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=the+crusade&search_type=columns

Read and learn, don't move on from one thing to the next until you understand what you're reading, any questions go to Musician Talk.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by linkage25

Here's what you need mate - this will teach you how to answer this question.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=The+Ultimate+Guide+To+Guitar&search_type=columns

It has everything you need to know for now since you can't answer that question yourself. I'm relatively new to the theory myself, but I'm almost having more fun learning about how everything works than actually playing, ZEG is awesome in these articles
Since it's in D minor, you would harmonize it in 3rds using the F major scale.
Slappa tha bass
Quote by hootie37
Since it's in D minor, you would harmonize it in 3rds using the F major scale.

No, you'd use D minor.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, you'd use D minor.

Well, technically yes. But it's always easier for me to just link the notes using the major scale, because it would be like D-F, E-G, F-A, and so on. Because, as you know, it syncs up perfectly. And if you were going to do it in fourths, you could use the G dorian scale I believe.
Slappa tha bass
Quote by hootie37
Well, technically yes. But it's always easier for me to just link the notes using the major scale, because it would be like D-F, E-G, F-A, and so on. Because, as you know, it syncs up perfectly. And if you were going to do it in fourths, you could use the G dorian scale I believe.

it might be easier for you, and if you want to think that way, there's nothing wrong, but it IS incorrect. you don't harmonize D minor with F major or G dorian, you harmonize D minor with D minor.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.