Hey i was looking for some new humbuckers to put in my jackson js32rt dinky. I was looking at pickups around 60-80 dollars each. I dont really like open coil pickups so id like covered. I want something that can do low chords really well without being muddy and to have low feedback. I was looking at stuff like EMG HZs or seymour duncan invaders or dimarzio evolutions or dimarzio d activator X's. Any suggestions?
I just recently put in 2 EMG HZ's in my custom guitar, I can tell you that they'll definitely do the job for you, I love em heh.
ledzeppelin7510 wrote:

come on guys, this could be great for Portnoy; remember when Neil Peart left Rush to join My Chemical Romance? Oh...wait...
the EMG-HZs are nice but i would go for the active EMGs instead as they don't concerntrate on passive pickups. get some seymour duncans probably best to take a JB/59 option as they are very nice and can do range of style well.

haven't tried the dimarzio's but heard lots of brillant things from them
Dean Zelinsky has some custom USA pickups that came out recently as part of his new company, DBZ guitars...not sure about the price, but you can email him to find out. The stock import pickups are great, so you can expect the USA's to be incredible.

http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/contact.html

There are like two ppl on the dbz forum who have the pickups (not sure about there names)...you can join and ask around to see how they sound.

If not, Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio are good brands to look at.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
DiMarzio D-Activators
DiMarzio Super Distortion
Seymour Duncan Distortion
Seymour Duncan Custom 5
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by hobo slayr
Hey i was looking for some new humbuckers to put in my jackson js32rt dinky. I was looking at pickups around 60-80 dollars each. I dont really like open coil pickups so id like covered. I want something that can do low chords really well without being muddy and to have low feedback. I was looking at stuff like EMG HZs or seymour duncan invaders or dimarzio evolutions or dimarzio d activator X's. Any suggestions?

Invaders are notoriously muddy. Evolutions are popular but they're mostly seen as a lead/shreddy pickups, they also have a reputation for making any mistakes you make 10x more noticeable
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by ragingkitty
DiMarzio D-Activators
Seymour Duncan Custom 5

I would not recommend a custom 5 for any metal player. In drop D it sounds pretty good but more of a rock pickup than anything metal. Totally different than the EMG sound it appears your after. I play in Drop C and my Custom 5 sounds pretty darn fuzzy and isnt very articulate. I have heard good things about the duncan distortion though. Its out of your price range by about 20-40 dollars but I would recommend the line of blackouts.
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
I would go with EMG active's. HZ if you are on a budget
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
I'm going to have to ask the age-old question:

What amp do you have? This is essential in order for us to know what type of pickups will compliment it and give you the type of tone you are after.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm going to have to ask the age-old question:

What amp do you have? This is essential in order for us to know what type of pickups will compliment it and give you the type of tone you are after.

This.

There's also no difference between open coil pickups and covered, aside from specific examples of covered pickups (i.e. EMGs) you can always put a cover on an open coil pickup as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by ragingkitty
DiMarzio D-Activators
Seymour Duncan Custom 5

i actually have a custom 5 and a distortion in my guitar. the custom 5 has a good amount of bass but there are much better metal pickups. the distortion doesn't have a lot of bass...and there are much better metal pickups.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
i have a peavey vypyr modeling amp. apparently it has analog distortion.