When playing I've noticed I can't alternate pick very fast without resting my arm and palm on the guitar.
This is bad right?
I've only been playing for about 1 1/2 years and really want to nip this in the bud if it is indeed something I should worry about.
Or is it not a major issue? *He says presuming it is*
Sorry if I sound stupid but this forum is the closest thing to professional instruction I have.
Ta
Take a look at some of your favourite players and see how they rest their arm/hand. Compare it against your own.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I don't do it. It gives me some freedom. If you watch Hendrix or SRV, they don't rest their hands on the guitar, but you probably play metal or something different, where I can see having to rest your palm. If you want to stop doing it, just stop. You'll be a little sloppy at first, but you'll bring yourself back up to speed. I don't think it's a "bad habit" per say.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
It is definitely a bad habit. It will limit your speed and precision in the long run, and cause your hand to get fatigued very quickly when you play fast runs.
Dude it's all about what works for you. If it gets in your way, drop it. If not then what's the big deal? If you can go fast and long then it's NOT a problem.
Resting your hand on the guitar limits your ability to have your hands completely free, for complete freedom some players never rest their hands on the guitar except on the strings for muting with their palm. Resting your arm is really not a good idea it locks your muscles

Some players like Petrucci and M. angelo batio rest their pinky when they do fast alternate picking but I dont recommend you to do that
Thanks peeps,
When I'm resting my hand I can play without palm muting y'know by just sliding it back.
Quote by AhViaMusicom
Resting your hand on the guitar limits your ability to have your hands completely free, for complete freedom some players never rest their hands on the guitar except on the strings for muting with their palm. Resting your arm is really not a good idea it locks your muscles

Some players like Petrucci and M. angelo batio rest their pinky when they do fast alternate picking but I dont recommend you to do that

This.

It's refered to as "Anchoring" and it limits your technique.

As long as you can still mute/palm mute effectively when you need to then being able to pick without "resting" your hand is good.
No contact with the guitar would be terrible >.>

I'm not really even sure what anchoring is, sometimes it seems like a good idea, sometimes it doesn't.
Paul Gilbert doesn't "anchor", according to what I've read, but does rest his arm and hand on the guitar.
But a floating hand sounds kinda stupid lol, like Guthrie Govan said "it'd be like trying to hit a moving target" xD
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
i think its a bad habit..i dont do it i do rest my forearm close to my elbow on the guitar..but not my hand.

it works for some..for others not so well..you do it for stablity..because your not used to the strings bouncing back at you...thats why they say play slow because if you dont..you will either be sloppy or anchor and in the long run..it will slow you down..how would you string skip? its a restriction
Depending on what i'm playing for me really.

Either i do like a spider shape and pick from that, rest my hand, or do it freely.

I just find some offer better accuracy, strength and agility.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.