Ive been using my strat for about 4 years now, but i just got into this really good Happy/Post Hardcore band, so its about time for a second guitar. price up to around $750 or so.
thanks in advance.
well the real starded would be an SG or a Les Paul. You can pick up a descet gibson for around that price. But you might be satisfied with a higher end Epi.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
do you have a good amp already?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
okay a few questions:

Active or Passive pickups?
Neck type preference?
Bridge preference?
Wood preference?
Brands you want to focus on/avoid?
22/24 frets?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by mikeyElite
do you have a good amp already?

my amps alright. not amaaazing, but itll do. its a B-52 ATX 100 halfstack.
Quote by JWD32792
okay a few questions:

Active or Passive pickups?
Neck type preference?
Bridge preference?
Wood preference?
Brands you want to focus on/avoid?
22/24 frets?

honestly the only one of those that i care about is having 22 frets.
Quote by GoodnightHero
my amps alright. not amaaazing, but itll do. its a B-52 ATX 100 halfstack.

good amp for what you'll be playing. for guitar i'd suggest an LTD from the ec series.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I know that artist signature models are kind of disliked here, but I'd highly recommend an Epiphone Iommi G400.

The pickups are simply phenomenal, and since the pair would cost close to $300 itself, the guitar is a great deal. The can do sludge (think Electric Wizard), but they're clean enough that I can play something Saosin or Protest the Hero with great clarity.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
I know that artist signature models are kind of disliked here, but I'd highly recommend an Epiphone Iommi G400.

The pickups are simply phenomenal, and since the pair would cost close to $300 itself, the guitar is a great deal. The can do sludge (think Electric Wizard), but they're clean enough that I can play something Saosin or Protest the Hero with great clarity.

what kind of pickups are those?
and that guitar looks like something out of a black metal band, which im definitely not feeling. haha. its a bit too gothic for my taste.
Quote by Funk Monk
what exactly is does a happy post hardcore band sound like?

http://www.myspace.com/thisistheshakedown

im not joining this one by the way. everyone on those recordings left the guitarist cause he was a prick, and im the new replacement. they headed into a little different direction with their music, so the first song (mathlete) is the closest to what were gonna be playing.
Last edited by GoodnightHero at Jun 26, 2010,
I would call that band pop punk and nothing else. not happy hardcore. not post anything.

music is okay, but no offense, the band picture at the top of the page REALLY made me wanna close the tab without listening.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
I would call that band pop punk and nothing else. not happy hardcore. not post anything.

music is okay, i probably would have been really into this like 2 or 3 years ago. but no offense, the band picture at the top of the page REALLY made me wanna close the tab without listening.

well thats the new guys..
and i said its kinda like that. more of that mixed with four year strong and chiodos kind of stuff. i see a pretty big difference from that and pop punk but its whatever.
i didn't even know bands were still doing this, this style of music has been dead for years. poppunk(especially with breakdowns) stopped being cool in like 2006. this just sounds like a bad four years strong ripoff, and four years strong sucks.
Quote by handbanana
i didn't even know bands were still doing this, this style of music has been dead for years. poppunk(especially with breakdowns) stopped being cool in like 2006. this just sounds like a bad four years strong ripoff, and four years strong sucks.

i like four year strong.. haha. and thats not my band, so it doesnt really matter to me.
i just wanted to know what kind of guitar i could get for a sound like mixed with some post hardcore (chiodos, underoath).

and i honestly couldnt care less about how cool the music im playing is. i dont play it cause it makes me
Quote by GoodnightHero
what kind of pickups are those?
and that guitar looks like something out of a black metal band, which im definitely not feeling. haha. its a bit too gothic for my taste.

Please tell us you know who Iommi is?
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7
Please tell us you know who Iommi is?

guitarist for black sabbath, yes i know who he is. just because im playing poppyish music doesnt mean im stupid.

and that still doesnt change the fact that the guitar is black on black with upside down crosses as the fret markers (if im thinking about the right one that is), which looks very gothic to me.
Last edited by GoodnightHero at Jun 26, 2010,
Check out Godin, the SD-22 and the Freeway Classic (which I have, and it's GOOD) are definitely in your price range, many people who have Godins say they're great for their price!
Thanks for actually answering the question haha
hmm, ive never heard of those... ill look into them. what style do you play?
Quote by Funk Monk
what exactly is does a happy post hardcore band sound like?

Fast 4/4 bass drums, cheesy piano lines, samples from pop songs only with slow parts instead of just 4/4 kicks at 160bpm all night.

It's like a rave that makes you think about all your friends moving away.

tl;dr - Happy hardcore is a type of techno and not a type of hardcore punk.

Anyways OP doesn't play any sorta hardcore, he plays pop punk. Poor, misinformed kids. This thread is now about happy hardcore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lVJTPRCf-o

OP should get a Roland TR-909 and a Juno.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Captain Panda
Check out Godin, the SD-22 and the Freeway Classic (which I have, and it's GOOD) are definitely in your price range, many people who have Godins say they're great for their price!

+1
SMILE!
Quote by GoodnightHero
Thanks for actually answering the question haha
hmm, ive never heard of those... ill look into them. what style do you play?

Me personally I play mainly blues/rock, but the freeway can do most styles pretty well. I haven't personally played an SD but I've only heard good things from them. And of course you'll also lots of people saying that if their godin guitar was a fender or a gibson, it'd be twice the price.

Yeah, that song isn't at all like what your description implied.

I was thinking more One Last Look, Sky Eats Airplane kind of stuff.

Anyway, I guess some kind of SG.

Or you could get whatever the hell you want and be an individual. JS. Guitars don't define genres. Amp settings and technique do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Or you could get whatever the hell you want and be an individual. JS. Guitars don't define genres. Amp settings and technique do.

well yeah i guess its more along the lines of sky eats. its a mix of the two styles, that song i showed you guys is what my band used to play. theyre looking to add more of a hardcore sceneish touch to it.

and i know. ive got the technique, and apparently the amp like someone said before, but my strat is full enough for the style. i was just looking for advice dude chill.
well a guitar thats around that price ibanez has some new out now that i wouldn't mind trying- and its already metalled out for you..
but what i would rec. first is going to seymour duncans web site and listen to all there pick ups audios (make sure you have a good system to play the sound through (headphones should work) i really like a nu metal sound along with some nice loud screams and the chug breakdowns when i want em... for me i am thinking about
duncan dimebucker (bridge) or new slash pick up
sjag-3 (middle)
invader (neck)
i think they will go together well... i know they each give me the sound i want and i think i have them positioned towhere the sounds wont interfer(ie the neck pick up always stands out front when on switch is on rhythm )
but i would do this first to give you some type of insight to what sound you like ... then you can look for guitar woods you like(end up making your guitar from a custum shop. if you look around you can find it for like 700$$ to a lil under 2000 .... or just a guitar you like that either has those pick ups or you can buy em....
this is if your serious about having you own sound... but will be the way i choose to go when im there.
Wood makes for a damm hard core but,there are metallic guitars out there if you need something harder.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Offworld92

Yep. Me too.

I agree with this post almost 100%.
Okay, the band sounds like one of those popmosh bands. Let's leave it go and say it isn't hardcore or whatever, it sounds good to me, TS obviously likes it, help him get a guitar.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Singlecut-Electric-Guitar?sku=519375
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these: