I was wondering if a RC-2, or something similar that can loop would need to be put in an fx loop, or can the pedal be in front of my amp?

I don't have an fx loop, so my order of operation would be guitar pluged into pedal, pluged into amp. would this work? would it sound bad>?
Those need to be run in fx loops to work correctly, sorry to tell you.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
They can go wherever, just remember that any effects (and amp distortion) places after the loop will affect all the loops you have going when you turn it on/off. You wouldn't be able to, say, loop a clean passage and put a distorted lead over it if you have it in front of the amp and are using the amp's gain.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by Lt.DustyBanana

seriously, the amount of dud info put out in these forums is phenomenal....
Quote by Lt.DustyBanana

What the hell? That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen on UG, sorry.

To TS: The looping pedal can go anywhere, but I'd recommend setting the amp to clean and putting the looper in front of the amp with a distortion pedal before that. If you do it like that, you can create a clean loop and play distorted over it, or have a distorted loop and play clean on it, or any combination like that.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by rgoring
seriously, the amount of dud info put out in these forums is phenomenal....

Eh, while his statement is factually incorrect, it does have some merit.
Running a loop, live guitar, and possibly drums through the entire preamp isn't really the best idea. It can be done (like plugging two different guitars through the amp input) but it isn't ideal
i should have been a little more specific, while i realize it is possible to get desired/good results by using a looper pedal in an FX loop, it is by no means the 'only' or 'proper' way of using it. I should also point out that im not targeting that person, I've been wanting to post something about the lack of knowledgable advice given regularly throughout this forum for a while, this one just got me at the right time.. appologies if i have offended.
Quote by rgoring
i should have been a little more specific, while i realize it is possible to get desired/good results by using a looper pedal in an FX loop, it is by no means the 'only' or 'proper' way of using it.
Discounting being funky or inventive, it is the only proper way if you are getting your distortion from the amp's preamp.
I run my RC-2 infront, but i spose my setup is kind of unique, not really though.

to the TS, ultimately it's up to you to try it out a few ways and see what works/sounds best to you.
Last edited by rgoring at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by rgoring
i should have been a little more specific, while i realize it is possible to get desired/good results by using a looper pedal in an FX loop, it is by no means the 'only' or 'proper' way of using it. I should also point out that im not targeting that person, I've been wanting to post something about the lack of knowledgable advice given regularly throughout this forum for a while, this one just got me at the right time.. appologies if i have offended.

Nah man it's fine, don't worry about it. It's just that I bought a loop station to make backing tracks to solo over and was sorely disappointed when it sounded like ass with any amount of distortion. Sure it worked fine with clean channels, but with distortion it all blended together like a big mess.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II