So, as my 18th birthday is fast approaching, my parents decided that if i help pay for it they will buy me a nice guitar for my 18th birthday (i love my parents ).

Long story short, i have narrowed it down to two choices.

-Ibanez UV777 Universe
-Carvin DC747 Custom

I have played the Universe and loved it, however because i live where i do, there is pretty much no chance of me being able to try a Carvin.

Help me guys! I need some advice on this one!
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Ibanez because it is probably more versatile and its a better known company, Ive never heard of Carvin guitars, but the ibanez would probably be a better choice try them both out and but the one that you think sounds and plays better
personally the carvin looks nicer but as the guy above says the ibanez will be more versitile

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Quote by GibsonnFender
Ibanez because it is probably more versatile and its a better known company, Ive never heard of Carvin guitars, but the ibanez would probably be a better choice try them both out and but the one that you think sounds and plays better

i've tried the UV777, but not the carvin because no one has one to try that i know of anywhere near me.

Carvin are a custom shop brand, they make steve vai's amp's as well.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

mm...right,get the carvin!

seriously,I would personally go for the UV, because

I'm a massive steve vai fan
the UV looks better to me
IT has the incredible LoPro edge trem
and carvin stock pups are ...well not as good as dimarzios

and wait,you played it and loved it?what are you waiting for then?

Quote by aradine
both completely moot points.

alot of people speak very highly of carvin's, and the fact it's a custom shop (well, sort of) is a selling point for me.

I know.. you probably didnt see "I personally" there

well then go for the carvin....

JEM's and UV's(and also J.custom,but JEM is there flagship guitar) are the highest quality guitars made by ibanez,and I doubt that it will have less quality than a carvin..both will be pretty much equal quality-wise

another fact is the Lo Pro,which is basically an OFR with a much lower profile(meaning much more comfortable) and locking studs..which increase the tuning stability

IMo dimarzios>carvin pups
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 26, 2010,
Both stellar axe's

A con of the custom would be waiting for it, With the ibanez the resale value is always there too if you end up disliking it. You just gota go with your gut.
Quote by archenemyfan
mm...right,get the carvin!

seriously,I would personally go for the UV, because

I'm a massive steve vai fan
the UV looks better to me
IT has the incredible LoPro edge trem
and carvin stock pups are ...well not as good as dimarzios

and wait,you played it and loved it?what are you waiting for then?

both completely moot points.

alot of people speak very highly of carvin's, and the fact it's a custom shop (well, sort of) is a selling point for me.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

To be honest, outside of people comparing two completely different styles of guitar, I don't think I've ever seen a choice where I didn't think the Carvin wasn't the better buy. Got one of my own coming up soon.
Hands down the Carvin.

The Carvin will be just as versatile but at a higher quality. Just check out the specs.

Plus you have total customization through Carvin as well.

-My Opinion
While I don't own one, I have 2 Carvins on my wish list.

Why?

Because I know several Carvin owners, all of whom love their guitars. I own a few luthier guitars, and I'd say the Carvins are pretty close to them in quality.

That said, I'm NOT badmouthing the Ibanez. There are hordes of great guitarists who swear by them. I just don't know anyone who owns one of similar quality to the Carvins I've seen, just the more entry-level ones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!