I need to get new strings, and I don't know what kinds to try. What is the best strings to use (in your opinion)?
It depends on your wants/needs.

Me personally? I used to use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's on my electrics, but recently i tried DR Hi-Beams, with some kind of fancy core or something. They sound INTENSE on my Strat. Nice and punchy. But they just make my Les Paul sound slightly too jangly, in my opinion.

So you know.

Personal taste, son. Rule of thumb though, thicker string = gnarlier tone. So sacrifice some skin for that rock. How much you give up is up to you though.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I have a les paul, and I like a deeper sound, for solos. But gritty for metal-core. And I don't mind thicker strings. What thickness is best for the string?
Last edited by Jreed08013 at Jun 26, 2010,
I like Ernie Ball stings in the green pack. They are .10s and they have a little heavier attack and more sustain than the .09s, but the 09s have less tension. If you play a low action guitar you probably would want .09s. I've tried just about every brand over the past 22 years of playing and I always wind up switching back to EB. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I just love the over all tone and feel.
With the bands you seem to like, try tuning down to like C or something, get some thicker strings it sounds way cooler. .11s have something about them.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkys. 11 Gauge, In Standard E tuning. I went up from .10s because I wanted more tension.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I three different brands

Dr strings Hi-beams (11-50) are really bright in my strat but are really punchy in my RR5FR.

Dr strings Tite-fits (10-46) are the warmer version of the Hi-beams but super flexible so they're good for bending.

Dunlop Heavy Core Heaviest Gauge (12-54) regular tension when dropped tuned not recommended for standard. tone wise punchy and raw suited for metal.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Jun 26, 2010,
I advise (if you have a floyd rose) stay away from Ernie Slinky Top Heavy Bottoms (10-52), unless you have a good local tech (as i do) to set it up for you.

The unbalance of the heavy bottoms is really hard to adjust with the floyd rose. Its also hard to find other string brands that have this size (i know D'Addario does but no shop sells them :/)

In short, stay with a usual string size, no custom sizes like mine.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
has anyone tried gibson strings? how are they?
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by crzysnowborder

I'm not a big fan of Gibson strings, but admittedly it has been a very long time since I've used them. They might have improved considerably by now.

I like the Dean Markley Nickel Steel .10 to .46. There are a lot of other good brands out there, though. It is all going to come down to what you like; not what other people like.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41

I like the Dean Markley Nickel Steel .10 to .46. There are a lot of other good brands out there, though. It is all going to come down to what you like; not what other people like.

+1 blue steel 10's for me. they never oxidize lol
elixer for me, .10's, for strat and lp but lil lighter for my hollowbody
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
On my Schecter which is downtuned one step down I have Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky .11-54's and on my Lead II which is in standard tuning i have Elixer .10-46's.
its personal taste issue...

for me DR's are my favorite, but go through strings too fast to pay $8-$10 a pack, so i use the next best. D'addario. i like their nickelwound blues the best. they come in a 10 pack for like $35 in 9's 10's and 11's.

i personally have had really bad luck with ernie ball's and would never bother to string a set on a guitar of mine again.

GHS boomers have been decent to me in the past, but they got too inconsistant for a while there, and i always liked D'addarios better after i started using them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by crzysnowborder

I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's on my strat and Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's on my tele custom. I dont like Gibson strings on electric guitars but i love them on acoustic ones, they have a deep powerfull sond but is still light.
Quote by FrenchBread
I'm a big fan of D'Addario XL strings. Currently I like the 11's with an unwound G.

I use these, or the same strings but 10s, depending on what guitar I'm putting them on.

They're pretty bright sounding strings though, so I don't know if that's what you're after.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.