10-20 hours
13 24%
Over 9000
23 43%
Other, (Specify if you cba)
16 30%
Voters: 54.
Hey Guys and lass's

Might be interesting to know / find out how long the average players strings last, Before answering some things to consider put in your post,

- What brand and gauge do you use?
- What type of music you play?
- How is your axe stored? i.e case / stand.

Personally I use Ernie ball slinkys (52-10) but i have heard some bad things about them not lasting long which after reading some posts here hopefully i can form my own opinion of compared to other brands, Generally they will last around 10-15 hours before i really cant stand using them anymore, i mainly thrash my guitar out and keep it in a case, so im all over the board.
When them fükkers break! Otherwise......
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
hours... That's absurd. In a perfect world I'd be changing my strings every week-two weeks, I just love the sound of fresh strings!
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Quote by Kannif
Hey Guys and lass's

Might be interesting to know / find out how long the average players strings last, Before answering some things to consider put in your post,

Personally I use Ernie ball slinkys (52-10) but i have heard some bad things about them not lasting long which after reading some posts here hopefully i can form my own opinion of compared to other brands, Generally they will last around 10-15 hours before i really cant stand using them anymore, i mainly thrash my guitar out and keep it in a case, so im all over the board.

Dude, do you not wipe down your strings? 10-15 hours... WTF. I use 9-42 Ernie Ball Super Slinky pinks and never have any problems with them. I wipe them down and make sure I wash my hands before I play and they last me 2 or so months and still feel new.
hours? i hope you mean total play time. I personally play Dean Markley Blue Steel .10's on my electrics, and Fender FlatWound .11's on my hollowbody. I either play till they break, play till they rust, or change em before a gig.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Ernie Ball: 10-52 and D'addario: 9-59(7 string)
I play mainly thrash.
Keep my guitars in a 5-guitar stand.

I play 4 different guitars evenly so this is just a rough estimate, but I'd say my strings usually last a month or 2 before I have to change them so maybe ~30hrs of play time.
whenever they start sounding flat/dull. usually a few months.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
on my acoustic once a month at most
an my electric with wammy bar i usually put it of cause of lazyness but never more than couple months
this is of course when its affordabke
sometume i go over cause i cant afford new strings
A month and Dunlop 9 - 42. Used to be Ernie Ball Slinkys but even when I wiped them down and etc, they only lasted a 2 weeks at best. The Dunlops last me a month or so and just feel better to me.
Quote by Kannif
Hey Guys and lass's

wtf my ernie ball slinky's last me at least a month and I play 6+ hours a day.
Acoustics: D'Addario, forget what gauge since i rarely replace 'em
Electrics: Ernie Ball 10's for standard tuned guitars and Ernie Ball Skinny top Heavy bottom's for open D/drop C guitar

On my acoustics whenever they snap which can take 2 - 3 years.
On my electrics about every 3 months which is about ~250 hours of playing, although when I first started playing i would play on the same strings until they snapped which would take around a year
i bought this telecaster and it was from 1991 and it still had the original strings because the guy never played it he just kept it in its case in his closet so those strings were there for a full 19 years
Every four months.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Seems like i must have some serious hand problems, or im too into the feel / sound of brand new strings.

And yeh Tk1 i mean play time, would be horrid it was actual time lol.

@jacksondkmg, I feel your pain there 16$ in Adelaide.
Quote by Kannif
Seems like i must have some serious hand problems, or im too into the feel / sound of brand new strings.

And yeh Tk1 i mean play time, would be horrid it was actual time lol.

@jacksondkmg, I feel your pain there 16$ in Adelaide.

yeah, they are expensive in adelaide :s
i change every two weeks, thats at a minimum of 56 hours every 2 weeks, I play always. I never put my guitar down also 98% of the time, its my 7 string
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I play my guitar for about an hour a day. And I change my strings about every 3 to 4 months. That's like 90 to 120 hours of play time on my strings.

It's awesome because they get soooo dull and lifeless that when I finally put on new strings, it's extremely amazing feeling.
I replace them every two weeks, or less. Usually due to high e breakage or the side effects of "maintenance."
I use D'addario Hybrid 9's and .70 Dunlop Tortex picks. Play mainly blues/metal and i change the strings as soon as they lose that 'new string' sound.
^ Haha, Gilbert's pinky. I used to do a lot of finger exercises to get a powerful pinky. The effect is that my pinky is very powerful. However, this strength is EXTREMELY unbalanced since when the calluses on my pinky are quite shit.

About that... I switched from D'addario 9s to Dunlop 10s. The 9s felt too thin and airy as soon as I got used to them. 10 is tough and very nice to bend. I know this is shameful, but I use 3.0 mm picks. Dunlop Big Stubby. I used to use thin picks but the grip contour in the Big Stubby made me fall in love with it. If anyone has a hard time moving to large string gauges, I really recommend this godly pick.
i hate changing strings. ive got a guitar thats had the strings on it since i got it. well, technically i have 2, but the one im thinking about ive had for 18 months, the other only for a few weeks.

i usually change my strings every 6-9 months. i really only change my strings when they get completly dead, because im lazy. i try to always wipe my strings down after i play, which i find helps them last longer. i should change them more, but i dont

i use DR titefit 10s and all of my guitars are on stands.
I change mine only when they get too stiff to play. My one guitar's had its original set for over three years...
Something like every 6 months, DR's seem to last forever, so i only think about changing them when i've got some money.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
It's usually when ever I have enough money left over, or when the strings just feel really rusty/horrible.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Either whenever they break or become too dirty or stiff
Quote by Kensai
Don't dig up the past, TS. You're not gonna like what you find.