Ok I have been playing guitar for two years or so. I can play guitar, but i feel that I am leaving the importance of playing out. I mostly play just by ear, I don't really know any music theory what so ever. and I was wondering what or where is a good place to start. Most of the Genre of music that I play is Metal and above. (metalcore/hardcore/etc.)
I would suggest learning some basic theory, or at least dip your toes in. The link in my sig has lessons I've made that (I feel) are easy to follow; as well, this site has plenty of lessons.

also, maybe try broadening your musical tastes a bit? whether that be listening to new bands or new genres.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Well learn the theory, not necessarily how to read music, but the differences in Major and Minor, Fifth and Seventh.

Also broaden your horizons, check out how people play in other styles and maybe mix it with your own.
Once fixed a toilet with an old trombone...
Learn the major ... or really any scale, you're just surpassed Kerry King

Seriously though, www.musictheory.net has all you need for now.
Last edited by pwrmax at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by Horizon215
Ok I have been playing guitar for two years or so. I can play guitar, but i feel that I am leaving the importance of playing out. I mostly play just by ear, I don't really know any music theory what so ever. and I was wondering what or where is a good place to start. Most of the Genre of music that I play is Metal and above. (metalcore/hardcore/etc.)

Well, if you're playing your guitar, then you're not leaving out the "importance of playing".... I mean...... you're PLAYING.

Obviously though, you're interested in theory...... great.

to prepare:

- learn to read standard notation

- build up a repertoire of music

When you know a decent amount of music (by memory), and can read fluently.... THEN... get yourself a good theory book and/or take a class.

I find that without this preparation, people are less like to get a deep understanding from their theory studies. You may pick up a few fancy words to throw around in a forum but If you really want to get the most out of it, you'll need to be prepared.

Keep in mind, that no matter how much you learn, the most important factor in creating music will always be the same........LISTENING. This will never change, and you can do it right now.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by Horizon215

I'd recommend being able to read sheet music first and apply it to your guitar fretboard so you can visualize some theory concepts...