Hey UG,

I recently learned to replace my own pickups. I want to replace the single coil in my Ibanez S570DXQM, and I was looking at some DiMarzio Hum Cancelling single coils. When I look at their installation diagrams for a Humbucker, HumCancelling Single Coil, Humbucker setup, it looks different than my Ibanez's guts.

The wiring diagram for Humbucker-Single-Humbucker looks normal.

I just want to know if I have to wire the Hum Cancelling Single Coil a different way, or if I can just do a straight swap.

Thanks guys!

-Sean
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Four conductor? Wire it as if it was a humbucker because that's what it is, it's just in a smaller package..
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Four conductor? Wire it as if it was a humbucker because that's what it is, it's just in a smaller package..

Well, I'm really new to this stuff. Can I even wire a third humbucker in?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Sure. Visit the wiring thread here. A humbucker and a sc wire up exactly the same really. It's all about how you connect the 4 conductors before they get to the switch. Normally you wire a hb in series but I have a switch on one of mine to go between series/parallel/split but from there you still effectively just present a single wire to the main pickup switch regardless.

This is a HSH Jem wiring diagram from DiMarzio.
http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/C.pdf
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 26, 2010,
Here is what confuses me. This is the Dimarzio wiring diagram for a hum cancelling single coil.

http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/B2.pdf

The problem is that the switch looks different on the 2 diagrams, so I don't know what to do.
Quote by rmr024

Does your switch look like the one in the diagram you just posted?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Does your switch look like the one in the diagram you just posted?

No, it looks like the one in the Diagram you posted.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by forsaknazrael
Find the diagram for your guitar on Ibanez's site, and then just solder the black and white wires on your new pickups together, tape them off and ignore them.

Just wire it up like normal, with the red being hot, and green being ground.

So I just cancel out the Black and White ones on the Hum Cancelling?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by forsaknazrael
You're just making it complicated. A hum canceling single coil is composed of two coils that reverse wound and reverse polarity, just like a humbucker.

So just wire it like one.

So...solder the white and black together then?

Sorry, I'm a noob. I literally switched my first pickup today.
Quote by rmr024

Okay, thank you.

I'm thinking about just doing a regular single coil since this is my first project.

What sounds better in the middle position to you guys, a Dimarzio True Velvet, or an Area 67
Quote by rmr024

Don't use a hum cancelling sc in a HSH guitar. When it is used in combination with a bucker (which is what people do most of the time), the bucker is split. The bucker is therefore not hum-cancelling anymore. When using a regular single coil with reverse winding/reverse polarity together with said bucker, the hum will be canceled out (for the most part). When using a hum-cancelling sc, the hum from the split bucker will stay.
Well, there's pluses and minuses. Normally with a HSH strat it's wired so that in positions 2 and 4 you only get one coil from the neck/bridge pickup in parallel with the middle pup for quack. If yours is wired that way you get a single coil from the neck/bridge in parallel with a series connected humbucker. The humbucker (the noice canceling sc) will swamp the neck/bridge winding, it certainly won't quack properly.
However, if you rewire it to a simpler config for the neck and bridge so those are just series connected like the new one and hook it up to the switch the same way you can have a simple parallel connection between series connected humbuckers. No quack but lots of fat.
Confused yet? It all depends on how yours is wired.

Edit: Yes, you can't have hum cancelling with three coils, you need an even number.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 26, 2010,
That sounds WAY to complicated...and I'm scared enough to mess with the new guitar as it is. Thanks for the help, but I think I'm gonna go with a normal single coil...take out some of the headache.
Quote by rmr024