Can anyone give me some advice on how to come up with some really awesome riffs. Im having one of those days :/
Take a cheezy riff you know, write it out backwards then play it faster or slower, then go from there...
Quote by alphablade7
Can anyone give me some advice on how to come up with some really awesome riffs. Im having one of those days :/

How did you do it on the other days?

but seriously....

step 1) learn some really awesome riffs ..... play and appreciate them

step 2) LISTEN & write some riffs
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 26, 2010,
Trying using a scale you don't use very often, or learn a new scale entirely. That usually helps me out
You can't force inspiration. If you're having an "off day" then just focus on something else, like theory, until you have an "on day."
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Same prob here what has helped in the past and i should prob do it again

combine scales
change tuning
mute all the strings and chuck a few notes in the middle whilst keeping the beat "chk chk chk chk bin skid do dup chk chk chk bwo bwah chk chk" etc lol
throw in some funky chords
Quote by jhj
Same prob here what has helped in the past and i should prob do it again

combine scales
change tuning
mute all the strings and chuck a few notes in the middle whilst keeping the beat "chk chk chk chk bin skid do dup chk chk chk bwo bwah chk chk" etc lol
throw in some funky chords

^
wtf?

When im having an off day and I feel like everything I play sounds the same, Ill usually try playing something just for fun, instead of "trying"...does that make sense? Like I usually try to play thrash/metal stuff, but when I cant come up with anything cool, ill just switch my amp to acoustic mode or some weird flanger sounds and play like that. Then when I start to have fun and my spirits are up, i seem to do better at making riffs.

Also, dont sweat it, I have alot of those off days if im in a bad mood or somethings not going right in my life etc etc. Itll pass and youll just appreciate the days you do have fun even more.
ps. also listen to alot of music, thatll give you inspiration.
Haha you know the noise everyone does when they pick up ur electric guitar but they don't play :p that's what i was referring too