ok so ive been playing for about 3 years im 14 and jobless. so i came to think it was time to upgrade. so shood i upgrade my strat to something more suitable for my own taste like metal. or my line 6 amp to the new marshall 5. and last but my favorite option should i get some version of amplitube or guitar software and record and use those amp models ad post on different web sites. if i didnt mention im not in a band and where i live looks like i wont be in one for a while its pretty dry. =(

thanks in advance
Bryce
If you've got the money if you're able to save, get amplitube and a nice upgrade metal/rock guitar. Nothing really over £300 if you're jobless imo.
U can sell the strat to help fund your purchase of a screamin' metal guitar. But yea, I would suggest you get your computer program first. There are some of them that have the option built into them to switch the sound of your pickups from single coil to humbucker and vice versa
i haven't tried it, but i don't think the class 5 is a metal amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS, if you want an amp, look for a used Line6 Flextone III (I'm assuming you have a Spider?). If you want to get started on recording, better get an amp sim, an audio interface to plug your guitar into and a DAW. Concerning the latter, you can get Cubase 5 Essential for 75€ as a student. Very nice program.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried it, but i don't think the class 5 is a metal amp.

Oh, it does a great classic metal tone... when it's hooked up to a 4x12" with Greenbacks and boosted like all hell. On it's own though.... eh.
Quote by TheQuailman
TS, if you want an amp, look for a used Line6 Flextone III (I'm assuming you have a Spider?). If you want to get started on recording, better get an amp sim, an audio interface to plug your guitar into and a DAW. Concerning the latter, you can get Cubase 5 Essential for 75€ as a student. Very nice program.

Oh, it does a great classic metal tone... when it's hooked up to a 4x12" with Greenbacks and boosted like all hell. On it's own though.... eh.

Yea, no doubt. the class 5 is a great little amp for a 5 watt. And it will boost itself nicely at a low volume, and I think it is a tube amp as well, so yea, put a tube screamer in front of it, and that thing will get nice and nasty
It needs a speaker swap to be honest. The stock one doesn't suit it at all. That's nearly 400€ for the amp and another 100€ for a speaker. A Laney L5 isn't far from that, or a used Cornford Harlequin, or a Koch Studiotone, etc.

It's nice for sure, but it's very dear for what it is, even for a handwired amp.
Quote by TheQuailman
It needs a speaker swap to be honest. The stock one doesn't suit it at all. That's nearly 400€ for the amp and another 100€ for a speaker. A Laney L5 isn't far from that, or a used Cornford Harlequin, or a Koch Studiotone, etc.

It's nice for sure, but it's very dear for what it is, even for a handwired amp.

The speakers should not cost another 100 for them. Here in the states, there is a company called avatar speakers, and they have a online store on ebay. They sell vintage 30's for around $45(US) + 12 for shipping, so that would come to, what 50 of you guy's currency? I'm not sure of the exchange rate, but I think almost 1 of our dollars is equal to 1.75 of yours

They are a wholesale store open to the general public
1€ is currently worth $1.23. There's more to importing stuff from the States by the way, shipping cost + import tax + VAT. It's usually not feasible.

A V30 is 100€ new practically anywhere. Avatar does not list it's price (nor the prices of any of the other higher-end Celestions on it's site), but the other speakers are priced pretty normaly. I don't expect them to sell you a V30 for much less than $100 if you requested it. $45 is definitely out of the question.

Ergo:

EDIT: Dunno where you get the idea a Dollar is worth 1.75€, the Dollar's been pretty low for years. '08 was a pretty good year for buying imported guitars, hehe.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by xoguitarist95ox
k and sorry i should of added its a squier =( worth made 100usd

Ok, guitar is first priority.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by TheQuailman

aye, it's a lot of money. plus it's not handwired. and the early ones had problems with rattle.

As i said I haven't tried one, maybe it does kick ass. But i can't imagine why you'd buy one when you can get a valvepower 18 watt clone with VVR (granted it's a head, so you need a speaker cab too) for the same, or a similar, price. And as you say, if you're after more modern metal tones, something like a cornford harlequin for not much more (if you consider that it already has a decent speaker etc.).

also i don't think avatar ships to europe.

EDIT: to be honest if you're in the states I wouldn't be looking at either marshall or cornford, there are going to be far better value options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheQuailman
1€ is currently worth $1.23. There's more to importing stuff from the States by the way, shipping cost + import tax + VAT. It's usually not feasible.

A V30 is 100€ new practically anywhere. Avatar does not list it's price (nor the prices of any of the other higher-end Celestions on it's site), but the other speakers are priced pretty normaly. I don't expect them to sell you a V30 for much less than $100 if you requested it. $45 is definitely out of the question.

Ergo:

EDIT: Dunno where you get the idea a Dollar is worth 1.75€, the Dollar's been pretty low for years. '08 was a pretty good year for buying imported guitars, hehe.

I didn't get the exchange rate anywhere. I took a shot in the dark haha and btw I was estimating your pound to be more than our dollar
here's a set of V30's that ship worldwide(yes, they are used);

http://cgi.ebay.com/CELESTION-VINTAGE-30-8-OHM-MADE-ENGLAND-SPEAKER-PAIR-/270596461625?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f00ce5439

here's another one, and the guy has the other listed in another auction(Used as well);

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-30-Celestion-16-ohm-Speaker-1-2-sale-/250657148475?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5c548e3b

And here's a link to avatar speakers' ebay store;

http://shop.ebay.com/daveavatarspeakers/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Good luck! btw, I have seen some of his auctions end at merely 30 dollars.
Quote by charles_ebarb
I didn't get the exchange rate anywhere. I took a shot in the dark haha and btw I was estimating your pound to be more than our dollar

Ah, I see. It's not pounds though, it's Euros... your shot in the dark wasn't that bad, pretty accurate when talking about the pound/dollar-rate three of four years ago. It's gone down shitter since then.

A pound is now 1.1€ or 1.2€, which is what, $1.3-$1.4? Time to buy British amps I say.

I can get USED speakers for cheap here, too. I mean, ebay's got a lot to offer. I was talking about the prices of new equipment though. Plus, you still need to add shipping costs +27% import tax +VAT (which varies a bit, where I live it's 19%).

Importing used stuff from one continent to another really only pays off when you're looking at a rare piece of equipment that you're not likely to come across often on the used market. For stuff like Celestions which you can find anywhere on the globe, it just doesn't pay off.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 27, 2010,
the euro is devaluing, though. Or at least, I'm hoping it will. With any luck (for me) it will, the euro zone is in bother and some of the euro ministers have said it wouldn't be a bad thing if it devalued to help exports.

now the yen just has to devalue a bit. if you think the pound's devaluations against the dollar and euro were bad, look at what it did versus the yen

EDIT: wow, that's a lot of import tax. here it's like 3.5% on guitars, lol (though 17.5% VAT is added too, but that's technically not import tax)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you have a line 6 spider i dont blame you for wanting to upgrade i have one and it sucks massive ****!
Quote by Dave_Mc
the euro is devaluing, though. Or at least, I'm hoping it will. With any luck (for me) it will, the euro zone is in bother and some of the euro ministers have said it wouldn't be a bad thing if it devalued to help exports.

now the yen just has to devalue a bit. if you think the pound's devaluations against the dollar and euro were bad, look at what it did versus the yen

EDIT: wow, that's a lot of import tax. here it's like 3.5% on guitars, lol (though 17.5% VAT is added too, but that's technically not import tax)

Soon to be 20% VAT!

Im glad I purchased all my ENGL Gear when I did from Thomann when the pound was still strong or I would of had to part with a lot more pounds than I did.

To TS.

You can acquire much of the software you need for recording and guitar amp simulation for free if you have the know how.

You could buy a recording interface then save a bit more for a guitar?

Wire up some PC speakers to the recording interface and you will have a decent sounding "Guitar Amp" to practice with.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
yeah, 20% in about 6 months.

I'm kind of annoyed that I didn't buy a lot more stuff before the pound devalued, but at the same time I'm glad I bought what I did when I did, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?