Theres this 4x12 halfstack at my local music shop. Its a Peavey head and cab with two channels and something about transtube. Can anyone tell me more about this amp? Is it good for metal? Is it worth $420?

Also, I'm primarily a bass player, but I'm getting a guitar amp because some guys want me in a band playing guitar. I really want a new bass amp, but since Ill be giging with guitar Ill need a guitar amp more. I know you can play guitar through bass amps, but I dont really know what the sond quality would be like. Playing through my Orange combo it's really bassy. But my old Carvin redline sounded pretty good with guitar. My question is: Would getting a bass amp like the Gallien Krueger MB 212 combo and using a distortion pedal give me a good tone? Im not looking for anything particularly extravagant; just something I can play music like mychildren mybride, killswitch engage, demon hunter, and the like.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Transtube stuff is solid state but top notch solid state compared to a lot of the shit you might have played up until now.

Peavey SS tends to be good for metal, but I think that amp might not be good for much else. If it's the XXL I think it's a bit on the fizzy size.

A lot of guitarists like to play through bass combos, but they're mostly older tube combos. Modern bass amps don't tend to take guitar as well. They often tend to have much more full range speakers which are nice for cleans but get fizzy with distortion.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Transtube stuff is solid state but top notch solid state compared to a lot of the shit you might have played up until now.

+99999

the old peavey transtubes really are solid state amps at their best. And yeah they shine most for metal.

But tbh with the amount of money being asked for than you could easily get a decent tube amp.
I use to have a very small peavey practice amp that was trans tube. Trans tube basically is solid state that tries to emulate the tubeish sound, it actually works pretty well in peavey's, but can't replace actual tubes.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
So what tube amp could I get for that price that would be better than the peavy?

EDIT: While reading another thread about this subject I read a post suggesting that th OP just buy a guitar amp and replace the speakers with ones that can handle the low frequencies. If I bought the Peavey, replaced the speakers, and then bought a bass amp head, could the cabinet be used with both heads? In hindsight I may be better off just buying separate amps.

EDIT: Better idea. The bass amp I want is a 500 watt GK combo with two 12 speakers. If the bass amp head is the problem with the tone for guitar, Id be more than happy to purchase the Peavey amp head and use it with the speakers in the bass combo.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jun 26, 2010,
Do you need a 4x12 Halfstack? The newer Peavey Bandits are incredibly loud, affordable, and should give you the same kind of sound. They have a speaker out so if you're playing live, you can play throug a 4x12 that was almost invariably always be there.

That'd leave you with plenty space and money to get a Bass cab. You don't need more than a 1x12" for Guitar. You generally do for Bass(generally a 1x15" or 2x10" minimum, I'm sure there are exceptions though, I hope there are as I'd love to play Bass but don't have the space).

EDIT: While reading another thread about this subject I read a post suggesting that th OP just buy a guitar amp and replace the speakers with ones that can handle the low frequencies. If I bought the Peavey, replaced the speakers, and then bought a bass amp head, could the cabinet be used with both heads? In hindsight I may be better off just buying separate amps.

I wanted to do this too. See the thread where the guy has a Peavey Bandit with a car stereo speaker in it. It sounds like crap. It wouldn't be as bad as that, but Bass speakers are still generally more full range. There could be some exceptions though.

If there are, I'd love to hear them. But generally the issue with Bass isn't just the frequencies the speaker can "Handle", it's how the cab is set up to accomodate for rattle etc.

Bass amps are also much higher wattage because of the amount of power required in recreating low frequencies at high volumes - we are not as sensitive to it. Wave your hand in front of your face as fast as you can - yeah it'll make a noise but you won't hear the "Bass" frequency even if it's been technically created, say at around 4hz or so. Whereas if you had something like a ruler that you can plink at a much higher frequency, you do start to hear the sound it makes.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Jun 26, 2010,