So I've just had an arguement with my neighbor (his words were something like "Shut the f**k up, your singing is sh*t!"). So- other than wanting to seriously hurt this guy - I realised it was probably time I ask for a vocal critique from these forums.

I'm mainly a guitar player, but I've been teaching myself singing and would really like to know what I can do better (and, of course, if you want to let me know what you like about my voice it would really help my bruised ego right now ).

The song is on my profile...it's a cover of Triviums "Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr"- but I've kinda done my own version with clean singing and slower, doomier music.

Please let me know what you guys think Especially wanting to hear from some of the singing teachers on this board...
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Get vocal coaching.

+1
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
I listened to it, you sound all right to me. Though, I think you probably could have picked a better song for your style, and it would really help if you got the lyrics right.
Quote by robhc
I listened to it, you sound all right to me. Though, I think you probably could have picked a better song for your style, and it would really help if you got the lyrics right.

Haha I'm not technically a fan of Trivium. I just wanted to play about with the song.
nice dude..i could jam to that..
better then most local bands if ya ask me

but i think your belting. to be able to hit those high notes
really pushing i imagine..its extremly loud lol

you just need to work on technique...
research that shit on youtube..its easy to find..
speech level singing helped me alot of open my head voice

i dont see nothing wrong with the style..it matched as far as i think

i think your voice matchs stone temple pilots pretty good

great rock voice tho reminded me a stp and metallica a little...
Quote by metalmetalhead
nice dude..i could jam to that..
better then most local bands if ya ask me

but i think your belting. to be able to hit those high notes
really pushing i imagine..its extremly loud lol

you just need to work on technique...
research that shit on youtube..its easy to find..
speech level singing helped me alot of open my head voice

i dont see nothing wrong with the style..it matched as far as i think

i think your voice matchs stone temple pilots pretty good

great rock voice tho reminded me a stp and metallica a little...

Thanks dude

That's the crazy thing...I'm not pushing at all! At least, not that I'm aware of. I don't feel tense and it takes me no effort at all to hit those notes.

I understand what you mean though, it might "sound" like I'm pushing. The problem is, when I sing I can't hear or feel tension, only when I record it and play back
well remember if your not going to take vocal lessons you must be your own teacher..

you MUST be honest with your self. theres a difference in how you want to see things and how things really are..im not saying your wrong..im just saying examine your voice..try different things. most important..research will help you a great deal...

you dont want to lie to yourself...
Quote by metalmetalhead

you dont want to lie to yourself...

Totally agree with you there, hence why I started the thread. I kinda realised that maybe there was something I wasn't hearing on my own

Physically, I'm not "pushing" any air out. I'm thinking maybe there's some tension in there that I've overlooked, but it's really taking me no effort at all. I don't have to "reach" up to the high notes, from what I can tell (although there is actually one note in the song that I can't it- hence I changed some of the vocal melody in one section).

I can literally sing for hours (as I do with my band) and it doesn't even come close to hurting/sounding "tired" if anything it gets easier and easier to sing the more I do it.

...but- as you said- I don't want to lie to myself; I don't think my voice is perfect (far from it!). I think I might have just reached a limit of what I can teach myself without outside help.

Vocal lessons aren't completely out of the question, and if thats what's needed then I accept that (I actually know a friend, or at least a friend of a friend, who teaches).
well thats cool..i dont claim to be a pro or anything..iv never had vocal lessons (cuz i cant aford it) just advice and research..you can learn anything you put your mind too

oh your myspace..why didnt you record the vocals on a different track then the rest of the music? sure would sound better..

i use audacity,..but i heard reaper was a good program to use as well..if your using a mixer to your computer
No, I really appreciate the advice/opinion

It does kinda sound like theres maybe tension...I'm just stumped because I'm not pushing or straining as far as I can tell

Yeh those recording on the myspace are very rough. It was literally just a mic in the middle of the room. We do have a recording of a gig (video) somewhere that has better audio (I'll try and sort that out).

You're right, a separate track would have been better, but the mixer we were going to use broke on the day!
Lol'd at what your neighbour said it sounds so devastating.

just wait till hes mowing the lawn and say shut the **** up your mowing is shit haha
Quote by jhj
Lol'd at what your neighbour said it sounds so devastating.

just wait till hes mowing the lawn and say shut the **** up your mowing is shit haha

No need, he works as a builder- i.e. he's always outside hammering early in the morning.

I'll get him tomorrow