I've made my mind up that I want one of these things, but they come in all sorts of different flavors.
Someone told me that the new ones are crap and that I should only by an older make, is it true?
There are also some "mods" at robertkeely.com, should I steer clear of these? Or would they sound better?

Someone help me out, I don't want to regret my purchase.

Btw, the amp I'm using is a marshall MG4 half stack, if that matters.
Wrong subforum, but Ill help you out. Keeley modded Screamers are awesome, just read all the reviews on them. However, all overdrives (including Tubescreamers) are meant to drive the front end of tube amps. Using a tubescreamer in front of your MG isnt going to sound very good, because its an MG. And its solid state.

But if you feel like you must purchase a Tubescreamer (although it would be somewhat of a waste of money, theoretically speaking), heres some info.

TS808s, TS9s, and TS10s all have extremely similar circuits using basically the same op-amps to give them their flavor, and therefore theres not really a huge difference between their individual sounds. Yes, older ones are of better build quality and may sound just a tad "better", but not enough to constitute spending several hundred dollars more on them, in my opinion.

Also check out the Maxon OD808 and OD9. Maxon is the company that used to make the Tubescreamers back in the day, the ones that are now considered vintage and valuable.
Last edited by RHCPFitz at Jun 26, 2010,
Actually I'd skip out on Ibanez all together. Maxon made the original electronics for the tubescreamer (the ones that don't sound like crap). Maxon still makes the good sounding pedals, and their pedals come with true bypass, unlike the Ibanez pedals.
Tubescreamers really don't do much with SS amps, they are really meant to be a "clean boost" for the preamp tubes to get a little bit of extra grit. Because a SS amp doesn't have preamp tubes, it really won't give you anything except for volume. That is unless you turn the "gain" knob, which is not all that great sounding on a tubescreamer.

edit: I have a TS-10 tubescreamer, which has the good souding OP-AMP, but it is the cheapest casing one, look for one of those if you're set on getting a tubescreamer.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
I have a Ibanez Tubescreamer, but I recently played (live) with a Maxon tubescreamer, and it was pretty damn amazing. Gonna sell my ibanez ts to get a maxon.
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
Yeah, Maxon pedals are good but they are pretty expensive. If you want a good sounding, versatile Tubescreamer, get the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

I'd recommend a Maxon as well. When I bought my Mesa, the guy had a Maxon OD-808 in front of it, and it sounds way better than any newer Ibanez TS. I'm actually going to pick up a Maxon for myself in about an hour, and you should too.
Maxon
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by jeffc313
Tubescreamers really don't do much with SS amps, they are really meant to be a "clean boost" for the preamp tubes to get a little bit of extra grit. Because a SS amp doesn't have preamp tubes, it really won't give you anything except for volume. That is unless you turn the "gain" knob, which is not all that great sounding on a tubescreamer.

edit: I have a TS-10 tubescreamer, which has the good souding OP-AMP, but it is the cheapest casing one, look for one of those if you're set on getting a tubescreamer.

Ya I have an Ibanez STL, which came like a year before the TS10 and looks the same. Sounds great on my VTM, but isn't very highgain and wouldn't do anything for an SS amp.

BTW, True-bypass isn't always better.
i don't agree that tube screamers are supposed to be in front of tube amps.

they come with their own clipping circuits and gain below unity for a reason.
Figure out what version TS you like best, then build your own. Cheaper and much more satisfying than just buying one off a shelf.
They're great for driving the front end of your tube amp, but it won't do much for a solid state MG. Mine's great for overdriving the clean channel of my Blackstar and getting a thicker tone (think white summer by Zeppelin). Only downside is that it doesn't have a true bypass, so it does suck some tone when it's not in use. Go with a Maxon if you have the cash.
Putting a Maxon in front of a MG4 seems like a waste of time to me...the freain' overdrive would cost more than the amp!

TS, you should consider upgrading your amp first, before worrying about pedals.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by al112987
i don't agree that tube screamers are supposed to be in front of tube amps.

they come with their own clipping circuits and gain below unity for a reason.

+1 most of the overdrive pedals have their own clipping circuit and are designed to be used in front of a clean amp, regardless of it being a tube or an SS amp.

The effect that's designed to help driving the amp itself into distortion is called boost or clean boost.
Check out visual sound route 808. great tube screamer, and it survives getting ran over by a car. I've seen it happen.
Ah, okay. Thanks for all the feedback guys! There's some good stuff here.
Seems like I should really try it out and explore my options before committing to buy.
The only difference between the TS7, TS9 and TS808 is about 5 dollars worth of components. The TS7 is basically a TS9 with cheaper components, and a few small changes, and the TS808 is 2 resistors and an Op-amp away from the TS9. The Maxon Tubescreamers are the same as the Ibanez ones too, Maxon used to make them for Ibanez, and they're still practically exactly the same.
Oh, and the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive is just a Tubescreamer clone with a Blend knob that mixes in the normal guitar signal and effected signal together.