Firstly, this isn't a diet thread. If you want that go to the official nutrition and exercise thread.

I live with roommates, and we all share a fridge. I don't have a ton of money to throw around, especially since I'm currently trying to save. What I normally do about food is just go out and get whatever, usually with friends or roommates. It's expensive and unhealthy. So I'm going to compile a grocery list of foods that are middle of the road; not unhealthy, not dirt cheap, and not horrible tasting.

So far, I've got salami sandwiches (loaf from the deli, Genoa salami, mayonnaise), cans of chili, apples, cereal, and eggs. I want to do some pasta stuff but the only thing is that takes preparation/cleaning and I'm an extremely busy person. But what are some tasty pasta dishes that are relatively easy?

What's the Pit's grocery list look like? This mostly applies to bachelors like me. What are some really good ideas for food that are relatively healthy (compared to fast food and ramen)?

Also,

Also, TL;DR What does the Pit buy from the grocery store to eat?
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jun 26, 2010,
My grocery list:

Bacon
Tits
Cheeseburgers
Pussy
Milk
Momma's milk
Orange Juice
Anal
Chocolate
Tits
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Poptarts and Mountain dew

The foodstuffs of champions
██░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓██
▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▓█████▒██▓▓
█▓▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▓██▒▒▒██▓▓
██▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓▒▓▒██
▓█▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓░▒▒▓▓██
▓▓▓▒██▓▓▓▓▒▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▓▓▓
i like making grilled gruyere cheese sandwhiches with salami and ham
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by padgea7x
My grocery list:

Bacon
Tits
Cheeseburgers
Pussy
Milk
Momma's milk
Orange Juice
Anal
Chocolate
Tits

what aisle is tits, anal, pussy, and bacon on? ohh and can i get mommas milk from the tits or do i have to buy it separately.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
TS, more veggies for you.

And this looks promising:
http://monkeybiz.stanford.edu/~jim/gscb/main/fivequick.html

Quote by CoreysMonster
goddammit, why can I relate to EVERY SINGLE one of those pictures?

+1

Quote by Skagasm
what aisle is tits, anal, pussy, and bacon on? ohh and can i get mommas milk from the tits or do i have to buy it separately.

Dunno, but anal always comes to me in a dark alley with the help of some chloroform. Always surprises me from behind.
A box of Kraft Mac 'n Cheese costs less than a dollar, and I could eat that stuff all day.
Bayside - Duality
Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth
Horse the Band - The Mechanical Hand
Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
Common - Be
Chicken (baked, broached and cut into salad), salads in general, fish (you can get it frozen and bake it in the oven for relatively cheap, although eating healthy is never going to be cheap), lots of fruit, you can do a nice stir fry in a wok at home that's not americanized asian - chicken or beef, broccoli, carrots, onions, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots if you can find some, mushrooms, and some soy sauce or teryaki - throw some brown or jasmine rice in there. Turkey lunch meat, cheese, wheat bread - sandwiches. In the morning for breakfast throw some bananas, strawberries, milk, and ice into a blender and mix it up.

Mainly the best advice is to shop around the outside of the grocery store. The crap is generally all around the middle of it.

And tons - and I mean tons - of water.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Top left is taken from a Dylan Moran routine
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 26, 2010,
Oh - and salami - while delicious - is awful for you.

I forgot the pasta dishes part - there are tons of thing you can do with pasta that aren't unhealthy. Normal spaghetti is a good one - noodles, pasta sauce, chop up some tomatoes, mushrooms, and season it a bit, and you're fine. There's nothing inherently bad for you there unless you're one of those psycho diet nazis that hates carbs, which are necessary to be healthy.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by TheQuailman
TS, more veggies for you.

And this looks promising:
http://monkeybiz.stanford.edu/~jim/gscb/main/fivequick.html

+1

Dunno, but anal always comes to me in a dark alley with the help of some chloroform. Always surprises me from behind.

Nice link, thank you. The Pasta Aglio e Olio with clams sounds amazing and actually doable.
We're only strays.
My groceries are normally shitloads of salad type vegetables, bread, ham, and other stuff for sandwiches. I'm lazy and only really make salads and sandwiches.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by strat0blaster
Oh - and salami - while delicious - is awful for you.

I forgot the pasta dishes part - there are tons of thing you can do with pasta that aren't unhealthy. Normal spaghetti is a good one - noodles, pasta sauce, chop up some tomatoes, mushrooms, and season it a bit, and you're fine. There's nothing inherently bad for you there unless you're one of those psycho diet nazis that hates carbs, which are necessary to be healthy.

Salami is really that bad for you? I'd imagine it's mostly fat and sodium, but it can't have as much as a fast food burger, right?

And I've done a carb cycle diet. I felt good - albeit low on energy - and lost 20 pounds in a little over a month. I've tried going back on it but it's harder the second time around for some reason. Plus I've realized that dieting like that is a waste of time over the long term. I've decided to eat foods that are mostly healthy (really I should say that aren't particularly unhealthy) and live a more active lifestyle. I've come to really enjoy basketball and jogging.

I'm definitely going to get some pasta, there's a lot of good sounding recipes already.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Salami is really that bad for you? I'd imagine it's mostly fat and sodium, but it can't have as much as a fast food burger, right?

And I've done a carb cycle diet. I felt good - albeit low on energy - and lost 20 pounds in a little over a month. I've tried going back on it but it's harder the second time around for some reason. Plus I've realized that dieting like that is a waste of time over the long term. I've decided to eat foods that are mostly healthy (really I should say that aren't particularly unhealthy) and live a more active lifestyle. I've come to really enjoy basketball and jogging.

I'm definitely going to get some pasta, there's a lot of good sounding recipes already.

Well there's nothing wrong with eating junk food occasionally - it's all about moderation. The key is being, like you said, active - see: not lazy

I lost 90 lbs in 9 months eating pizza once during the week and one fast food over the weekend, and continued to lose an additional... say... 30 lbs doing the same type of thing, so anyone who says you HAVE to diet hardcore is full of it. Losing weight (not that it's what you're after) is all about hard work, somewhat like just being healthy is.

And no, salami isn't as bad as fast food, but it's still not good for you Like I said - moderation. A couple salami sandwiches or the like aren't going to kill you.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Well there's nothing wrong with eating junk food occasionally - it's all about moderation. The key is being, like you said, active - see: not lazy

I lost 90 lbs in 9 months eating pizza once during the week and one fast food over the weekend, and continued to lose an additional... say... 30 lbs doing the same type of thing, so anyone who says you HAVE to diet hardcore is full of it. Losing weight (not that it's what you're after) is all about hard work, somewhat like just being healthy is.

And no, salami isn't as bad as fast food, but it's still not good for you Like I said - moderation. A couple salami sandwiches or the like aren't going to kill you.

Everything in this post is correct. All things in moderation. Another thing: don't eat the same thing for too long. Your body needs different nutrients to function properly, and you can't get all your nutrients from one food.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
Rice
Veggies I don't know the english name of
Eggs
Milk
Ice cream
Pork chops/belly
Beef whatever
Chicken breasts
Peanuts
Bananas
Mangoes if they're in season
Pads
Cinnamon Bread
Hummus
A box of Sprite in can
And flowers.

EDIT
I get my junk food from eating my friends' leftovers.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Last edited by kikaykitko at Jun 26, 2010,
I buy my groceries online from tescos, easier to see what's cheapest and the delivery is cheaper than the bus fair to Tescos.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
bread
cheese
ham
miracle whip
hot pockets
pepsi
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Peanut Butter
Wheat bread
Frozen Fish fillets (usually tilapia)
salsa
wheat tortillas
soy milk
shredded wheat cereal
tons of fresh fruit
tons of frozen vegetables

random stuff like pasta or beans and string cheese or sriracha and sour cream for the tacos or an assortment of nuts and yogurts, stuff for smoothies

I've figured out how to shop, so I spend about $30-40 and that lasts me about a week and a half

Sometimes I'll spend more if blueberries are on sale, but they're expensive and so is stuff like shredded cheese and guacamole, but when I find a deal, I'm sold

I bought 5 things of bluberries the past two weeks, 3 for $6 and 2 for $5! it was crazy and I found some almonds that were originally $4.99 but marked down to 1.87
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Last edited by TDKshorty at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by strat0blaster

Salami is terrible for you, it's probably the worst sandwich meat you can eat, besides bologna and it can be worse than most fast food, there's actually alot of good fast food out there for you, you just have to know what to pick up. I don't touch the stuff though, unless you consider Subway fast food, though it's more of a deli.

I agree with everything you say, about moderation but I think people should know, sometimes you do have to diet "hardcore", because if you have 120 pounds to lose, it's going to come off way faster when there's a subtle change in your diet like higher protein or less simple carbs or cutting out all sodas or junk food, but for those of us who want to lose that last 10 or gain 20 pounds of muscle it comes down to diet. A healthy diet makes or breaks you when it comes down to it.

But you're right... eating junk food in moderation, or like once every weekend, having that cheat day sets you up so that you won't give in and binge on junkfood
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Beer
Weekday beer
Weekend beer
Dinner beer
Breakfast beer
Beer beer
emergency beer
Guest Beer
Pringles
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I honestly haven't cooked in awhile, been ordering out all the time.

If I'm going to the grocery store, I rarely make a list. I usually pick up

bacon
eggs
peanut butter
maybe some steaks or ribs if I think I'm gonna grill
chicken
random veggies
Tea, and lots of it
pineapple
whatever spices
and maybe some apple juice.

Hell, a lot of the food in my fridge I don't even know how it got there.
Quote by diofan88
Beer
Weekday beer
Weekend beer
Dinner beer
Breakfast beer
Beer beer
emergency beer
Guest Beer

This man speaks truth. You can easily camp for a weekend with 60 beers, a pack of hotdogs, ketchup you stole from a McDonalds, and a coat hanger. You won't ever be hungry.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by TDKshorty
Peanut Butter
Wheat bread
Frozen Fish fillets (usually tilapia)
salsa
wheat tortillas
soy milk
shredded wheat cereal
tons of fresh fruit
tons of frozen vegetables

random stuff like pasta or beans and string cheese or sriracha and sour cream for the tacos or an assortment of nuts and yogurts, stuff for smoothies

I've figured out how to shop, so I spend about $30-40 and that lasts me about a week and a half

Sometimes I'll spend more if blueberries are on sale, but they're expensive and so is stuff like shredded cheese and guacamole, but when I find a deal, I'm sold

I bought 5 things of bluberries the past two weeks, 3 for $6 and 2 for $5! it was crazy and I found some almonds that were originally $4.99 but marked down to 1.87

That's what I call a grocery list.

Make sure you're getting some good, healthy bread. The white stuff is AWFUL for you, and while it may be cheap, the good wheat stuff can last longer and the health benefits are infinitely better.

Coupons are your friend. Just think up pretty much any name brand that you usually buy and go to their website, and you can probably find a coupon.

Pasta is super cheap and easy, although I do relate on the tons of dishes and whatnot thing. Maybe try making the sauce on a weekend or a day that you're not busy and freezing it, that way when it comes time to making it, you can just mix it in with the noodles.

Meat is cheapest if you buy it in large packages and then break it up into smaller bags when you get home.
There have been some great suggestions in here. Never overlook the produce section. It's almost all healthy, and generally cheap. Banana chips = best snack ever.

I work at a grocery store, so if you need some help with brand quality vs price, I'm your guy.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
There have been some great suggestions in here. Never overlook the produce section. It's almost all healthy, and generally cheap. Banana chips = best snack ever.

I work at a grocery store, so if you need some help with brand quality vs price, I'm your guy.

Yeah you really can't go wrong buying anything from produce. It's just not satisfying, though. Anyone know any good ways to prepare veggies?
We're only strays.
If you make homemade pasta and freeze it, it'll last pretty long. It only takes a minute or so to cook it once the water is boiled, too.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Quote by RipeFlesh
If you make homemade pasta and freeze it, it'll last pretty long. It only takes a minute or so to cook it once the water is boiled, too.

Like make the actual pasta from scratch?!
We're only strays.