I'm sure that I've made other threads about this, but I couldn't find them to bump them.

I love my MIM P-Bass, but I've been craving something a little better for a while now. I want a five stringer that can get a nice thick, meaty tone, like Steffan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band) but also be able to get bright and gristly enough to play stuff like RHCP, preferrably active. I also LOVE Two-Tone Tommy's sound from My Morning Jacket.

So far the list is as follows (in no particular order):

Sterling by MM Ray35
MTD Kingston Artist 5
Schecter Stiletto series
Aria SB-404/5
Ibanez SR755

My budget is up to about $800. I think the Kingston is #1 on my list so far, but I'd really like to know more about the Aria because it looks awesome, but I've never heard of it. Also, I want to know more about the quality of the Schecters since they're so cheap. And what makes the Custom, Elite, and Studio different.

Thanks guys,
Luke

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
You might also want to check out a Warwick Rockbass Streamer LX .

I've been wary of the Rockbass series. Yes, my ideal bass is a Warwick, but it's because only a Warwick can sound like a Warwick.

I know I can get a used Corvette for the money that I have, but I don't really want to buy used. I don't really know why.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Personally I buy most of my gear used, since new prices are ridiculous most of the time. If you weary about people having mistreated the gear you're buying, I find that is usually not the case. People who buy nice gear usually take care of it, but of course always try before you buy. I'd suggest you get the Corvette if you can.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Have you tried all of your options yet? I strongly suggest you do. The Kingston, Ibanez, and Schecter in particular. I've never been "wow-ed" by an MTD Kingston, always thought they were average basses with nice woods. The Ibanez is fantastic, but the thin neck and tight string spacing don't agree with everyone. And as for the Schecter, really well put together basses, but they're a love it or hate it kind of thing. They just don't feel right to some people.

As for the difference between Schecters: The Studio and Elite are neck-thru, the Studio with a bubinga top and the Elite with a figured maple top. The Custom is like the Elite, but a bolt on version. The Elite has neck binding, and different inlays then the other two. The Elite and Custom have a 2 band eq, while the Studio has a 3 band eq.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Fender MIM Deluxe Active J-Bass. I was actually able to zero in on Stefan's Crush sound from their Live album today. If you're wanting range, you are definitely going to want an active. Fender's are great basses, very versatile, and very durable. I love mine, and I'm able to do everything from Skynyrd to Metallica.
Maybe try out a lakland skyline 55-01. Or maybe a G&L tribute L2500.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Last edited by The1bassist06 at Jun 26, 2010,
Of the basses you've listed, I'd go with the Sterling Ray35. You might also want to look at the Yamaha TRB 1005. I like mine very much, and it is a lot of bass for the money.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm obviously going to try all of these at some point, but no, I have not been able to do so yet.

So does anyone have any input on the Aria?

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by The1bassist06
Or maybe a G&L tribute L2500.

I agree. Great bass, incredibly versatile, and not too terribly priced. I love mine to death.
I think I might be set on an Ibanez SR. They just sound so good and it's hard to play some of those tricky, quick Steffan Lessard lines on my P-bass, so maybe the thinner neck would be better for me.

However, does anyone have a reason why I shouldn't buy an SR505 over an SR705/755 for $200 cheaper? I mean, of course besides the fact that they look miles sexier.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Quick question reagarding pickups and electronics: How do passive pickups and an active preamp compare to active pickups and active electronics as far as output and tone go? For instance, the Ibanez SR500s, SR600s, and SR700s have passive Bartolini Mk1 humbuckers with an active Bartolini preamp. The Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 has active VFL pickups and an active preamp (not sure which kind).

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
I would suggest Ibanez, or maybe look at an ESP?

I have an ESP, and it's a wonderful.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
The Aria is a pretty neat bass - multi-laminate neck; neck through the body; strings through the body, etc. Aria basses are, unfortunately, thoroughly overshadowed by their SB-1000 bass that was very popular in the 1980s and was used by Cliff Burton of Metallica (I think they now have a Cliff Burton model reissue SB-1000 bass). When people think of Aria basses, that is what they think of.

If you like the feel and sound of the Aria, then by all means go for it. It looks like a lot of bass for the money.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley