Hello

I recently got a Boss SD1 and when I plug it into my JCM900 (4100) and turn the pedal on it's like it squeals like crazy
I have tried plugging it to "Send" and "return" on the back and plugging it into the "input" on the front.

It works fine with my old amp(solid state Randall something)

Any tips on how to get rid of that annoying squeal?

P.s. I apologize if this issue have been posted before, but I couldn't find anything about it.
OD pedals should usually go in front of the preamp to boost the mids, though I have no idea why it would squeal... Could you record the squeal? Does the Marshall amp do this with any other pedal? Also what settings do you have on it (the pedal)? Have you tried from putting everything at 0 to everything at max?
Last edited by Ascendant at Jun 26, 2010,
I have tried a Boss DS2. Same thing. Also when plugging it to the front and the back.
Yes I have tried all the different settings.
But if I don't turn the Level all the way and tone at least half way, it does not boost my sound, just adding a more darker sound.

I could maybe try to record it, although the only recording equipment I have is the mic in headset or my laptop
Try moving farther away from the amp; it could be feedback. Try lowering the volume/gain on your amp as well.

Since it works on your other amp, it probably isn't happening because of your cables, but it can't hurt to check them all individually.
It's not a boost pedal, thus it wasn't made to boost your amp with +20db or anything. Sure it can do that but the purpose of OD pedals afaik is to give you a better and more mid rich tone into the preamp. Also feedback like above poster mentioned. And with an od pedal I don't think you'll ever need more than 2 o'clock gain, I usually have my hi-gain amps at 12 o'clock gain when running a ts infront.
Thanks. I'll try that out.
I asked both my guitar teacher and the guy at the store for a boost pedal just for the solo's and they both said this, or a TS. So that's why I bought it.
I called the local guitar shop and they said that it could be a tube in my preamp that was getting old or had been damaged somehow.
Quote by Ascendant
It's not a boost pedal, thus it wasn't made to boost your amp with +20db or anything. Sure it can do that but the purpose of OD pedals afaik is to give you a better and more mid rich tone into the preamp. Also feedback like above poster mentioned. And with an od pedal I don't think you'll ever need more than 2 o'clock gain, I usually have my hi-gain amps at 12 o'clock gain when running a ts infront.

No this is not what ODs are made for, they are made to create overdrive, not to boost the mids, TS style overdrives do boost the mids, but most good overdrive pedals are transparent, that means, they don't add mids.
I used an SD-1 for years with my Marshall 2203 and got tons of feedback when I wasn't playing. I loved it but if you didn't want it, you have to turn the pedal off. It's how the pedal is. I read a while ago that Zakk Wylde does the same thing (at least when he used one.) He turns it off or it squeals like crazy.
Quote by Sguit

No this is not what ODs are made for, they are made to create overdrive, not to boost the mids, TS style overdrives do boost the mids, but most good overdrive pedals are transparent, that means, they don't add mids.

This this this this this this this this this a hundred times this.

OD pedals push the preamp tubes, tighten up gain and bass, and make an amp sound better (TUBE amps).

They don't boost volume, unless you're using them on a clean channel. But if you're cranking a clean channel, it's not going to add any volume. Just more gain.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--