Alright, music tone I'm going for is something like Vampire Weekend, Local Natives, Pinback, Phoenix, Born Ruffians. Diverse indie-pop-folkish-rock basically.

I'm putting 2 10" Celestion G10C30 speakers inside this vintage cabinet:

I'm running a Vox Ac4tv 4 watt tube amp into it. I need volume. I was thinking about doing open back since that would fill the room more and at least appear louder. I'm going to be mic-ing it if it's still not enough headroom. I honestly have no clue though. Can anyone tell me how closed back would sound for this particular setup for this music? Or just what I should/could do?
Last edited by pint07 at Jun 26, 2010,
Open-back cabs fill the room more, whereas a closed-back cab project the sound through the front of the cabinet.

For larger venues, open-back cab would be better for the sound projection.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
The difference in perceived volume isn't that big in my experience. Your low-end will sound more stable and pronounced, but that's hardly a factor for the music you play.

How loud is loud in your case? If you want a clean sound at band volumes you'll need to mic the amp, at gigs you'll need it mic'd no matter what.
Quote by TheQuailman
The difference in perceived volume isn't that big in my experience. Your low-end will sound more stable and pronounced, but that's hardly a factor for the music you play.

How loud is loud in your case? If you want a clean sound at band volumes you'll need to mic the amp, at gigs you'll need it mic'd no matter what.

It's not that loud at all. I can't get over the drummer with just my amp, so I'm currently just micing my 4 watt Vox Ac4tv at practices. I could play a gig with it, it sounds fine. I just want a bit more volume than I have with the combo alone. If I could get by with not mic-ing it at practices that'd be great. Micing the amp isn't really a problem. I just would like more volume without mic-ing.

I'm also thinking these speakers will give me a better tone than the stock in the Vox.
You can expect the new speakers to be more efficient than the stock one, so there'll probably be an increase in volume. If it's still not enough then you can't do much except replacing the amp.
Quote by TheQuailman
You can expect the new speakers to be more efficient than the stock one, so there'll probably be an increase in volume. If it's still not enough then you can't do much except replacing the amp.

Nah it's alright if it's still not enough. I just want a bit more. It's not a big deal if I still have to mic it, at all. I love the amp haha.

For this kind of music though, do you think closed back or open back would sound better tone-wise?
Last edited by pint07 at Jun 26, 2010,