Okay so this idea started when I was installing new pickups in my guitar and I decided to wire them using 1 volume and 1 tone control instead of the 2 of each that was previously wired, So this leaves me with either:
A: 2 Useless pots
B: Space to (perhaps) install a solo boost pedal into my guitar?

QUESTIONS:
Okay, so before I begin to get too excited over this,

1. Will it fit? I was thinking of an LPB1 and the pcp is only 3/4"X2" and then I would need room to mount a battery, but if I'm able to take out one of the tone pots (I need to put a switch in there) I think it will fit..

2. Am I biting off more than I can chew? I've never made a pedal before, I can solder fairly well though.. Is it as simple as soldering the parts where the schematics say? the only thing I don't quite understand yet is the switch.

3. Can I just use the volume pot thats already in my guitar for the pedal?... If not no big deal as I think the volume pot has a loose terminal (is that what their called?) anyway.

What do you guys think? I'm mainly looking for something to keep me out of trouble while I'm waiting for parts (and funds) for my superstrat build.

Thanks guys.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Jun 26, 2010,
buy this: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/PASFX/Seymour-Duncan-Pickup-Booster-Circuit.html

more suited for what you want, rather than retrofitting an LBP1.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
If this doesnt work out I will definitely look into something like that, thanks. But I had rather hoped to occupy myself for longer than just installing it. Not to mention it would cost me less than half of that to buy all the parts. :/
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
that is true. i'm the same way, a tinkerer. i would consider looking at the LBP1 then, switching out the on/off for a push/pull pot, and hooking it up to the guitar. the battery may be a problem space wise tho. I wouldnt use the pots in your guitar (unless they are already push pull).

are you building from scratch or just retrofitting an LBP1?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I would be building from scratch sry should have mentioned it in the OP.

www.tonepad.com sells a ready-to-solder PCP for the LPB1 with a schematic and list of parts etc. But about the push-pull pot, wouldn't I be able to simply use the volume pot i have and install an on/off switch like that SD pickup booster has? Or is a 500k pot too much resistance for the LPB1? At the moment, I'm left with a tone knob that does nothing so I can put the on/off switch in there.

I don't think fitting the battery should be too much of a problem, I would have had to do the same thing with the SD pickup booster as it requires a battery too.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
yeah, i dont see the need for a push-pull pot. replace one of the pots in the guitar with a toggle switch or something. so you end up with:
volume knob
tone knob
boost knob
boost switch

as for using the same pot that was in the guitar, i mean you could, but it wont be exactly the same. the pots in your guitar have a higher resistance (500k) and may not have the same taper (audio). just opened up my lp style guitar, and the volume pots are audio taper and the tone linear. assuming yours are similar, you could just use the volume pot.

as for fitting, that depends on your guitar, and you are really the only who can tell.
Yea that was the plan for the knobs anyway. Yea I think I'll just get a new pot, its not like their expensive and if I somehow can't figure out how to fit it all in there.. I'll just build a casing and I'll have a new boost pedal. Hah.

Does anyone know what resistance of a pot I should use? 25k seems to be a good choice.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by jof1029
im going to go with 100k, because thats whats on the schematic

Doh! Probably a good idea. ha