Hi, so i got a question,

If i have a scale, lets say: an E pentatonic and if i was told to play that scale in a A minor key.
Does that mean that i have to find and play E pentatonic notes in a boxed version of a A minor scale?

EDIT:

Ok i missheard something in a video, but i got a few more questions:

So jamming in a key, is basicly playing a scale in some sorta box, right?
With that said any scale can have one or more boxes all over the neck, right?
When making a box, is there any patern to follow ? Eg: 2 notes, 3 notes a string?
When playing a scale i ussualy end up playing it on all strings( when i play it there's atleast a note on a string), but a major/minor scale only has like what ? 7-8 notes?
And when playing 2-3 notes a string i would end up short of notes somewhere around the G string, so basicly how do you "continue the scale till the high E" - reverse the scale and glue two tails,endings together?
Last edited by DocArunas at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by DocArunas
Hi, so i got a question,

If i have a scale, lets say: an E pentatonic and if i was told to play that scale in a A minor key.
Does that mean that i have to find and play E pentatonic notes in a boxed version of a A minor scale?

You can't play E pentatonic (minor?) iin "the key of A minor".

E minor pentatonic is, by definition, in the key of E minor.

You can play A minor pentatonic in the key of A minor.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok i missheard something in a video, but i got a few more questions:

With that said any scale can have one or more boxes all over the neck, right?
When making a box, is there any patern to follow ? Eg: 2 notes, 3 notes a string?
When playing a scale i ussualy end up playing it on all strings( when i play it there's atleast a note on a string), but a major/minor scale only has like what ? 7-8 notes?
And when playing 2-3 notes a string i would end up short of notes somewhere around the G string, so basicly how do you "continue the scale till the high E" - reverse the scale and glue two tails,endings together?
Scales are made up of notes, not boxes.

A minor consists of the notes A-B-C-D-E-F-G, if you play them anywhere on the neck and resolve to some form of A minor, you are playing in A minor.
Yes,

Quote by MapOfYourHead
Scales are made up of notes, not boxes.

A minor consists of the notes A-B-C-D-E-F-G, if you play them anywhere on the neck and resolve to some form of A minor, you are playing in A minor.

I believe i understood that

Quote by DocArunas
but a major/minor scale only has like what ? 7-8 notes?
Quote by steven seagull
You can't play E pentatonic (minor?) iin "the key of A minor".

E minor pentatonic is, by definition, in the key of E minor.

You can play A minor pentatonic in the key of A minor.

You could play the NOTES of an E minor pentatonic (E, G, A, B, D) in the key of A minor (A, B, C, D, E, F, G), but like you said, if you're in the key of A minor then you'd be playing A minor. The two just share a lot of notes.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by DocArunas

ideally, no, but that depends on the skill and the fluency of the player. try not to play only in boxes - it's very, very limiting. MapOfYourHead has the right idea.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I need someone to answer there:

(Talking about a boxed patern) When playing a scale i ussualy end up playing it on all strings( when i play it there's atleast a note on a string), but a major/minor scale only has like what ? 7-8 notes?
Major and minor scales actually have more notes than pentatonic scales.

If you want to continue playing through the scale on all the strings, just keep cycling through the sequence of notes in the scale, you don't have to reverse anything.

For example if you're playing A minor, which goes A B C D E F G, when you reach the last note G, just play the next note A, then B etc.
Quote by DocArunas
I need someone to answer there:

(Talking about a boxed patern) When playing a scale i ussualy end up playing it on all strings( when i play it there's atleast a note on a string), but a major/minor scale only has like what ? 7-8 notes?

You don't "make boxes"

You choose the sound you want, the notes you want to play - then you find them on your guitar. Scale patterns, boxes etc...they're just showing you all the places those notes appear. You don't make them because they're already there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com