I'm having trouble breaking out from easy/intermediate solos into the hard stuff. I can play comfortably numb, stairway, have a little trouble with smoke on the water solo.
Mostly I've focussed on learning theory, improvising, etc. Help ug.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Get the Guitar Grimoire scales and modes book and practice with a metronome. also there is a book called a notated study it's orange. I also recomend getting a book called speed mechanics for lead guitar. i don't know what you're trying to learn but it will teach you some good mechanics for bolth hands as well as some ideas for licks. the grimoire just has about every scale you can think of. when i wanted to learn to play leads, i stopped playing other peoples stuff and worked on my own and i got alot better.
I've been doing my own thing for a long time. I'm now getting saturated that way. Not coming up with new stuff really. It's just that every time I've bothered to learn a solo, it opens up a new way of doing things. I recently did the Mother solo (floyd) and though its fairly simple, a couple of the bends gilmour does are mind boggling!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Try some Mountain its astounding how much Leslie West got out of so few notes learning some of his stuff will help your phrasing and vibrato, Try Chickenfoot stuff it would help if you have a floyd rose guitar but its not essential.
SMILE!
Try "as the years go passing by" by Albert King
Barf

Fender 70's reissue strat
Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2