yes. and you would do it exactly like you said. first two in parallel, and then that in series with the other. it might sound kinda funky since 8 ohm and 16 ohm speakers dont sound exactly the same, even of the same type of speaker.
You can but the one on it's own will be receiving twice the power of the other parallel two. If you haven't bought the 8 ohm one yet I wouldn't if you have a 4 ohm option on the amp. Three 16's in parallel will give you 5.3 ohms. If you have a 4 ohm setting on the amp I'd use that into them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You can but the one on it's own will be receiving twice the power of the other parallel two. If you haven't bought the 8 ohm one yet I wouldn't if you have a 4 ohm option on the amp. Three 16's in parallel will give you 5.3 ohms. If you have a 4 ohm setting on the amp I'd use that into them.

Well I only have a 16 ohm option on my amp unfortunately. Otherwise I would just use the two speakers I have in parallel for an 8 ohm load.

So this will work?
You can't run an amp set to 16 into an 8 ohm load. You can work into a higher impedance speaker safely (you just lose power) but NOT into a lower impedance load.
What you proposed will work but it is sub-optimal. You will have twice the power going to the 8 ohm one as each of the other two. It won't blend very well, the 8 ohm one will dominate and wear out faster. You would have to fluke a proportionally lower efficiency, but chances are that it would just sound crap. Better to buy two 16 ohm speakers instead and run it all series/parallel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You can't run an amp set to 16 into an 8 ohm load. You can work into a higher impedance speaker safely (you just lose power) but NOT into a lower impedance load.
What you proposed will work but it is sub-optimal. You will have twice the power going to the 8 ohm one as each of the other two. It won't blend very well, the 8 ohm one will dominate and wear out faster. You would have to fluke a proportionally lower efficiency, but chances are that it would just sound crap. Better to buy two 16 ohm speakers instead and run it all series/parallel.

So you could run an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm speaker then, right?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
So you could run an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm speaker then, right?

Yes. Less power but it won't blow anything up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Coolio.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.