my uncle has one. should i convince him to sell it to me? what would be a decent price? i think all the tubes are original, but the speakers are bright orange with quick-connectors (screwd, not solder) are those speakers original? and another thing... it powers on an the power tubes glow but no sound comes out... so, a good price for it, and is it worth it? i mean, its at least 30 years old...

SO:
price
problem diagnosis
original speakers?

thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling essay

IronMaiden76
Hey IronMaiden76-

um...not sure...so...maybe $500 - $1000

bump

so tubes light up but no sound?

is speaker plugged in...i know i know

get a bias probe $20 bucks

spray some contact cleaner in thar.

get some preamp tubes $20 bucks

may need a cap replacement and once over if those things don't help.

use the link in my sig to find similar gear...............................
get it to a tech. they don't cost ungodly amounts and they could blackface it for cheap usually.

it's worth fixing that's for sure.

it's worth $500-700 in perfect working order imo.

is it for you? that depends on what you play.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
get it to a tech. they don't cost ungodly amounts and they could blackface it for cheap usually.

is it for you? that depends on what you play.

i dont want it to be a blackface though, theyre so common this is the only silverface ive ever seen
also, i play lots of music so i could work with this
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Jun 28, 2010,
Quote by IronMaiden76
i dont want to be a blackface though, theyre so common this is the only silverface ive ever seen

that is a joke right? that is why you have the 'haha' there? blackfaces era was from ~63 to 67, the silverface era was from 68 to 80 or so (i am totally ballparking those numbers btw) so blackfaces are much more rare.

black lining a silver face is pretty advantageous to the overall circuit, i can't remember all the specifics of the differences (especially with the twin models, i was more familiar with the deluxe circuits) but the silverfaces have some pretty inherently bad design concepts that can be straightened out quite a bit with a black line mod. but if you don't want to change the amp stock i can also understand that. it is not a 'bad' amp, but more people would prefer the blackface version.

Quote by IronMaiden76
also, i play lots of music so i could work with this

i don't know what this means
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 28, 2010,
well if it's something simple it's cheap. i had an old fender clone nearly rewired for $60.

if it's a transformer it's another story.

if it's a fuse, it's another thing completely. i know you said it powers up.

take it to a tech. there isn't anything wrong with silver faced fenders, they just aren't as sought after. i've had a couple. (silverfaces, it's a bit early for me to start chugging but today is shaping up for it).
Quote by IronMaiden76
i dont want it to be a blackface though, theyre so common this is the only silverface ive ever seen

I don't think he was joking.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm wondering if he think's the reissues are blackfaces
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
nah broskis i was joking. personally, i like blackfaces. BUT, it turns out its a 1962-1968 model... friggin hell, im not gonna have any chance to buy it

and i play southern rock, blues, classic rock, and some metal... for all but the metal this is good, right?
read that

http://www.schematicheaven.com/mods/silver2blackmod.htm

basically, you can change the silverface into a blackface for fairly cheap.

i find the large amount of headroom of the twin actually supports a 'metal' tone quite well if you have a good od/distortion pedal in the front. i used my music man hd212(kinda like a twin) with a gibson explorer and a sansamp gt-2 for years and sounded fine.

-ae
with the right pedal, metal is certainly doable. not doing it right perse, but doing it. how well can be opinionized. o_0

but the other stuff all day long.
i did get a peavey 4x12 eventually and now 'heavy' music setup is an OR50H and a ppc212 with weber speakers. i play my gibson LPDC or SG through it.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i did get a peavey 4x12 eventually and now 'heavy' music setup is an OR50H and a ppc212 with weber speakers. i play my gibson LPDC or SG through it.

my first two years of playing was a dod american metal pedal through a 72 twin.

it struggled with "quiet" oddly enough.