So here is my story so far. I wanted to build a guitar as a bonding expirence with my father. We were going to build a tele because of the natural look it has over a strat/other guitars. We ent up going with a Les Paul (but choose esp's version).

This is what we have so far;

It's maple (4 pieces) from an old piece of furnature we were going to throw out for my grand mother.

It will have a single coil neck pup, 1 volume knob, killswitch (seems handy and easy)

Before we glued together the pieces we routed from where the pup will be to where the controll cavity will be.

I only have $36 that I'm willing to spend on this but my dad is willing to pitch in $20.

Here are the part's were probably going to end up getting (looking for cheapest stuff, don't care about quality)
Single coil pup $3
Saddle Bridge $6
2 knobs $6
250k pot $3
I have an output jack
We have wire
Also, just found out about Eden necks, That's about $32

So how does everything sound? How does it look so far?

Edit: Also, would it be ok if I just drilled 6 holes behind the bridge and put plastic blates over it insted of getting a tail piece?
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Last edited by EBass at Jun 26, 2010,
good luck dude.

but honestly if the stuff you get isn't quality, you should probably get some GFS pickups and better other stuff.

not much point having a guitar if it doesn't sound good. :\
Bonding Experience = honestly make a chair or something, don't punish the poor guitar, 56 dollars isn't going to make a good sounding guitar, great shape, but put some good pups in it or something
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by Holysorrow
Bonding Experience = honestly make a chair or something, don't punish the poor guitar, 56 dollars isn't going to make a good sounding guitar, great shape, but put some good pups in it or something

agreed.

also if you put the pup near the neck, then it'll sound muddy... and with a 2.00 pickup i don't think it'll sound good anywhere.
only a single coil? hmm this will be interesting to see how this will look
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by DisasterMatt
good luck dude.

but honestly if the stuff you get isn't quality, you should probably get some GFS pickups and better other stuff.

not much point having a guitar if it doesn't sound good. :\

Well we're on a really tight budget this year (I see him yearly) and we just wanted to make something that worked. We're not even planning on painting it.

If we get it up and working properly (or atleast making a proper sound) I could save up around $300 for parts and paint.

Quote by Holysorrow

Make a chair out of other furnature? What does that acomplish?

I'm not trying to make it sound good, I'm just trying to make it work on our tight budget.

Quote by DisasterMatt
agreed.

also if you put the pup near the neck, then it'll sound muddy... and with a 2.00 pickup i don't think it'll sound good anywhere.

I'm fine with muddy I'm a bassist so I like the warm tones.

Anyway, if it ends up working then I'll probably change all the hardware and pickups to something better (It's a good body so far and could have a nice potential if I had more cash)

If everything works out I'll go ahead and buy these (in a few months to a year);

Single coil EMG
Black Roller Bidge
Black Tunning Machines
And paint it bright white.

Is that good enough for you guys?
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Last edited by EBass at Jun 26, 2010,
Don't worry about what we think, it's your guitar, build it your way

we're just giving you advice

but make sure not to screw up, I wanna see this happen
Quote by DisasterMatt
Don't worry about what we think, it's your guitar, build it your way

we're just giving you advice

but make sure not to screw up, I wanna see this happen

Thanks

Right now we're at a stall because we don't want to route anything without haveing the parts to make sure about measurements and what not. We got the side's sanded and the back sanded, but don't want to sand the front yet (we have some stuff penciled in.

I was wondering if it would be ok to use my acoustic guitar for some measurements. Like from the 12 fret to the bridge? should that be the same as the 12 fret to bridge on my build? They're both full size so I'm guessing so but I'm not sure.

And also, for behind the bridge I wanted to just drill 6 holes and cut a plate of plastic or metal (probably plastic for now) to put over it so it doesn't dig into the wood. Would this work instead of having a tailpiece?
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
I wouldn't use an acoustic guitar for it. Wait until you have the neck to locate the bridge.

Also, are you making this string-thru? In that case, you'll need top and back ferrules. Otherwise you'll have to put a stopbar on the guitar. That bridge you have doesn't hold the strings.
I would suggest you don't measure your acoustic. There are different scale lengths for guitars and your acoustic may not be the same as what your neck is fretted to. Get the neck, measure from the nut to the 12th fret, double it. That's your scale length. Stew-mac.com has a great calculator that will tell you where to drill for your mounting holes.
The plastic could work. Thats how the Gibson Ripper was. But remember that you need it on the back and top of the guitar.
In relation to building a cheap guitar.............go for it! No point making something you don't want, and it's all experience at the end of the day.

A few points to consider:

The neck you decide on will obviously determine the scale length of the guitar. So this will determine the position of your bridge (also depending on the depth the neck is set into the body) otherwise your intonation will be way out of wack.

As far as the tailpiece, do you mean in the same sort of way schecter (among many others!) do their string through bridges? If so, i'd recommend some sort of way to prevent the strings from digging into the wood by using the same sort of cylindrical tube idea they use.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Quote by Pac_man0123
I wouldn't use an acoustic guitar for it. Wait until you have the neck to locate the bridge.

Also, are you making this string-thru? In that case, you'll need top and back ferrules. Otherwise you'll have to put a stopbar on the guitar. That bridge you have doesn't hold the strings.

Quote by inkandlead
I would suggest you don't measure your acoustic. There are different scale lengths for guitars and your acoustic may not be the same as what your neck is fretted to. Get the neck, measure from the nut to the 12th fret, double it. That's your scale length. Stew-mac.com has a great calculator that will tell you where to drill for your mounting holes.
The plastic could work. Thats how the Gibson Ripper was. But remember that you need it on the back and top of the guitar.

Ok so I'll wait till I get the neck to do anything.

I know that I nead a front and back plate, I sketched out what I was thinking and here it is;

and the back would be the same just without the bridge.
Based on the Warwick Alien bridge

Is it a good idea?
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by Pete Griffin
...As far as the tailpiece, do you mean in the same sort of way schecter (among many others!) do their string through bridges? If so, i'd recommend some sort of way to prevent the strings from digging into the wood by using the same sort of cylindrical tube idea they use.

Exactily what I mean, and I was thinking of those metal slurpie straws they have at 7/11... I mean it will be covered up and noone would see the inside is really a slurpie straw
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Bump +

Got the neck in today

Got the pup and tunners yesterday

And I was wondering if I made a metal pickguard, grounded it, and had the strings touch it as they came out. Would they be grounded? As long as the strings are touching ground I'm good right?

Pic of new idea
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by iampeter
nice...im jealous i want to make a guitar too

looking forward to more progress pictures

It's not as hard as it seems. So far I've only spent around $60 for all the parts, and if you have wood/tools it's pretty easy to do.

Also, bridge came in. Now I have all parts needed, once my dad gets a router from a friend we should be able to keep going and throw wverything together nicely.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Looks good, reminds me of the Gibson Dusk Tiger....in a good way
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Quote by jafar007
Looks good, reminds me of the Gibson Dusk Tiger....in a good way

Thanks, never really thought of it like that.

Last night we got the pick guard done

We made it from this shelf thing we were going to throw out

Cut out

On guitar
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Sanded

On guitar

Today we put tunners on the neck and marked where we need to route. We also picked up a neck plate and some strings from guitar center.

We should have a router by tonight or tomorrow. And we might wire everything (volume, tone, output and killswitch) later tonight.

Also, sorry for the double post, but it wouldn't post all the pics together.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass

And I was wondering if I made a metal pickguard, grounded it, and had the strings touch it as they came out. Would they be grounded? As long as the strings are touching ground I'm good right?

Yes, although i would be worried about the strings on the edge of the pickguard, as it may be sharp. I would just do it the conventional way and drill a small hole from the control cavity to the tailpiece bushing then have a wire running to that. That will be your bridge ground and will work.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by Doonan
thats cool man. i like it

Thanks, man.

So this morning we got the router and

Mounted the neck

Routed the cavity
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Finnished wireing (no killswitch yet, havent grounded pick guard)

Out come should be a lot like this

A day or 2 tops and I'll have the finnished product up for you

Again, sorry for the double post
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
I'm just going to report this to get it moved in the 'Gear Building and Customising' section.
It's not that I have anything against your build or thread, but this stuff belongs there, and you'll probably get a larger response there.

On topic though, it's looking really great, I love the pickguard idea.

MAJOR EDIT.
I thought this was the electric guitar forum. Head+desk=me.

My apologies. :P
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by philipk
this headstock will look weird on a les paul :O

I think it looks alright

Quote by MonkeyLink07
Yes, although i would be worried about the strings on the edge of the pickguard, as it may be sharp. I would just do it the conventional way and drill a small hole from the control cavity to the tailpiece bushing then have a wire running to that. That will be your bridge ground and will work.

Well we're grinding all the edges so it's safe to touch, I'm sure if its smooth enough to touch it wont be too harsh for the strings

Quote by Baby Joel
I'm just going to report this to get it moved in the 'Gear Building and Customising' section.
It's not that I have anything against your build or thread, but this stuff belongs there, and you'll probably get a larger response there.

On topic though, it's looking really great, I love the pickguard idea.

MAJOR EDIT.
I thought this was the electric guitar forum. Head+desk=me.

My apologies. :P

lol, it's k it gave me a laugh

Quote by LeviMan_2001
If your pots are grounded to the cases, that should connect up to the pick gaurd. And if your jack is in the pickgaurd, then it'll definitely be grounded.

Good, I just wasn't 100% sure and needed to know

Quote by kiaba94
looks very nice. lol but a single coil on a les paul?? weirrrdddd... lol

I like it :P
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
yeah, I have a crappy Les Paul copy and one of my favorite tones is a humbucker in parallel in the neck.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
ok well everything is finnished but I don't have a pic yet, this will probably be my only computer time that I get till wednesday so I'll try to get a pic up then

it sounds k looks k and plays k so I'm happy

Only spent like $60 total and learned a lot about tools I've never used and got better at soldering so I think it was worth it
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah