this summer i plan on buying a new amplifier

i was going to buy the blues junior but i joined a band as bassist (borrowing equipment) and so plan on buying a bass

since i need a new amp i was thinking about getting an amp that is suited for both bass and guitar (a bass amp though probably) enough to jam with drums

my gear is a squier strat and a squier jazz bass

i play rock (classic and alt), funk and blues

i was thinking about the bassman and the tv looks really nice but its is a bit too expensive

any ideas?
I have an acoustic 100w 1x15 solid state combo that our bands bass player uses. I used to use it with a russian big muff and it would sound bad ass. I got an awsome kyuss sound.
What's your budget?

Playing a bass through a guitar amp will likely blow a speaker as guitar speakers aren't made to handle the low frequencies of a bass. Playing a guitar through a bass amp is fine, it just mightn't give you the optimum tone (especially distorted).

That said I quite like the sound of my MT-2 through my bass amp for guitar or bass. I find it terrible through a guitar amp but the 15" speaker of the bass amp really brings out the low end and tames the highs.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Does the band you'll be playing with have a PA? If so, just get a bass preamp and go direct-in, it's common practice among bassists. I use a Hartke Bass Attack VXL for exactly that, sounds nice to me.

If your band won't have a PA, you can just get a guitar combo and swap the speaker for a bass speaker, or some allrounder like an Eminence Delta 12. The Celestion Heritage G12H is also a possibility. It's a guitar speaker, but was originally designed for bass. It's pretty dear though.

You can also just use a bass amp for both. While that'll give you nice cleans usually, it won't provide any drive and I don't know how bass amps react to dirt pedals.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by GNR4EVER
What's your budget?

Playing a bass through a guitar amp will likely blow a speaker as guitar speakers aren't made to handle the low frequencies of a bass. Playing a guitar through a bass amp is fine, it just mightn't give you the optimum tone (especially distorted).

That said I quite like the sound of my MT-2 through my bass amp for guitar or bass. I find it terrible through a guitar amp but the 15" speaker of the bass amp really brings out the low end and tames the highs.

im iming for one with a 10 inch speaker

are there any ones similar to the tv ten which apparently is very bright

im not sure what my budget is, depending on how i find work but i also have to buy a bass (250 euro) so about 550. the bassman tv will be in my reach if i work though
Quote by TheQuailman
Does the band you'll be playing with have a PA? If so, just get a bass preamp and go direct-in, it's common practice among bassists. I use a Hartke Bass Attack VXL for exactly that, sounds nice to me.

If your band won't have a PA, you can just get a guitar combo and swap the speaker for a bass speaker, or some allrounder like an Eminence Delta 12. The Celestion Heritage G12H is also a possibility. It's a guitar speaker, but was originally designed for bass. It's pretty dear though.

You can also just use a bass amp for both. While that'll give you nice cleans usually, it won't provide any drive and I don't know how bass amps react to dirt pedals.

they dont have a PA system

the speaker thing might be a bit tough though as im not sure what to do

I thought this thing was pretty cool. Ampeg SVT Micro, with matching 2x10 cab. Apparently it's the same as the old Crate Powerblocks, and I thought those were kind of cool too. I mean, it probably won't be the best tone, but it should still sound decent for both, with pedals of course.
Quote by '93
they dont have a PA system

the speaker thing might be a bit tough though as im not sure what to do

You take the old speaker out and put the new one in.

Four screws, two cables. You'll be fine.

The only problem I can see is it not being powerful enough. Bass amps are loud 500w is pretty standard. I mean I've played bass through a 5w guitar amp and it was fine, but it wouldn't suffice on stage.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a bass amp usually has a line-in right? Hook a guitar preamp like a POD or Tonelab up to that and it's a guitar amp. Probably won't sound as good as a dedicated guitar amp, but it'll work at least.
Quote by TheQuailman

The only problem I can see is it not being powerful enough. Bass amps are loud 500w is pretty standard. I mean I've played bass through a 5w guitar amp and it was fine, but it wouldn't suffice on stage.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a bass amp usually has a line-in right? Hook a guitar preamp like a POD or Tonelab up to that and it's a guitar amp. Probably won't sound as good as a dedicated guitar amp, but it'll work at least.

the 75 W one was good enough to jam with the drums so i think 150 is enough

the line ins arent that great though
Quote by TheQuailman

What about tuning them?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
What about tuning them?

I don't understand?

Quote by '93

the line ins arent that great though

What's wrong with them?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 26, 2010,
Marshall 2061x if you really wanna splurge. 2 input are for bass and 2 others are for guitar.

http://marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2061X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahagony - Cherry
Homemade EVH Black&White Frankenstrat
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall 425B cab
EVH phase 90 + 117 Flanger, Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face + Crybaby 535Q, Boss DD-20, Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by GNR4EVER
What's your budget?

That's untrue, they are. Run a Blue Box, Whammy, or pull down a floyd Rose. You are making really low frequencies with those. This is only true of some older amps, when cranked.
Quote by Tedward

I thought this thing was pretty cool. Ampeg SVT Micro, with matching 2x10 cab. Apparently it's the same as the old Crate Powerblocks, and I thought those were kind of cool too. I mean, it probably won't be the best tone, but it should still sound decent for both, with pedals of course.

want

On a serious note, the issue here is that for a tube amp...What would be suitable for bass would have too much headroom and power for guitar. What would be suitable for guitar would not have enough clean headroom for bass.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman

What's wrong with them?

the line in as in the auxillary input?

the tend to bypass any eq and would not be of the hgithest quality when compared to the actual input

i dont mind too much headroom...i love my pedals anyway

the marshall is way to expensive (although really nice)