So I'm just wondering, out of all the stompboxes being manufactured now, which ones do you think will become classics after a couple decades.

Probably a pedal that isn't a straight-up reissue or clone, but may be a new generation of a vintage pedal. Likely not from a custom builder or BYOC thing, probably made in decent numbers.

The kind of pedal that some kid gets for his birthday but ends up putting it in his closet until he moves out 20 years later and some gear ***** from GG&A sees at a garage sale for $30 Dystopian Dollars, but on the future version of Ebay they're selling for $300.

Do you even think there will be any? Or will people still be obsessed with 75 year old Mullard t00bz, JRC4558's, and orange drops, if there are any left?
I think the custom/boutique pedals will be the most sought-after. As companies like keeley, zvex, and fulltone become mainstream companies, their early pedals are going to become more sought after. People are going to pay silly amounts of money for that '69 fuzz handwired by mike fuller, because it's got a story behind it and good fuzz transistors are getting more and more rare.
I feel like most anything analog will get even more reverence among gear heads just because the world is going steadily more digital, ya know?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

EHX POG and HOG, maybe.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I myself was thinking the EHX DEM , and some Malekko stuff like the 616.

I agree about the Analog, and for sure like Colin said, stuff considered vintage already will sell for a mint as time goes by, but that goes without saying.

EDIT: OK maybe not the DEM, but I mean, look at teh Russian Muffs from last year!
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 26, 2010,
Sound will be irrelevant to future collectibility because modeling systems that can replicate just about any hardware will be dirt cheap in another ten or twenty years. What will really be collectible is the stuff that was scare the first time around and has a connection to a celebrity musician or stuff that requires a physical interface that cannot be replicated within a computers. So stuff like oddball Zvex probes and guitars with Fuzz Factory boards built in will sell high whereas a Mastotron will probably be $5 at a flea market.
Quote by nightraven
doubt any of the current production boss,ibanez,ehx,digitech pedals will be rare considering how enormous the production of those pedals is.

I could see great pedals that nobody ever gets becoming hard to find in the future (Digitech Timebender for example). Other than that, I can't really think of anything that isn't already becoming a 'classic,' like the spam-can Fuzz Factory

Edit:
Quote by '93
mxr eq 10?

Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
The big box DMM (i know they aren't being manufactured now, but they stopped production pretty recently) will soar up in price.

I think the POG or HOG might do. People might look back at them with a sorta reverence because of them being the first of their kind to work really well. People might view them as having mojo, eventually, although people obviously might just think "meh, theres stuff being made now that does that way better, I'll get that instead". Depends who is out there hyping shit up

Quote by nightraven

Quote by '93
mxr eq 10?

why?

Quote by '93
mxr eq 10?

You'd almost think so, given its reputation here.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Oh, Tims and Timmys will become very very valuable once Paul retires/dies/ect. I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by nightraven
yeah, that's true, but it's not going to be like the boss sp-1 or vb-2 kind of rare, because not only are there far far more of the timebenders out there, but the sounds can be duplicated with other pedals, especially in the future when technology will have skyrocketed even more it's still hard to find vibrato pedals are cool as the vb-2.
something that might be a real treasure in the future is the EHX flanger hoax

This is true. The Flanger Hoax is a pretty unique pedal you don't see very often.

Now that VB-2...
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
well if i knew for sure i'd have already bought about 50...

seriously, though, probably what colin is saying.

EDIT: also if some famous band or player starts using an effect, that might increase the prices too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by Roc8995
I think the custom/boutique pedals will be the most sought-after. As companies like keeley, zvex, and fulltone become mainstream companies, their early pedals are going to become more sought after. People are going to pay silly amounts of money for that '69 fuzz handwired by mike fuller, because it's got a story behind it and good fuzz transistors are getting more and more rare.
This for the most part

The internet has really opened up gear and trading. Maybe eventually all that will be available are small, locally owned, hand-built fuzzes. Sure component cost will have a great effect on price (no pun intended). I personally wouldn't pay more for what in the end is you reminiscing about a different time. You can get all kinds of clones, with new 'company' coming out all the time. They sound ****ing killer too.

BUT if you can find what you like, its old, and it works great, that's cool as well.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by nightraven
it will be cool to have a 60 year old pedal

I think this will be true of just about every old pedal. After a certain point in time I'd be willing to bet pedals as a whole will become obsolete (I will apply affects to my sound using mind powers) so anything 30+ years old will just be so novelty its collectible.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by '93
mxr eq 10?

....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

*gasp*

........................AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.