Hey I just started learning how to mix and record and I'm now realizing how difficult it is. Can you guys help me with this song I'm working on? It sounds okay but nothing spectacular. I know the solo sucks. I'm still practicing it but for now I just want to figure out how to mix it properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExFAJ5PSl_0
What are you going for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
1. don't use guitar pro drums, get ezdrummer
2. work on mic positions and change amp settings to sound clean and tight
3. get a good mic (shure sm57)
4. try double or quad tracking
5. work with panning and volumes
6. USE REAPER IT IS AMAZING
7. just keep trying different things and experiment, you'll get better in time
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Well, I actually use a Pod Studio UX2 with Pod Farm so the tones come from my computer and interface. No amps whatsoever. And this is recorded into Reaper. Thanks ill try the other instructions
Holy shit, where do I start?

First off, get better drums. Not EZDrummer cuz its shit, go for Addictive Drums or Superior Drummer

Second, your guitars sound like utter shit. Find a good tone

Third, get a bass guitar in there to help it sound less like shit.

Fourth, holy shit this is terrible

Finally, fix your volume so its constant the whole time instead of shit I cant hear anything

I pressed the Vuvuzela button and it made the track 30 times better sounding than shit
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
ha dont worry about that guy.... if your suing reaper you can send me the file and i can try to fix some stuff..you might have to re record some stuff like the rythm guitars cuz they sound like they have alot of reveb on them..but yeah if you wanna send me the reaper file on my email and can try to make it sound a bit better adn explain to ya what i did that way youll start learning!
Quote by lockwolf
Holy shit, where do I start?

First off, get better drums. Not EZDrummer cuz its shit, go for Addictive Drums or Superior Drummer

Second, your guitars sound like utter shit. Find a good tone

Third, get a bass guitar in there to help it sound less like shit.

Fourth, holy shit this is terrible

Finally, fix your volume so its constant the whole time instead of shit I cant hear anything

I pressed the Vuvuzela button and it made the track 30 times better sounding than shit

First off, Don't bite the noobie. You started somewhere, and this dudes asking for help. And the bolded quote was just you being an arsehole. Now that's out of the way, you're obviously new to this kinda thing, but don't be put off, because everyone has to start somewhere. I would start by getting something like Reaper if your not already using it, as it's the perfect balance between a reasonably featured DAW, and something nice and simple. I would then get EZdrummer and it's expansion packs. I do think Ezdrummer itself is shit, its expansions are very very good, and have been treated a little so you won't have to deal with mixing drums. After this I would check out the offical thread of amp emulation, there's a link in the stuck at the top of the page, and finally, just keep practcing, you'll get better, read up on things about mixing and equipment on websites like sound on sound. Just as an added note, don't listen to people that just criticize you, because that's ****ing stupid. Constructive criticism is worth listening to and you should try and learn from it, but if someone just bashes you, ignore them. and practice practice practice
Quote by theepiczebra
First off, Don't bite the noobie. You started somewhere, and this dudes asking for help. And the bolded quote was just you being an arsehole. Now that's out of the way, you're obviously new to this kinda thing, but don't be put off, because everyone has to start somewhere. I would start by getting something like Reaper if your not already using it, as it's the perfect balance between a reasonably featured DAW, and something nice and simple. I would then get EZdrummer and it's expansion packs. I do think Ezdrummer itself is shit, its expansions are very very good, and have been treated a little so you won't have to deal with mixing drums. After this I would check out the offical thread of amp emulation, there's a link in the stuck at the top of the page, and finally, just keep practcing, you'll get better, read up on things about mixing and equipment on websites like sound on sound. Just as an added note, don't listen to people that just criticize you, because that's ****ing stupid. Constructive criticism is worth listening to and you should try and learn from it, but if someone just bashes you, ignore them. and practice practice practice

+1
Quote by theepiczebra

well said.

the best mixing advise i can toss in for now i just listen to music critically. listen to where they put their guitars (and other instruments) in the stereo field, listen to levels relative to the other instruments, listen to how the guitars and bass and drums all work together, and listen to how and where they use effects. try to hear the reverbs and delays so you know what the pro's do. after that, give your mix another shot and bring it to us. We'll be able to help you better once you get a good start on it.

best of luck man. it's a whole lot of fun once you start getting the hang of it. keep it up.
You know, people like Lock need to get hit by buses, but that aside, mixing and moreso mastering is a long arduous process that takes a very long time to perfect. No one on this site just started putting tracks together and having them sound amazing.

The biggest problem with that entire track is really the fact that none of the tracks equaully sit with each other. In a mix, every instrument has its on spot and for starters if things are not panned correctly then they will just sit on top of each other and mud everything up.

Secondly, keep in mind that with every spot in the mix there are also inherent frequencies that are going to get squished by other instruments. This is most commonly how things get drowned out in a mix.

The NICE thing about Guitar Pro drums, is that you can export them as a MIDI and run it through EZDrummer or SUPERIOR. If you need help or guidance at any time with doing that send me a PM and I'll do what I can. I just posted an example of some EZD Drumkit from Hell stuff on my page Link: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Omega6762/music/all/play858120

Proof that you CAN get good sounds with it...I'm pretty sure Devin Townsend agreed too, seeing as tho that is what he was using before he started using Superior 2.0 which again, is another ToonTrack product.

Here is a good tip for mixing and mastering that I like to use. When you are really trying to find your way, record a short cover of a song you love. Then spend an INSANE amount of time mixing it, and in post production to get it as close as the original as possible. Don't be afraid to do something insane, just make sure you safe your file before you do :P Along with that, listen to the track on AS MANY systems as you can, and try to make them sound the same or close on each one. This will really tell you how strong your mix is

The key is patience, and perseverance. Every time you open up your DAW you are gonna be changing things that you thought you liked before. It's just a fact of life. Just don't give up, and keep cracking away at it
Quote by Omega6762
You know, people like Lock need to get hit by buses, but that aside

Been there, done that...
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Hey you guys (well most of you lol) I want to thank you for your support. I was about to just give up on the cover itself but then I came back and saw your optimism weigh out the pessimism so I gave it another go. I was able to fix it up a lot (I think!) and here is what it looks like. When I gather enough cash I'll invest into EZ Drummer, but for now I just have to stick with guitar pro drums =(. Oh yeah, I used too much reverb on the lead. My bad lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YmMvF5kzSI
Your on your way. Recording is a very disciplined art. Read as much as you can on EQing, reverb, track arrangement and compression. There are some great threads in the forums out here. Ive been at it for about two years and I haven't even scratched the surface.
sounds a whole lot better man. there's still room for improvement, but you're getting there.

the first thing that popped out to me (besides the drums, but we wont talk about that right now...) was the bass. sounds a bit muddy.

it might be better to record that rhythm track a second time, and pan both of them out a bit. it's up to you whether or not you want to pan out ALL the way, but at least go most of the way with them.

and yes, there's too much verb on the lead for that style of music, although i thought it sounded pretty cool.... just out of place.

keep up the good work man. if you get sick of trying to make that song perfect, record another one. it always feels good when your first mixes of your songs keep getting better and better as you learn more.
the second one sounds a lot better. turn down the reverb on the lead, and fix the low end. rhythm guitar was ok, but the tone was fizzy. low pass on that should help. and you need a high pass on those guitars. your low end is not defined at all. drums still sounded pretty poor.

and lets be honest here, the first one was completly cringe worthy. second try is a huge improvement, even if the video was really tacky.