Ok, so I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II I bought at a pawn shop for $100 last year and its actually been a pretty decent guitar. I want to modify it so becomes a little metal beast of a guitar without spending Too much. I'm looking to toss in some seymour duncan pickups, but I'm not which ones give the best metal tone. I also want to add a whammy bar without drilling the body so I'm thinking of getting a Les Trem but would like some honest opinions about it. Any suggestions or opinions?
Put in DiMarzio PAF's. Add a middle single coil pickup. Put a Bigsby on it. Paint It Black(lolpun). Paste some roadkill on it. All of this = AWESOME!

Not the roadkill part though...
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Active pups, to cover up the horrible tone.

I'm normally TOTALLY opposed to actives, but not if it's to cover up a shitty guitar with a shitty tone wood (if you can even call it that)

EDIT: Just to clarify, it's not that mahogany is a bad wood, by all means it's a great one! Just that Epi's Special series uses the worst cuts of it and too many pieces in one body.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by Burgery
Put in DiMarzio PAF's. Add a middle single coil pickup. Put a Bigsby on it. Paint It Black(lolpun). Paste some roadkill on it. All of this = AWESOME!

Not the roadkill part though...

DiMarzios might be good although I've never played a guitar that has them yet. How's the tone on those things? I dont like the Bigsby, though. They just dont cut it for me.

Actually that roadkill might look pretty badass!!
Honestly, I had an Epi Les Paul II, and once I get it back I'll remember just how suckish it was

Anyway, I've heard nothing but good about GFS pickups, and they're cheap, but if you have a lot of money go for DiMarzios or Duncans.

Best of luck.

Also you should move the switch to the normal les paul, or cut a hole, and put a non functioning one there just to make it look right

LPII's are like crappy copies of a les paul, but... actually from a les paul company, which is really ironic
I know this probably isn't the color of your guitar, but whatever

That would look awesome
Quote by DisasterMatt
I know this probably isn't the color of your guitar, but whatever

That would look awesome

Actually that is the color of my guitar and youre right, that does look awesome
Quote by MetalxKing
Actually that is the color of my guitar and youre right, that does look awesome

lol i just guessed

black pickups would look kinda cool with a black bigsby. maybe painting over the headstock and getting a special pen and adding your own logo

I hate the les paul logo on these

btw i had a white one. it sucked nuts
New one.

lol I've taken a fancy to your build.

anyway, for pickups, GFS rails would probably sound metal and be like... sex... in pickup form
Is it possible to swap out the tremolo arm on the bigsby for something like a floyd rose trem arm? Also are you using photoshop or something to make those pics?
Quote by DisasterMatt
http://store.guitarfetish.com/blhotpafhubl.html These aren't GFS but you should get em. They're probably pretty good.

Sorry im posting so much lol

For 30 bucks they're worth replacing the peice of shits on my lp.

I have to be totally honest, dude. I've been playing guitar for a few years and I have no frickin clue what GFS means.

Dont worry about posting so much. The more the merrier, I suppose
If I were you, I'd get a Kahler trem. It isn't a drop-in, but very little routing is needed (and I think they make one now that doesn't need routed? Don't quote me on that though!) and it'll give you much better results than a Bigsby, as in no tuning issues (minus bends) and you can pull up and dive much further. Unless you play with a lot of bends, it's totally worth it.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
GFS is Guitarfetish. it's a brand, so it's not like you HAVE to know it.

anyway, yeah I've heard nothing but good things about them
I was thinking of getting a kahler. But would I be able to do some serious dive bombs with it though?
I dunno, but what I do know is, I love bigsbies and it would look pretty flippin' sweet on a LP.

Just saying
A Stetsbar vibrato is a drop-in replacement and has the same range as a Fender with better tuning stability. Only problem is it'll cost more than twice as much as the guitar.

http://stetsbar.com/stop.tail.html
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
gah, this makes me wanna go pick up a special and go flippin insane on it

anyway

you got any pics of it?