Hi, first post on these forums, so please be gentle.

Okay, I have started playing guitar a bit, and will soon be buying my first electric guitar, or any guitar for that matter.

My music tastes are incredibly varied, and I plan to play that way as well. When it comes to guitar artists, I really like the sound of John Petrucci and Yngwie Malmsteen, if that is any guide.

The budget is around 400 euros for the whole package (guitar, amp, cable, bag, anything else), but less is more. That is, if the extra investment does not get me much in terms of quality, I'd rather not spend it.

As far as amps go, I selected the following:
Roland cube 15X
Peavey Vypyr 15
and if the budget allows:
Vox VT15 Valvetronix (about 60 Euros more expensive than the others, but apparently it has tubes)

The real problem is with the guitar itself, I have no clue what to look for. The Yamaha 112 seems promising, but I cannot get it in any shop around here, making me not want to buy it (I prefer to hold and play it a bit before deciding); the same for the Ibanez RG321. So, after some searching, that leaves me with

Epiphone G310 (199)
Epiphone SG (149)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II (129)
Ibanez GRG series (~199 there are many models, and I am not sure what the differences are)

As you can see by the selection, I would prefer a fixed bridge. I also gather that, given my stye or lack thereof, a Humbucker and two single pickups would be the best. If any other models would suit me and fit in my budget, that would be awesome. However, the pickings are quite slim out here (Ghent, Belgium) so I am not sure if I would be able to find them.

The remaining stuff I picked is:
Guitar bag -30
Stand - 10
Tuner - 25
Strings - 10
cable - 10

For a total of 85. If I can drop any stuff (maybe the bag) to make a better guitar fit in the budget, I am up for it. As said, the budget is somewhat flexible, but I am not looking to break the bank over my first guitar (I assume my next one will be a much better, and more informed, choice).
Well, the Epi SG(if you mean the G-400, which is the most common "Epi SG") has...notsogood pickups, to be nice, and the G-310 is just a stripped down G400, so if it costs MORE I deffo wouldn't get it. The LP Special II is a bottom-of-the-rung model too, so Iunno if I'd trust that, but, then, I spent 5 minutes playing one so I don't really know. The GRG has bad reviews but the bit of time I spent with it the pickups weren't TOO bad, but I really didn't like the feel(Ibanez necks are really thin, so it's a love-it-or-hate-it deal...=/). If you like Yngwie maybe a Squier Strat might be up your alley, they shouldn't be much more expensive, if not less expensive(just avoid the Bullet Strats. A Affinity Strat's, like, $150-200 CDN, not sure how much that is in euros, and that's fairly good for a beginner guitar...). And...as for the amp, the Roland Cubes are great amps to my experience(two Micro-Cubes, a Cube 20 and a Cube 30), and the Vypyr's supposed to be great, but I've never got a chance to play one. And I think the Cubes come with tuners built in, and the Vypyrs might too since they're modular amps.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
yeah, i think HSS (or alternatively HSH) pickups is the way to go.

what brands do you have easy access to in belgium?

i would take a pass on the roland cube 15x, generally with the cubes you want to step up to the 30x or else go with the microcube (as the 15x and 20x don't have the amp models). i wouldn't worry too much about the valvetronix having tubes, it's not an all-tube amp, it just has one preamp tube (which is in the poweramp, i think ). Anyway, I don't think it's doing much, if you like its sound better, by all means get it, just don't get it solely because it has a tube in there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is the most intelligent first guitar thread I think I've ever seen. Many kudos to you, and welcome to UG.

Of the amps, I personally recommend the Vypyr 15, but if you can, try them and see what sounds the best to your ear. They're all good choices, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

As for the guitar, I'm assuming by "SG", you're talking about the SG special. Stay away from the Les Paul and SG specials. Play the 310, and see if you like it. Also, if you go the GRG route, try looking for one that doesn't have a trem. I think a fair amount of them do.

Personally, regarding the guitar, I have to say this: the term "used" is your best friend. If you have access to any used stuff, that is definitely a good way to go. You can get much higher quality stuff for the same price.

The accessories look good.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I don't know how the Epiphones play, but I've heard them and they don't sound terrible. I'm not an Ibanez fan, but you could do worse. My brother has a GRG170DX (though he's since upgraded to an S-series) and at least it's solidly constructed. Very much a metal guitar, though. The Epiphones might give you a bit more versatility if you want more clean/classic rock type sounds.

The tubes in the Valvetronix are a gimmick. I don't remember exactly how the electronics are set up, but basically all the parts that have any real effect on tone are solid-state. Rather lousy-sounding amp, IMHO, and very noisy too -- it tends to buzz even when you're not playing anything. Granted, it's a step up from a Line 6, but then again just about anything is.

Believe it or not, I think my favorite budget amp I've played -- besides my ancient Crate -- is probably the Marshall MG. The controls are terrible, and need I say more about the crushing overdrive, but the clean tone isn't half bad, and for my purposes that's all I really need. Eh, but what do I know.
i wouldnt go for anything to expensive at first just incase you find out guitar isnt your thing after all. but still go for quality. yamahas picificas are the best started guitars iv come across, and fender squir strats. but ibanez are also great.
Welcome to UG, first of all and judging by the musical influences you've listed; I'd suggest a fender strat, of some type, don't get a squier. Or you could get the Ibanez, as a first guitar don't get any of the models with floating bridges. Also, of those amp choices you're a beginner so what'll help you the most right now is most likely the vypyr because of the different amp modelling settings, it'll help you explore different sounds.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
I would try and find a used HSS MIM strat.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
the Epip. les paul Special II is quite a good guitar for a started. I picked it up as my "first real guitar" as i like to call it. and to be fair i love it plays well compared to old strat copy and worth the £120 as you'd likely be changing guitar in a year or so.
I'm not a big fan of the low budget Epi's. Try a Yamaha Pacifica and see what you think. A lot of people swear by them for "Beginner" guitars.
I have an epiphone SG(G-400), and it is a good guitar. For beginners it is amazing
Honestly, if you can forgo the stand and bag (as I think most guitars come with a gig bag, at least every one I've ever bought has) and take the excess money and put it toward the guitar you might have some better options or at least be in the range where you could get some nice used gear. Just my two cents.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Quote by smmSTV
I have an epiphone SG(G-400), and it is a good guitar. For beginners it is amazing

+1. If you change the pickups you will have a very solid guitar from my experience, but if you're just starting out and have a solid-state amp, I wouldn't worry about that too much.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by Offworld92
This is the most intelligent first guitar thread I think I've ever seen. Many kudos to you, and welcome to UG.

Of the amps, I personally recommend the Vypyr 15, but if you can, try them and see what sounds the best to your ear. They're all good choices, and you can't go wrong with any of them.

As for the guitar, I'm assuming by "SG", you're talking about the SG special. Stay away from the Les Paul and SG specials. Play the 310, and see if you like it. Also, if you go the GRG route, try looking for one that doesn't have a trem. I think a fair amount of them do.

Personally, regarding the guitar, I have to say this: the term "used" is your best friend. If you have access to any used stuff, that is definitely a good way to go. You can get much higher quality stuff for the same price.
The accessories look good.

Great thread, great post here. OP has done some work. Only thing I can possibly add is to try out the new stuff so that when you see the used stuff whereever it is you see the used stuff you know the bargain when you see it. Good Luck.
I would recommend ESP LTD EC-50 as first guitar, its not too expensive. The guitar sounds pretty damn good for the price. It's a les paul shape guitar and its got 24 frets for some of those damn Petrucci solos that require them.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPEC50

Oh and as for the amp, i'd go for the Vypyr, just because it has such a wide variety of sounds and effects, you can get acquainted with all the effects like delay reverb and what not.
Last edited by Shadow650 at Jun 27, 2010,
With that budget you should look at an Epiphone Valve Junior Combo, great little amps

The combo is about £150 (which is about 170 Euro's if i remember rightly)
for 230 Euro's you can probably still get a fairly nice guitar
i'd be very wary of going used if you're only new, you won't know how to check it's alright.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay guys, so I finally bought one! (yes, what the heck am I doing here instead of playing?)

I shopped around, visited a bunch of shops, play a bunch of guitars, used a few different amps, heard a bunch of people talk about what would be good for me, and what not.

After trying a bunch, I held an Epiphone G-400 and fell instantly in love, it felt right in my hands, it sounded nice, the action was unbelievably smooth and the vibrations felt when playing just completely sealed the deal. Needless to say, I bought it even though it was slightly more expensive than expected (well, twice. However, you know, when you say 400, it always becomes 500.....which is why I work :-P ).

The amp to go with that was the Roland Cube 20X, it sounded pretty good, and came with a built in tuner (hence the effective cost was only 20 more than the Vypyr or the 15X). Also, the more easily accessible layout than the Vypyr and the better sound made it a better choice in my mind.

So, to future generations of guitar novices: Do your research, find a bunch of guitars that you think you might like, and then hit the stores and play some damned guitar!
sweet
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice. I would go for the exact same thing. Now go play like crazy and show us some amazing skills in the future!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R