Hello UG Forums!

I've been playing bass for the first half of this year and have been really enjoying it, my Yamaha RBX170 has been a good companion, but i'm looking to get something new. I'll try and make it as simple as possible:

Price Range: Anything under £450

Music style: 'Fast' Metal, I use my pick a lot and am looking for something meaty and metaly (metallic? :S) e.g. Trivium, J-metal, Scar Symmetry, Smyphony X, All That Remains

Basses i'm considering:
  • Ibanez ICB-300 EX
  • BC Rich Warlock - Paolo Gregoletto Bass - 4 String

This will be my first serious purchase as far as gigging goes and something I want to help me propel myself further into getting a career with music. I want it to sound great live, and as far as feel goes, there are a few good music places within reach that I may be able to try before I buy, although I do realise that they all feel different.

I don't have a lot of money and this will be the most i'll be spending for a few years which is why i've come to you guys who have been playing bass for years and hopefully know your way around some of the newer as well as the old models.

Sorry for the wall of text, thanks for any help! :]
Last edited by Rylinn at Jun 26, 2010,
You should consider getting a 5 string with that budget. It comes in very handy for playing metal, especially for Trivium.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I played a 5 string, I liked it but that B string felt quite loose (at least on the RBX375 I played) and I didn't like it much. If enough people recommend a 5 string bass for that style i'll definately consider it. Thanks for the input mate.
I'd look for the bc rich warlock nt 4 or 5 string,which I think is better than the gregoletto's sig. Better specs than on the signature,go check it out.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

BC Rich is not going to give you the most you can get for your money, likewise there are much better Ibanez you could be looking at. Are you willing to go used? Because if you are you'll be able to find something that will give you much more bang for your buck then if you go new.

I'd suggest taking a look at some Trabens, the Ibanez SR series, the Peavey Cirrus BXP, or even a good 'ol Fender.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Rylinn
I played a 5 string, I liked it but that B string felt quite loose (at least on the RBX375 I played) and I didn't like it much. If enough people recommend a 5 string bass for that style i'll definately consider it. Thanks for the input mate.

you dont have to string a 5er BEADG you can string it EADGC, which is how mine is strung.

if you want something with some growl to it. check out ESP LTD series, Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson and Traben.

dont forget you can also listen to a lot of these on youtube as well.
Quote by Tostitos
BC Rich is not going to give you the most you can get for your money, likewise there are much better Ibanez you could be looking at. Are you willing to go used? Because if you are you'll be able to find something that will give you much more bang for your buck then if you go new.

I'd suggest taking a look at some Trabens, the Ibanez SR series, the Peavey Cirrus BXP, or even a good 'ol Fender.

Thanks for the tip about BC Rich, I was unsure about them as it was. Used is fine but where do I go about getting a used model? Surely it will mean i'll have to wait a lot longer for it. Also, did you have any models in mind? Thanks.

you dont have to string a 5er BEADG you can string it EADGC, which is how mine is strung.

if you want something with some growl to it. check out ESP LTD series, Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson and Traben.

dont forget you can also listen to a lot of these on youtube as well.

I guess I could, but is that a high C string? I'm still keen on getting the low B but just didn't like the feel of it on the particular make I played and wondered if that was exclusive to that one or whether that's how they feel in general. Thanks again mate.
How much is £450 in US?

If this is in your price range try a used Warwick corvette standard 4/5 string.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by The1bassist06
How much is £450 in US?

If this is in your price range try a used Warwick corvette standard 4/5 string.

About $677, but a Warwick Corvette is still quite expensive for me, even a second hand one is out of my price range (if it's the one i'm looking at).
Usually used warwick corvettes are around $600-$750 used.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by The1bassist06
Usually used warwick corvettes are around $600-$750 used.

The only ones available off places like ebay are quite a bit more unfortunately thanks for the tip.
Quote by Rylinn
Thanks for the tip about BC Rich, I was unsure about them as it was. Used is fine but where do I go about getting a used model? Surely it will mean i'll have to wait a lot longer for it. Also, did you have any models in mind? Thanks.

Traben Array Limited, any Ibanez SR you can afford (probably something like an SR600 new, you could go higher end if you go used), a used MIM Fender (Precision, Jazz, or any variation, basically whatever floats your boat), or a Peavey Cirrus BXP. You could also take a look at Spector Legends.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Take a look at the Traben Chaos Obsession. I have a four-string version (the five-string comes with a 35" scale so it wont have a floppy B string). It is a fantastic bass. Also look at Schecter's Riot and the new Schecter Radian models of basses. Any of them should serve you well.

And of course, look at Fender's Jazz and Precision models. There are too many to list, but they are the standards by which the others are judged.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Tostitos
Traben Array Limited, any Ibanez SR you can afford (probably something like an SR600 new, you could go higher end if you go used), a used MIM Fender (Precision, Jazz, or any variation, basically whatever floats your boat), or a Peavey Cirrus BXP. You could also take a look at Spector Legends.

Traben looks awesome and I was looking at the Ibanez SR, that will definately be one of the basses I next try out if I can get my hands on it. Never really considered a Fender as a bass suitable for the music I do but if you recommend it i'll give it a go. Thanks a ton.

Quote by FatalGear41
Take a look at the Traben Chaos Obsession. I have a four-string version (the five-string comes with a 35" scale so it wont have a floppy B string). It is a fantastic bass. Also look at Schecter's Riot and the new Schecter Radian models of basses. Any of them should serve you well.

And of course, look at Fender's Jazz and Precision models. There are too many to list, but they are the standards by which the others are judged.

Never even looked at the Traben models until now and they look great, if their 5 strings are alright it'll definately be near the top of my list. And as the 2nd person to say Fender, I guess i'll definately have to try one of those out. Cheers a ton mate.
Theres some awesome Schecters and Trabens in that range. Id recomend models but i lean towards schecter and ive neer played a bad model from them.

If you could save up 50$ more this is by far the best Schecter ive ever played. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Diamond-P-Custom-Electric-Bass-Guitar-105805337-i1503921.gc

as for five I played one of these the other day and its the closest ive found to the quality of my 800$ Stiletto from a couple years back.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Stiletto-Extreme-5-Bass-520225-i1440414.gc

I have no recomendations for traben, ive played alot of them but im not sure what models as i havent researched much.
Quote by Thunderbird660
Theres some awesome Schecters and Trabens in that range. Id recomend models but i lean towards schecter and ive neer played a bad model from them.

If you could save up 50$ more this is by far the best Schecter ive ever played. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Diamond-P-Custom-Electric-Bass-Guitar-105805337-i1503921.gc

as for five I played one of these the other day and its the closest ive found to the quality of my 800$ Stiletto from a couple years back.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Stiletto-Extreme-5-Bass-520225-i1440414.gc

I have no recomendations for traben, ive played alot of them but im not sure what models as i havent researched much.

Those Schecter's look great and are perfect for my price range. I'll see if I can find one to play here in my home city. Thanks a lot
Words from a BC Rich bass owner...

Don't get a BC Rich or a "metal" shaped bass. You will really regret it. Long story short; you're buying a heavy uncomfortable bass that really doesn't look cool in the end, and you WON'T be able to play fast on it. Trust me get an Ibanez (not the one you mentioned) , or if you can anything better.
Quote by Hellhammerr
Words from a BC Rich bass owner...

Don't get a BC Rich or a "metal" shaped bass. You will really regret it. Long story short; you're buying a heavy uncomfortable bass that really doesn't look cool in the end, and you WON'T be able to play fast on it. Trust me get an Ibanez (not the one you mentioned) , or if you can anything better.

Sounds like you bought a bronze or just generally bandwagoning.

As i will say the mid-higher end BC's are well built the MIK ones are nice instruments the neck on my virgo is really good its pretty thin and i can get up to speed fairly quickly.

Also the heavy aspect of the bass can easily be remedied with a good strap its not rocket science to get a thicker strap like a big wide leather one and it remedies the weight distro on the strap aswell as remedying the neck dive.

I cant play mines sitting down as the upper part does dig in but i prefer standing up anyway.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
Sounds like you bought a bronze or just generally bandwagoning....

Yes it was a Bronze. But the shape thing is sort of a personal opinion, even though it does way a lot and is uncomfortable to play standing up. Oh and when they delivered it to me there was a HUGE gap between the strings and the fretboard, not to mention how impossibly tense the strings were.
Quote by Hellhammerr
Yes it was a Bronze. But the shape thing is sort of a personal opinion, even though it does way a lot and is uncomfortable to play standing up. Oh and when they delivered it to me there was a HUGE gap between the strings and the fretboard, not to mention how impossibly tense the strings were.

On the part with the strings, it sounds pretty much like a classic case of the action being to high and its an easy thing to remedy if you have the allen keys a quick setup and playability and the general feel of playing will be better. :P

As i said a nice wide strap makes a heavy bass not feel as heavy using a little thin one makes them worse than they are i know this all to well with mine :P, my BC is made of mahogany so you can imagine the overall weight of it and i know that warlocks are utter bitches, thats why i ended up with a virgo the symettrical body design is fairly comfortable standing up.

Besides Bronze aint known for their quality end of :P Their mid and high stuff is really nice tho.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
If you're after a metallic picking sound, I'd recommend checking out either the Ibanez SR-500 or the Ibanez ATK300. They're both just within your price range, and they can both get a pretty aggressive trebley sound.
Quote by Razgriz_101
On the part with the strings, it sounds pretty much like a classic case of the action being to high and its an easy thing to remedy if you have the allen keys a quick setup and playability and the general feel of playing will be better. :P

As i said a nice wide strap makes a heavy bass not feel as heavy using a little thin one makes them worse than they are i know this all to well with mine :P, my BC is made of mahogany so you can imagine the overall weight of it and i know that warlocks are utter bitches, thats why i ended up with a virgo the symettrical body design is fairly comfortable standing up.

Besides Bronze aint known for their quality end of :P Their mid and high stuff is really nice tho.

Mate I've been playing guitar for ages and I'm still crap at setting things up, so it's still got its horrible high action . Anyway I'll eventually get round to doing it, especially since I might be playing melodeath bass for a band soon... I got the bass "just to have one". I really need to get another bass hahaha..
Just noticed my topic had been bumped somehow.. but just to let you all know (for the one person that might be interested :P) I fell for this one in the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVSpOypscw.

I tried out the SR 500, it was nice, but lacking something. It didn't feel as comfortable as the ICB ranges from Ibanez. I also tried out a Peavey and a couple of Yamaha's but fell for that one in the end.
Quote by Rylinn
Just noticed my topic had been bumped somehow.. but just to let you all know (for the one person that might be interested :P) I fell for this one in the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVSpOypscw.

I tried out the SR 500, it was nice, but lacking something. It didn't feel as comfortable as the ICB ranges from Ibanez. I also tried out a Peavey and a couple of Yamaha's but fell for that one in the end.

SR's are definitely a bass with someone who has short stubby fingers, but a lot of people can make do with them. Which is pretty funny because once you play bass for many many years, your fingers start to get stronger and a little fatter =P

But the BTB is a great bass, they're quite heavy but I think that's because of the wood so you can get a heavier tone out of it. The ICB may look "metal" but they tend to have a lot of problems in the future, plus, you can't really get that great of a tone out of it unless you really mess with all the knobs on your amp and the bass, you also might need a few pedals.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
The most important thing for you based on the music is the feel of the instrument. Fast playing is definately a matter of technique, yes, but a poor instrument or one not suited to your body is going to hinder you and prevent you reaching the speed necessary.

I'd say an SR would suit you. Or maybe one of the higher up Yamahas.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Rylinn

You couldn't have made a better choice. She's brut-iful (crappy joke).