Apologies in advance, I don't regularly play electric so I need some advice.

I'm looking to get an electric to play classic rock and alternative but it also needs to be able to handle metal. I'm using it mostly for recreational purposes, but I plan on using it for some small gigs as well.

I checked out some sales in my area and found that I can either get:

-Ibanez RG3EX1 with a Crate XT120R amp, several effects (I'm still waiting to find out the exact models), and Coffin Case for $500
-Just the Ibanez RG3EX1 for $200
-Ibanez RG320DXQM with a Crate GX10 amp and gig bag for $300
-Schecter C1 Elite with Seymour Duncan pickups (SH-5 and '59N) with gigbag for $300.

I'm leaning towards the Schecter but I do need an amp so the other packages would be more convenient. I also have to sell my Fender Jazz Bass to pay for this so I don't have too much money to work with. Thoughts? Any other recommendations for guitars within the $200-$400 price range if not these guitars?

Thanks.
I would go for the Schecter C-1 Elite. I have one and I think its amazing, and I just have the stock Duncan Design pickups in them. So for $300 with the Duncan Pickups, I think its a pretty good deal.
I also agree with the Schecter, for what you described. You can find a gig sized amp for cheap - the problem would be finding a good sounding gig sized amp for cheap. Search around - you may stumble across a Peavey Valveking 112, or something similar for a very reasonable price. After all, it'd be a shame to get a POS amp that doesn't do your guitar any justice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Definately the Schecter. And since its only $300 you should have enough money left over to get a good amp for $100. If you get the schechter I would highly recommend getting a Line 6 IV 15W Spider amp. It only cost $100 and its an absolutely amazing amp and can handle small and larger gigs with ease. I speak from experience
Quote by MetalxKing
Definately the Schecter. And since its only $300 you should have enough money left over to get a good amp for $100. If you get the schechter I would highly recommend getting a Line 6 IV 15W Spider amp. It only cost $100 and its an absolutely amazing amp and can handle small and larger gigs with ease. I speak from experience

Is this a joke? Don't tell the guy to get a Spider, have you no heart?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Get the Schecter. They are amazing guitars and for that price, you're getting a sweet deal. You'll even have cash left over for whatever else you want.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
go with the schecter thats a real good deal. as for line 6 amps just dont please, would be pointless to get a nice guitar and run it thru a terrible amp.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by Offworld92
I also agree with the Schecter, for what you described. You can find a gig sized amp for cheap - the problem would be finding a good sounding gig sized amp for cheap. Search around - you may stumble across a Peavey Valveking 112, or something similar for a very reasonable price. After all, it'd be a shame to get a POS amp that doesn't do your guitar any justice.

Very true- I started off my electric guitar days with a BC Rich Bronze Warlock and a Fender Frontman 15G. I'm pretty sure that's why I never actually got into electric guitars. I eventually just gave that crap to my ex-boyfriend.

I found a Line 6 Spider II 75wt amp for $150 and a Peavey Bandit 112 for $100. Should I keep looking or are either of these decent enough? Perhaps I should take this to the Guitar Gear forum as well.
^ I'd stay away from the Line 6, but if you can, play the Bandit and see if you like it. It's non-modeling, which is in my opinion a good thing if you're looking for your own sound.

Keep looking though. If you get the Schecter, how much more money do you have to spend?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Majority rules. So far all here at UG recommend the Schecter. I'm sure the GG forum will tell you the same thing but a second opinion is always welcome.

P.S. For the general population: I stand by my opinion of the Spider. It is awesome!!
Quote by MetalxKing
P.S. For the general population: I stand by my opinion of the Spider. It is awesome!!

such a tragic case.....
and i recommend the bandit. many UGers love theirs
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by ninja00
If my bass sells, probably around $150.

Hm. It'll be really hard to come by a good tube amp for that price, even used. Unless you don't mind getting something small, but that wouldn't be good for gigging. There are some people on here who know which solid state amps are good, but I'm not very informed on that.

I've heard the Bandit myself though, and it is a good amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by distortion896
such a tragic case.....
and i recommend the bandit. many UGers love theirs

If many UGers loved eating babies you would eat them too? How cruel!!
Anyway in all honesty the bandit is an amazing amp as well but in the end it all comes down to personal preference. Like deciding which doritos you want: Nacho Cheese or Cool Ranch
Quote by MetalxKing
If many UGers loved eating babies you would eat them too? How cruel!!
Anyway in all honesty the bandit is an amazing amp as well but in the end it all comes down to personal preference. Like deciding which doritos you want: Nacho Cheese or Cool Ranch

your obviously not getting the point. most people shun spiders, and like bandits. thats all that i was trying to get across

and the dorito analogy is a trick question. any true american would choose spicy sweet chili. it makes up 41% of our body
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

Quote by distortion896
your obviously not getting the point. most people shun spiders, and like bandits. thats all that i was trying to get across

and the dorito analogy is a trick question. any true american would choose spicy sweet chili. it makes up 41% of our body

I dont see why people shun spiders. They're great amps.

Then I guess I am not a true american. Nacho Cheese Doritos are quite simply the best snack phenomenon to ever produce a taste bud euphoria so profound that one can't help but marvel at their sheer delicio-sity!! (not a real word, but who cares)

Is it just me or is this little side convo getting way off point here?
well i enjoyed my spider.....back when i had it, until i tried cranking it and it became quite distorted. so my next is a peavey or a vox....lol I would check them out.....but hell, even though I'd avoid them, go ahead, check a spider out, who knows.
Imo Line 6 spider amps aren't that bad for the price, sure they're not amazing, but if you're on budget then I'd go for it, they don't pick up on the guitar's tone very well though.
Otherwise go for a roland cube, you can find a 30 watt between 200-300 aus. great price and great tone.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by MetalxKing
I dont see why people shun spiders. They're great amps.

Then I guess I am not a true american. Nacho Cheese Doritos are quite simply the best snack phenomenon to ever produce a taste bud euphoria so profound that one can't help but marvel at their sheer delicio-sity!! (not a real word, but who cares)

Is it just me or is this little side convo getting way off point here?

then im gonna guess also that you dont watch the colbert report
Quote by valterra

I own a schecter damien 6 and a line 6 Spider iii 75, It's a pretty decent setup, but the amp isn't much for tone. You should definitely go with the schecter though, and the spider amps are much more decent than the people on here make them sound.
I'm going with the Schecter definitely, and most likely the Peavey amp. The Spider didn't seem too terrible, but with all the mixed reviews I'm not yet convinced.

Thanks for everyone's help and also for the entertaining debate about Doritos.
For the love of god don't get a Spider. If you want a modeling amp, get a Peavey Vypyr. Much better sound and more customization for the same price.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme