Ok, I searched and cant seem to find an answer to this!

I have a Peavey Triple X head, and 2 8 ohm cabs. The head has 2 outputs and I want to run the head into both cabs. If I set the head to 16 ohms and run this into the 2 cabs will this be safe? Or do I need the head on 8 ohms to go into the 2.

Tried it for the first time today and obviously the 2 cabs are quieter when on 8 ohms but Im not sure if its set on 16 ohms that each output will send 2 8ohm signals or 1 16 ohm to each.

Hope this makes sense, hope someone can clear it up for me!

Thanks.
It should run the cabs in parallel. Two 8ohm cabs in parallel would equal a 4ohm load. So you should set the amp's output impedance at 4ohms or use one cab at 8ohms.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Or run the two cabs in series with the head at 16ohms if I'm not mistaken
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
You'd have to rewire the cabs to run in series. Most cabs that have an output jack to run other cabs are wired in parallel IIRC.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ahh ok, so I'll need to set the head to 4 ohms or set the cabs in Series. Wasnt sure if the 2 8 ohms added to a 16 ohm output. Cheers guys, thats cleared it up!
Quote by mmolteratx
It should run the cabs in parallel. Two 8ohm cabs in parallel would equal a 4ohm load. So you should set the amp's output impedance at 4ohms or use one cab at 8ohms.

+1

Heres a formula to help you in the future: 1/x + 1/x = y (x being the individual cab loads, y being the total from each 1/x)

For example w/ each cab load at 8 ohms:
1/8 + 1/8 = y
0.25= y

Once you have y do this: 1/y

1/.25 = 4

In the end, you have a total load of 4 ohms, so set your amp to that. Always set your load to equal or less than the load. (Keep in mind setting your amp to less than the total load can strain your tubes.) NEVER go over the total load, that is VERY bad and in extreme cases can INSTA-KILL your tube amp.

Hope this helps.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Last edited by DakoRob at Jun 26, 2010,