What string gauges work the best in standard tuning as well as lower tunings like drop B? I don't really have a seperate guitar i can put heavy strings on so thats why im asking.

EDIT: I should probably mention my guitar is a 24.75" scale
Last edited by Minion2580 at Jun 26, 2010,
11s should work. I have a set of D'Addario EXL115s (11-49) on my Strat and they work well for a wide range of tunings (from standard all the way down to Drop A#).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jun 26, 2010,
11-60? :p
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

+1 on the 10-52s, they're great for most tunings, as long as you don't stray too far from standard tuning, of course, probably down to drop C or so (though personally i've never tried going lower) and are still flexible and bendable even with a capo on higher frets.
10-52 crap out imo anything lower than D. Solid 11's or 12's set do just fine for any tuning. Though heavy, they wont have the same resistance in lower tuning. SRV was known to use even bigger gauge sets in standard tuning btw.
Quote by milliorn
10-52 crap out imo anything lower than D. Solid 11's or 12's set do just fine for any tuning. Though heavy, they wont have the same resistance in lower tuning. SRV was known to use even bigger gauge sets in standard tuning btw.

He used 13s though didn't he? And actually he always tuned to Eb if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

It depends on your fingers. If you can bend heavy strings easily in standard tuning, then by all means use them. If you can't, then they aren't going to work for you. .10 to .52 seems to work well for most people. If you always tune down, then heavier strings are the way to go. But if you use something like a .13 to .56 and tune it back up to E standard, you may find that doing crazy bends is very difficult.

It will also depend on whether your guitar has a tremolo bridge and what kind of bridge it is. Some tremolo bridges don't seem to like very heavy string gauges in standard tuning. At the very least, you'll have to put more springs in it if you normally use only two or three.

Try a bunch of different gauges in different tunings and see which ones work best for you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Zoot Allures
^ he apparently went to something like 14s or more before. Dick Dale also uses 16s in standard tuning on strats :p

SRV always did play in eb. Highest gauge his guitar tech said he used was 18's, which at that point Mike Soldano forced him to go back down to 12's. This was around the time he cleaned up. Dick Dale could use high gauges like that, simply because he doesn't bend often lol.