Okay, I'll be honest. I have no idea where to put this, but here it goes

Well, I have no motivation to learn songs. I just like to write my own, and they aren't that great anyway. If I do learn another song, it is just a short complicated lick or something I use as an exercise. So any advice? I have 1000+ songs in my itunes, so it isn't like I have nothing to learn.

BUT my question is: How important is it learning other people's songs? If it isn't important, screw it, I like writing originals better anyway. But if it is... I want to get better at guitar, that's my main priority, is always moving forward on the instrument.
If you don't want to learn other people's songs, you shouldn't. Instead you should focus on something you like doing, like learning how to write better songs.

Edit: How important is it? Well, it's not necessary. I learn other peoples songs if I like the sound of them and want to see how they achieve it. You know - break it down to keys and scales and see how they work together. If you actually analyse the songs rather than learning a meaningless pattern, you will get more enjoyment out of other peoples songs, and it will help you with your own song writing. So they can help you in that respect.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You get new ideas by learning other peoples songs. For example, here's mine.
Round and Round, Ratt- Taught me harmonized guitar solo's
Modern Love, David Bowie- Guitar as percussion
Say it ain't so, weezer- hammer on barre chords.
I could keep going but i'be made my point.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. And as for knowing how to get certain sounds, I can sort of do that by ear, because I play alot and study scale positions alot (sorry if it sounds like I'm bragging - I know I am not great at guitar at all).
Do what you want to do, that's the beauty of music.

If there is someone you'd like to investigate, then do it.

I played covers for about 17 years and completely stopped for 15 years. You COULD NOT get me near learning or playing anyone else's stuff, I only wrote and played my own. The last 5 years I've been back into learning stuff due to joining established bands and gigging more regularly...and I did gig quite a bit playing all originals. But, now i do both!
Quote by TomusAM
Okay, I'll be honest. I have no idea where to put this, but here it goes

Well, I have no motivation to learn songs. I just like to write my own, and they aren't that great anyway. If I do learn another song, it is just a short complicated lick or something I use as an exercise. So any advice? I have 1000+ songs in my itunes, so it isn't like I have nothing to learn.

BUT my question is: How important is it learning other people's songs? If it isn't important, screw it, I like writing originals better anyway. But if it is... I want to get better at guitar, that's my main priority, is always moving forward on the instrument.

Well its a great way to internalize all the various aspects of music. By playing music on your guitar you develop techniques and aural skills. If you're studying theory, it gives you a meaningful context with which to understand it.

Now, if your one of those artists that are motivated to make your own music from the get-go and are making progress because you listen and apply yourself.......Thats great, I would never discourage that.

But IMO you're missing out on a valuable learning experience (and alot of enjoyment) if you don't spend time with music other than your own.

Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want to play songs written by people other than yourself?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 26, 2010,
You absolutely need to learn songs. It'll test your technical boundaries, give you some new ideas to add to your own songs, and teach you good phrasing techniques...the more vocabulary you have to draw from, the better you'll be. Just learn what you like...and you'll naturally develop your own unique writing style over time.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well its a great way to internalize all the various aspects of music. By playing music on your guitar you develop techniques and aural skills. If you're studying theory, it gives you a meaningful context with which to understand it.

Now, if your one of those artists that are motivated to make your own music from the get-go and are making progress because you listen and apply yourself.......Thats great, I would never discourage that.

But IMO you're missing out on a valuable learning experience (and alot of enjoyment) if you don't spend time with music other than your own.

Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want to play songs written by people other than yourself?

Well, to answer the question: I'm not sure. Normally I just skim through the tab, find the most difficult part(s) and learn that.
Quote by TomusAM
Well, to answer the question: I'm not sure. Normally I just skim through the tab, find the most difficult part(s) and learn that.

try this.

1st of all determine whether or not you can appreciate a piece of music based on something other than how "difficult" it is.

If the answer is no, I definitely can't help you.

if the answer is yes....

Start LISTENING. learn music by EAR. learn ENTIRE SONGS, not just the fast part that makes you look cool.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
try this.

1st of all determine whether or not you can appreciate a piece of music based on something other than how "difficult" it is.

If the answer is no, I definitely can't help you.

if the answer is yes....

Start LISTENING. learn music by EAR. learn ENTIRE SONGS, not just the fast part that makes you look cool.

The only reason I learn the difficult part is to better myself. But I hope you're not getting the impression that I am all about speed, because I'm not. The solos I write are leaning more to a melodic side, because most "shred" music sort of dull(in my opinion).

I could use a bit more ear training, I have always neglected that a bit. Thanks to everyone for the advice
Quote by TomusAM

Have you learnt an entire song before? Do you know chords?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Have you learnt an entire song before? Do you know chords?

Yes, I have learnt some Ozzy and Van Halen stuff months back, but haven't had the motivation since. I do know chords as well(Major, minor, augmented, and so on and the triads to create them), and when I write I like to uses "odd" chords - the min7b5 is a favorite of mine.
I wouldn't say you need to learn other peoples songs to become a better guitarist, but it definetly can help in some ways.

Learning to play other peoples songs can open you up to new ideas that you can put into your own music. By seeing what other guitarists do, you will be able to take that, mess around with it, and put it in your own songs.

Learning to play other peoples songs also help you with technique. If you're just writing your own music, you may not come across as many techniques that you could have learned playing another persons song.

Personally, I haven't learned a song all the way through for a long time, and I have been writting a ton more. What I would do if I were you is analyze songs, or parts of songs that sound interesting to you, or have some type of technique you want to learn. The important part is not learning how to play it, it's about learning something from it and being able to apply it to your own music.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"